exhaust options?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
exhaust options?
I recently made a full straight through, sounded epic but as it had no hanger on the midsection it sagged and hit the subframe, so I just bunged the standard midsection back on, also to make it legal again lol

I'm thinking of having a full 2 3/4" or 3" cat back system made up, with just a backbox, but that will be expensive.. So. If I make a system myself, get the pipe bent up (which is cheap Big Grin ) and do the welding myself, which backbox should I go for?

I've been looking at cherry bombs, but they're clearly all designed for corsa's, cos the inlet is like 40mm, and I can't find one with a 2 1/2" inlet, let alone a 3" one.

All I want it for is to make it legal, If I could I'd go for a full straight through!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
just use a mid box. Easiest way.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
You can get 3" cherry's but they are intended for a mid box which will be fine as a back box
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Your thingie says you has hdi... Do what Danny did to mine, hack out the insides of the cat and weld it back on and put a car back straight through sportex exhaust on it, sounds yummy Smile
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah.. For those that don't know, current setup is: proper decat (pipe welded instead of empty box), standard midsection, straight pipe.

(25-11-2012, 08:22 PM)MrsMidnight Wrote: Your thingie says you has hdi... Do what Danny did to mine, hack out the insides of the cat and weld it back on and put a car back straight through sportex exhaust on it, sounds yummy Smile

When you say straight through? does it have any sort of backbox?

Thanks given by:
That's what she said isn't it??

Take the insides of the cat (not that annoying ginger one your neighbor has) out and use that. Which I believe was one of my ideas that was dis-credited.....
Thanks given by:
Can't take the insides out of the cat, considering it's long since scrapped!

Thanks given by:
Search dum-dum 3" exhaust on you tube and listen to the sound of the 3" system on mine, It sounds epic, almost scooby like.

3" is f*cking huge. I think on a HDi anything more than 2.5" and youll only be doing it for noise rather than power especially with how restrictive the exhaust manifold and turbo elbow are.

IIRC I bought the parts from ashley and they only do one 3" silencer and it would have to be a back box due to the size.

I paid £187 for a 1M straight, 3x 45* bends and a silencer in 3" and I then cut a 4" tip off a really cheap back box from elsewhere.
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 09:18 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Search dum-dum 3" exhaust on you tube and listen to the sound of the 3" system on mine, It sounds epic, almost scooby like.

3" is f*cking huge. I think on a HDi anything more than 2.5" and youll only be doing it for noise rather than power especially with how restrictive the exhaust manifold and turbo elbow are.

IIRC I bought the parts from ashley and they only do one 3" silencer and it would have to be a back box due to the size.

I paid £187 for a 1M straight, 3x 45* bends and a silencer in 3" and I then cut a 4" tip off a really cheap back box from elsewhere.

Yeah, I heard that one, it's epic!!

The restrictive turbo elbow can always be removed and replaced upon fitting a larger blower Big Grin, but you're right, I want the epic noise, but want to keep it legal, and it'd also be nice to be able to get home at night without waking up the whole town! TBH the straight through I had wasn't too loud, and my current setup is silent in comparison!

Thanks given by:
mine is a straight threw with a cobra back box.gained an extra 7 psi and it sounds sweet,not to loud.
Thanks given by:
If you want a fully straight through system but want to keep it "legal" do what I did.
Empty out a shitty eBay back box, cut off the tail pipe and inlet then slide the pipe through the empty back box. Weld ' ninja box' onto the pipe and weld your tip back on!
No one is any the wiser, you have a fully straight through system which appears fully legal!
ninja
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
good shout that, may have to have a go Big Grin

Thanks given by:
It's easy mate, proper PITA getting the perforated pipe out of the middle tho!

Should have taken some pics when I was doing it tho.
Thanks given by:
hmm.. empty box, hole saw, bash pipe through and weld up?

and only evenings this week to get it done before the xmas meet!

Thanks given by:
If the inlet is smaller than your desired pipe diameter and you have to use a hole saw, just pull the baffling out of the holes, saves cutting and welding the box up.
Thanks given by: