HDI remap - DIY

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI remap - DIY
Firstly, apologies for being a newbie and the 21 questions that will follow.

I have just got a Pug 206 HDi. To me it feels a little sluggish. I tried disconnecting the MAF sensor which did seem to help a bit (it took the Mpg up too).

Has anyone got any horror stories for the DIY remap - I'm thinking of using pro-Steve for the map. I would appreciate any stories - no matter how horrific.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Hello! This is Ned btw who I used to live with in my first year at uni. I pointed him here so no trolling! haha

Its the 2.0 hdi engine so should be the same as what we all run. Ill have to take you out in the estate and show you what a stage 1 feels like. Ive got the remap cable here and the software so we just need a map and your ecu number to get started!
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you need to replace the maf first lol.

Just use a decent laptop (good battery, no blue-screening, etc) and follow the instructions, it's that easy. No point worrying yourself with horror stories; of the few problems that do occur, most are down to the laptop.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Can you suggest somewhere cheap to get one? Other than eBay of course.
Thanks given by:
Pro_steve, Mr Whippy, TB206HDI, all reputable mappers giving decent prices on this engine. Mr Whippy can be contacted through this forum, pro_steve through his website and TB206HDI through the tdoc forum.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I would recommend Mr Whippy top guy always there when you need questions answering, he has helped me no end of times :-)

Thanks given by:
Looking into doing this with a mare that has a suitable laptop and software etc. does anyone know if all the different Bosch ecu's will take the same map or if they each require a different one? His hdi is a year newer than mine and we've looked at the software version on both ecu's and his is newer.

The bosch ecu part number is also 1 digit different mine being a 0 281 010 162. And his ending in 163. He's getting someone to send him a stage 1 map at 125ish bhp for his ecu but if we write it to mine will it work as well or f*ck it as its slightly earlier? I don't wanna end up with a ruined ecu that won't run my daily driver....
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2012, 11:38 PM)ArmzSC6 Wrote: Looking into doing this with a mare that has a suitable laptop and software etc. does anyone know if all the different Bosch ecu's will take the same map or if they each require a different one? His hdi is a year newer than mine and we've looked at the software version on both ecu's and his is newer.

The bosch ecu part number is also 1 digit different mine being a 0 281 010 162. And his ending in 163. He's getting someone to send him a stage 1 map at 125ish bhp for his ecu but if we write it to mine will it work as well or f*ck it as its slightly earlier? I don't wanna end up with a ruined ecu that won't run my daily driver....

they are definitely different! You will need a map specific to the number.
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks for that wasn't gonna risk trying to write mine with the same map and ruining my ecu. I already have the most powerful chip box I could get hold of on it but a map would obviously be better and it wouldn't have cost me more than about £35.
Looking to go stage 2 somewhen next year so I'm not bothered Wink.
Thanks given by:
I'd be interested to know what actually happens if you write the wrong map to a HDi....does it literally kill the ECU or does it just not run right? I mean how different can they actually be, they're using the same info from the same sensors afaik?

I'm not gonna try it though! lol
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 09:31 AM)ArmzSC6 Wrote: Ok thanks for that wasn't gonna risk trying to write mine with the same map and ruining my ecu. I already have the most powerful chip box I could get hold of on it but a map would obviously be better and it wouldn't have cost me more than about £35.
Looking to go stage 2 somewhen next year so I'm not bothered Wink.

yeh from what ive learnt on here you shouldnt be messing around with chip boxes at all. They are just poor generic maps which arent even maps they are just resistors in a box to fool the ecu.
Thanks given by:
Theres nothing technically wrong with a tuning box, afaik its just a resistor that fools the ECU into thinking the engine is getting more air than it actually is - giving more fuel. So basically you lose mpg and gain smoke, but under the right conditions you will get more power too.
Thanks given by:
There is everything wrong with chip boxes, I have seen more than one person have to replace some seriously expensive bits of fuel system thanks to a chip box and one who actually grenaded their engine with it. Admittedly that was after 4 years fitted, but still, anything that does that much damage should never be sold to/by people who don't understand it.

You're right about it's function though, Tom, the resistor convinces the ECU to allow the rail pressure to rise beyond it's normal running pressures. This gives higher rail pressure and more flow, which obviously allows more power. The issue is the extra strain this causes on your fuel system, parts will wear out a lot faster and a brief browse in this section will show you how expensive that can be. Spend your money on a proper remap and don't mess with this crap, it belongs in the same category as electric superchargers and the like.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ah ok, I see what you mean.

But surely remaps put extra stress/strain on engine parts as well anyway? I'm guessing its not to the same extent, but still any engine mods you do will increase the wear on things anyway.
Thanks given by:
(25-12-2012, 06:57 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah ok, I see what you mean.

But surely remaps put extra stress/strain on engine parts as well anyway? I'm guessing its not to the same extent, but still any engine mods you do will increase the wear on things anyway.

You will find so few examples of PROPER remaps causing any long term damage. Talking stage one here of course, even if you did start seeing effects it would be over tens of thousands of miles on usual perishable parts.
The key is getting the right map done by the right person not just a file you download through torrent or buy on eBay
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 10:06 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I'd be interested to know what actually happens if you write the wrong map to a HDi....does it literally kill the ECU or does it just not run right? I mean how different can they actually be, they're using the same info from the same sensors afaik?

I'm not gonna try it though! lol

I've put a 362 on a 162 and it ran fine, just had the EML light on. Was a 'good' file but the wrong software by a long way for that ECU hehe.

Not sure if the 162 hardware were a bit more forgiving as they came on earlier cars, or it was an early hardware... hmmm...

Not tried it on any others.

As per the MAF, this is one area where a proper remap/visit is better than just DIY because a tuner will (or should) give the car a good thorough check over before/after the remapping, fix/diagnose problems where applicable, and basically guarantee your car is 100% where possible before you pay up and leave, and advise where necessary if that isn't so.

I'd get an OBD plug on there and log the MAF sensor to check the readings are sensible during driving... unplugging or running with a dud one will generally not be ideal in either case if you want to get the best from a remap.

Dave
Thanks given by:
After my escapade as Dave well knows about too..

My 2 cars now wont start because of fkd ecu's...to be fair though, it was stupid arse here that got to cocky/smart here with the files the first time, and fkd it Blush. ....now it wont read data or the ecu and if it doesnt start with being flashed via the obd, that chip will need removed and resoldered ect

As for the C5, it was half way through a write and just stopped/froze at 44%....was talking to Dave at the time, he knows how angry I got as that was me with 2 buggered cars Angry

Now I've got a guy coming out to hopefully start the C5, but will send dave the pugs ecu to socket it.

I used the galletto 1260....i dont know if it's a duff cable or my laptop, I'll probably never know....but

As for dave, I've take my hat off to that man (if I wore one lol) he's bloody great, he's helped me no end and still doing so, I really dont know where I'd be without him, he's a credit to tuners in his field

I'll hopefully be on the rd in a couple of days once the mob mr turpin's been out and got the c5 going.

But the bottom line that you asked....does a wrong map kill an ecu.....it did in my 2 cases....well to be honest as I said, I fkd up the first time trying to put the zip on, but the second time I did everything right, just that half way through the write that was it.......that's not anyones fault, just something that happened
Thanks given by: