Giving Head

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving Head
Ok, so if I was giving you a stripped cylinder head what would you expect to still be included? It's a PD one, but I take it its the same principal as any other DI/CR head.

Obviously injectors, camshaft and lifters have been removed. I've found out the camshaft carriers need to be kept with the block as they are cast together...or something like that lol, I'm not a metal expert lol. But do I need to keep the bearing shells? Or the carrier bolts?

The valves are still there....mainly cos I dont know how they're removed. Tongue But also I think they're usually sold with the head, they're in good condition anyway, they don't look like Ed's. And I'll leave the glowplugs in, they worked fine.

Please excuse my ignorance with this, I never usually touch engines, just the stuff around them, so this is the first one I've actually taken apart. Smile

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Slightly misleading thread title tom.....naughty naughty Tongue lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Where's samass when you need him eh?
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Damn misleading title. Thought we were in luck.

Think you got it though Tom, IMO if leave the valves alone, just take the lifters and cams out
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Here I am!

I am disappoint.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Your always a disappointment. Especially last night. You just weren't good enough. Try harder at Christmas meet eh?
Thanks given by:
Shut your hole, I was awesome last night

Thanks given by:
Depends what the buyer is expecting! If it was me, I'd expect a completely bare head with or without valves, springs and collets.

Not worth taking the valves out (you need a valve spring compressor) unless you need a couple of spares or the buyer plans on doing some head work and fitting bigger valves, as you'd need to recut the valve seats anyway.
Always best to keep the valves cam and followers together as they all wear together. At the very least the cam and followers need to be kept as one, matched with the correct lobe on the cam.

What are you trying to do? Just strip a head to sell it or rebuild one for yours? Makes sure you factor in a couple of days to have the replacement head skimmed prior to fitting. Smile
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 11:29 AM)samass Wrote: Shut your hole, I was awesome last night

Niall did complain of a sore arse
Thanks given by:
if you want to take the valves out, you can do it with a socket and a hammer. just watch for flying collets!

If your really good, you can put them back in with this method as well Big Grin
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Samass if you ever decide to get circumcised, let me know how much you want for the trimmings, I'll retrim my drivers bolster with it. all that dry bumming and still no holes, you've definitely got one up on French cows!
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 11:44 AM)Cheese Wrote: Depends what the buyer is expecting! If it was me, I'd expect a completely bare head with or without valves, springs and collets.

Not worth taking the valves out (you need a valve spring compressor) unless you need a couple of spares or the buyer plans on doing some head work and fitting bigger valves, as you'd need to recut the valve seats anyway.
Always best to keep the valves cam and followers together as they all wear together. At the very least the cam and followers need to be kept as one, matched with the correct lobe on the cam.

What are you trying to do? Just strip a head to sell it or rebuild one for yours? Makes sure you factor in a couple of days to have the replacement head skimmed prior to fitting. Smile

I see you're new....most know the story here already lol. Cams are knackered, lifters have dents and holes lol....car has been stripped for parts but want to sell the bare head if possible. Basically want to know if the carrier bolts and bearing shells could be reused (and the new buyer would expect them) or if they have to be replaced anyway so just bin them. Smile
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 12:28 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Samass if you ever decide to get circumcised, let me know how much you want for the trimmings, I'll retrim my drivers bolster with it. all that dry bumming and still no holes, you've definitely got one up on French cows!

dude, you have issues...

Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 10:41 PM)samass Wrote:
(25-11-2012, 12:28 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Samass if you ever decide to get circumcised, let me know how much you want for the trimmings, I'll retrim my drivers bolster with it. all that dry bumming and still no holes, you've definitely got one up on French cows!

dude, you have issues...

lmao

Thats sweet coming from you! Even if it is true! lol
Thanks given by:
yeah, i have issues, most stem from an unhealthy relationship with my mother we made out once)

but using foreskin as bolster leather... thats just plain weird!!!

(also, rep if you get the reference...)

Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 10:44 PM)samass Wrote: yeah, i have issues, most stem from an unhealthy relationship with my mother we made out once)

I might be wrong, but Scrubs reference?
Thanks given by:
well done good sir, well done...

Thanks given by:
lol Yaaayyy! Thought it seemed familiar, literally the moment i saw what you wrote, i kinda heard it in Todd's voice! Rofl
Thanks given by:
hahaha i wrote it in the Todd's voice lol

Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 10:44 PM)samass Wrote: yeah, i have issues, most stem from an unhealthy relationship with my mother we made out once)

lmao
Thanks given by:
I think you mean the cam carriers are line bored as a pair with the head, that' common machining practice for split bores.

Frankly, why waste your time, just give the whole lot to them if all you're doing is removing scrap, it's not like you're going to do anything with the parts you take out.

Why worry about re-using the cam carrier bolts? If he's building any kind of decent build he'll replace them himself, though at the end of the day it's unlikely to have yielded.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I am reusing the cam and lifters...well plan to, clearly not in another engine though. ninja The injectors have already sold for £130 anyway....

I just don't want to send someone stuff and them come back saying the bolts were stretched or the carrier bearings need replacing, where they assumed as I'd left them they'd still be good to use - or on the other hand I dont want to leave stuff out and get people coming back saying 'oi, wheres the xxxxxx'. Maybe I'm just worrying about it too much lol. Anyway, bit late now...it's already up for sale. Smile
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 12:42 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(25-11-2012, 11:44 AM)Cheese Wrote: Depends what the buyer is expecting! If it was me, I'd expect a completely bare head with or without valves, springs and collets.

I see you're new....most know the story here already lol. Cams are knackered, lifters have dents and holes lol....car has been stripped for parts but want to sell the bare head if possible. Basically want to know if the carrier bolts and bearing shells could be reused (and the new buyer would expect them) or if they have to be replaced anyway so just bin them. Smile

Ah, the old problem of being the newbie! To be honest, unless you're buying a modified or complete head, most people expect to need to do work on them prior to fitting!
I've never fitted a head without stripping it completely and rebuilding it first! Not worth it in time or parts like gaskets, bolts, etc.

Good luck with the sale. Smile
Thanks given by: