Has my head gasket gone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has my head gasket gone?
I think my head gasket might of gone. My coolant system is presurising and pushing all the coolant out the radiator overflow? This is worse the more boost it gets.

Does this mean that my head gasket has gone / is going?

Also does anyone have any experience of this stuff
http://www.steelseal.co.uk/

apparently it repairs blown head gaskets and cracked blocks.

If it is gone im not replacing the gasket. If it needs work its getting a 2.1TD lump
Thanks given by:
Sounds that way! Is it literally like a hose pipe when you take the rad cap off?
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Blown between a cylinder and water jacket by the sounds of it.. Are any of the coolant pipes properly solid?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2012, 01:44 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Sounds that way! Is it literally like a hose pipe when you take the rad cap off?
Bugger! Yes it literally pisses out. If its up to temp and has just been driven properly on boost there is literally a jet of water coming out of the overflow.

(17-11-2012, 01:45 PM)Tom Wrote: Blown between a cylinder and water jacket by the sounds of it.. Are any of the coolant pipes properly solid?
I dont think any are properly solid but every time I top it up and re bleed it the bleed bit by the fuel filter has f*cking loads of air coming out, like almost all the radiator drained blowing into it.

Anyone got any experience of that steel seal stuff cos ive gotta stop myself buying a £200 xantia TD off ebay right now.
Thanks given by:
Mine did exactly the same when it died!

Surely the steel seal is worth a pop if your gonna replace it anyway?
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine has been doing this for a while now.

Still driving it though as I don't really have the funds to change the gasket. Though mine does it sometimes but not all the time.
Thanks given by:
Used K-Seal twice which is similar but cheaper, lasted about 10k in my Uno and its lasted 4 years in my mates Sierra...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
HG failure.

None of that works. Mind you i did 17k with your symptoms before the oil finally mixed.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Guess I need to get a job sharpish to spend some more money on a better gasket and most likely head bolts.
Thanks given by:
That steel seal stuff I think has occasionally f*cked up heater matrix iirc
But its up to you
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Right off to buy some steel seal.

Realised im still in my PJs though lol
Thanks given by:
It doesnt work.....
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Weather that stuff will fix it or not.....2.1!!
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
apparantly its a guaranteed fix and if it dont work you get your money back. was reading up about it a while ago.
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Yes its gone / head is lifted / warped..

Dont put shit in it, soon as you put radweld / kseal / any of those products in it, you instantly start f*cking up you heater matrix, radiator, engine coolant ways, stat housing...blah blah blah..

A head gasket is a 20 quid item, and for a novice a days work, or mech few hours....no brainer really, but if your really sure you wanna 2.1 it, then get it done now !
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I'd use that seal stuff and be te guinea pig so we can see if it works. Then 2.1 it!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Ive used it, it does not work.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
It will work in moderation, otherwise the companies that provide it would have totally failed within weeks wouldn't they?! But it can't be expected to fix all and any hg problems, sometimes a proper fix is the only way forward. As said, depends how bad it's blown tbh...
Thanks given by:
Its getting poured in tomorrow. My back just isnt up to doing a head gasket.
Thanks given by:
Err, me and Mark Fairy have experience with that kind of stuff. It's horrible horrible stuff and when you see the lumps of shit floating around in it it almost brought a tear to my eye pouring it in. Took weeks of flushes to clear it out.

As for the HG change, piece of piss even with everything in situ. I changed mine in a day with relatively no XUD experience, never changed a cambelt before and never lifted a head with the intention of refitting it. I was 200 miles from home with limited tools and a race against time to get back up to Glasgow for work and still managed it.

Saying that if you get a 2.1 cheap.. give it a go. I'm still curious as to what these 2.1's can do, so much rumour but no real proven projects i've seen...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bloody hell Dum! You've. Not had much luck lately!!

Dont bother with that stuff mate, I used in in an old fiesta and it completely blocked up the heater matrix. Just change the hg or stick the 2.1 in pal
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
So just confirm for everyone, steel seal dosent work on my car. 2.1 time me thinks.
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to seeing how the 2.1 conversion goes mate, get a nice thread on the go of the swop. its seems a swop everyone knows about yet very fiew have tried/succeeded with! good luck Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible head gasket issues? forbeslongden 3 2,420 16-01-2020, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Head gasket (again!) Pughawk 1 1,593 08-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Head gasket and Engine rebuilds. weka 2 2,013 15-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Last Post: weka