2.1TD Swap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.1TD Swap
It's not all about making the most torque you can, a vnt doesn't have to ra*e the clutch if setup well... The fact that the boost is so instant, even if there's not massive amounts of it, it makes for such a good drive... Just remember the 12v head is hydraulic lifter...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
haha yeah good point, truck turbos don't come cheap. i take it the head gasket had definatly gone on the sedan then? have you managed to find a decent 2.1 lump yet? if not, i think that ash240970 has one
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I can go for them figuire but not sure how the head will cope on one of them tbh, as ruan says hydraulic lifters but i dont know much about these

As for tht guys torque figuires am not sure as he was full of shite IMO Smile

Im splitting the old derv which has a paddle on wil chek the meat on it if your interested wil sel for bout 10er+postage to u if in half decent nick bud
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2012, 09:32 PM)Ruan Wrote: It's not all about making the most torque you can, a vnt doesn't have to ra*e the clutch if setup well... The fact that the boost is so instant, even if there's not massive amounts of it, it makes for such a good drive... Just remember the 12v head is hydraulic lifter...
Yeah but im no electronics wiz mate. Id ra*e a clutch. I am going for a small ish upgrade turbo and something much more modern so hopefully it wont effect spool times.

(20-11-2012, 09:37 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: haha yeah good point, truck turbos don't come cheap. i take it the head gasket had definatly gone on the sedan then? have you managed to find a decent 2.1 lump yet? if not, i think that ash240970 has one
Yep i have one sitting on the back seat of my car, too big to go in the boot with the turbo still attached, love my practical big booted sedan Sad

I do REALLY need an upper inlet manifold for one though cos mine is missing if you could speak to ash for me.

(20-11-2012, 09:44 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: I can go for them figuire but not sure how the head will cope on one of them tbh, as ruan says hydraulic lifters but i dont know much about these

As for tht guys torque figuires am not sure as he was full of shite IMO Smile

Im splitting the old derv which has a paddle on wil chek the meat on it if your interested wil sel for bout 10er+postage to u if in half decent nick bud

Hydraulic lifters should be fine. Im gonna take mounties figures as being relatively accurate cos I saw the dyno graph for it.

Is the clutch sprung or unsprung?
Thanks given by:
I didnt mean his figuires were innacurate just generally full of shite, noticed a few more echoing this verbal diarrhea haha Tongue but hey hoooo

Its sprung buddy it pulled great on the blaze so guessin should be ok wil know in a week
Thanks given by:
let me know mate, might have to wait till christmas meet though.
Thanks given by:
Remember, hydraulic lifers are not affected so much by power, more by other things like exhaust backpressure etc... And as people have found from the 16v heads, they tend not to flow that well even though you'd think they'd be much better...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
DumDum - you could ask me yourself bud, lol. I'll have to have a look what's on the engine as its sat in my 'parts store' about 12 miles from my house but I can't remember what's on it apart from the fact that its fairly complete with ancilliaries inc turbo but partially stripped for clean, inspection and paint.
I would prefer to shift it in one go if possible as I'm about to lose the storage in the new year but due to the recent increase in popularity of these I may bung it on eBay soon so if you're interested in the lot make me a reasonable offer.
Thanks given by:
Nah mate, only interested in the upper inlet manifold.
Thanks given by:
looking to pop to my breakers on Monday or Tuesday can look for you then chris?
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Please mate.
Thanks given by:
that's cool and don't you think you should change your car in profile by now?whistle
Thanks given by:
Nahh, should probably change my sig too

Oh and got my first turbo today. Only wanted it for its manifold really but it was just too cheap to pass up.

Actually on that subject I dont know if ive mentioned:
The reasons 2.1TDs dont fit is the turbo and manifold hit the bulk head quite badly.

Everyone solves this by gearbox mounting the turbo which is a ballache and means relocating the battery.

Im gonna cut and shut the 2.1TD manifold with a HDi or DT one and sit the turbo right next to the block like on the 1.9s
Thanks given by:
Why's putting it on the gearbox such an issue? Much easier than trying to remount it down the back...
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2012, 12:59 PM)Ruan Wrote: Why's putting it on the gearbox such an issue? Much easier than trying to remount it down the back...
Because I want it to look OEM and because I dont want to have to relocate the battery.

Looks like I might have to though as the turbo wont fit on a cut and shut manifold because of the water rail and thermostat at the back of the block.
Thanks given by:
Someone on here put a td04 downt he back of a 2.1 in a 306, was it noov0s or something? or whats his name witht he black ph1, cant remember, but fitted ok from what i can remember...must be room down there to mount it, even if you have to move the water stuff out the way?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2012, 01:06 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Someone on here put a td04 downt he back of a 2.1 in a 306, was it noov0s or something? or whats his name witht he black ph1, cant remember, but fitted ok from what i can remember...must be room down there to mount it, even if you have to move the water stuff out the way?

aren't the two standard 306 manifolds different? . . . .i think the phase 2 one k03 is it? allows you to fit the td04 without bulkhead smashing . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
You cant move the water stuff, its a completely different fit to the 306 parts.
Thanks given by:
EDIT: i didnt read properly, battery relocation isnt that bad just get wiring out of a beamer

Im currently looking into a twin scroll setup or just a big hybrid oveer box
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2012, 02:45 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: i didnt think a 1.9 mani would fit a 2.1 anyway matt ?

yeah it's just with Dum Dum saying he's gonna cut and shut between the two that's all . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
yeah my bad mate skim readin at work lol
Thanks given by:
Hows the build going? (aside from the mani issues) got any pictures yet?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2012, 01:49 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: You cant move the water stuff, its a completely different fit to the 306 parts.

You can move anything, trust me Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2012, 01:06 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Someone on here put a td04 downt he back of a 2.1 in a 306, was it noov0s or something? or whats his name witht he black ph1, cant remember, but fitted ok from what i can remember...must be room down there to mount it, even if you have to move the water stuff out the way?

I've got a gt2259s round the back Big Grin need to make a new top engine mount for a few mm more clearance to the servo, any top tips Darren? The compressor housing has a majorly giant a/r

dum, this has great potential.. Don't fkin scrap it! Smile
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Mate I was just going to cut off the rubber on one side of the mount buffer, tilt the engine forwards and wedge the bit of rubber on the other side of the mount with some angle cut and bolted to wedge it in.

In my head it would work. In reality i'll probably pop another blower...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hah, mmh I'll have to investigate as I can't quite picture it hung over atm. The turbo is stabilising the whole engine against the servo, so need to actually move the tank thing forward a gd few mm rather than rotate. I've got some 10mm+ steel plate I could use to make a new one as I can't weld aluminium, but would prefer some quick solution to test first.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Liking the solutions but lacking welder, may redrill the mount for another few mm clearance.

In other important news I have the UIM and water pipe I needed so just boost hoses, fmic and consumables needed now.
Thanks given by:
Standard turbo on he 2.1TD is apparently a GT1549S
Thanks given by:
ain't that the same as later 1.9's and hdi's?
Thanks given by:
I would say so.
Thanks given by: