Turbo investigation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo investigation
Unless most of the compressor housing bolts all came off in a line, at the same time... its very unlikely the housing would go on the funk like that. It would just rotate and grind down the blades gradually, imo. The backing plate getting loose and then getting KO'd when the waste gate wakes up is where my money would be. It probably got looser over your drive, assuming you we're running gated.if you we're, how tight did you manage to get the arm?

I only noticed on my mates after a test mock up with a compressor to check the waste gate actuator... Was lifting the whole cold side right off the centre cart.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Oh really? Didn't think of that. Wastegate arm wasn't that tight tbh, was tight enough to hold the wastegate sufficiently closed but kept it looser than the T2 as I was using an MBC to control things.

The wg is tight with the adapter plate for the exhaust elbow but I don't think there was that much strength in it to cock the housing. Also the housing has clearly come off the backing plate, which seems to have stayed put.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
In fact looking at the pics, it's the side opposite the actuator that's popped off, so its not the wastegate contacting anything. Going to grind the adapter plate anyway when i swap it over just to be sure, but with the actuator removed the wastegate only opens a few mm on the turbo as standard
Thanks given by:
Ok, we'll that's one thing eliminated I guess. I couldn't really make out much from the pic on the crappy phone but thought it was worth a mention. The compressor we used would have pushed quite a lot of psi into the actuator so would have moved the arm quite a bit more than would be the case in normal operation. So it may just have exaggerated the loose plate. Glad though, as it would have ruined the turbo after a while.

Very annoying when things go tits up like this and it isn't quite obvious as to why.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
exactly. i've been studying the pics though and tbh even if it was caused by that, the actuator plate would have taken out the backplate before the housing, this has visibly bent the retaining washer in that pic and moved the housing away from the back plate. Housing hasn't rotated though so it's popped straight off.

Doesn't quite tie in with darren's theory either as the comp outlet is the same side as the bent washer. If it was boost hoses pushing on the 90degree outlet it would have been the other side that popped off, as the outlet side would have been pushed towards the CHRA, not away.

Confused as feck, unless it was just me not being careful enough?
Thanks given by: