solenoid on front of Bosch...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
solenoid on front of Bosch...
hi folks, I've been looking thru the posts to find my answer but no joy. what is the purpose of the solenoid on the front of the Bosch pump? only that I've not got it wired up... I think the pump is off a 96 405, my car being an 88, xud7te engine doesn't have the loom connectors to hook up to it, got the stop solenoid rigged on. any help would be great, thanks.

great forum btw, I've been reading thru the xud posts, very interesting stuff, given me a few ideas!
Thanks given by:
cold start advance

although happy to be corrected as do believe some pumps had solenoids that affect dynamic advance as well as coldstart advance.
Thanks given by:
(16-11-2012, 11:33 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: cold start advance

although happy to be corrected as do believe some pumps had solenoids that affect dynamic advance as well as coldstart advance.

aha, OK. my cold starting is complete pants as it would be, my cable for the cold start was cut on the stat housing, was looking at how to fix that, 25 quid on the bay for a new one. is that cold start solenoid either on or off or is there a middle position? I could rig a switch to operate it to help on these cold mornngs...or should I leave it?
Thanks given by:
could take a feed from the stop solenoid - some peeps run these with a constant 12v for the extra advance

cable just gives more throttle iirc not any more advance, as pulls on and ups the idle speed lever
Thanks given by:
Doesn't quite work like that... It doesn't give you extra advance overall, just shoves more on at idle...

The solenoid fronted pumps have a different dynamic timing system which feeds pressure from the governor, so that the advance system is load dependant rather than linear with engine RPM like the capped pumps... I.e. when you lift off the throttle the advance comes off, and at light load... If you were to watch the IPP with a solenoid pump, when you bash the throttle, the IPP jumps up, giving it more advance, and when you lift, the pressure drops.

The solenoid just allows you to give it a touch more advance for cold start, I wouldn't recommend leaving it on... In honesty, just leave it alone, I run a solenoid fronted pump and haven't had an issue with starting in the 3 years I've had the pump on Wink There's other issues if you have cold start problems.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
right ill leave it alone, I'm currently going through an air in full line beef at the mo, I know its unheard of on a Peugeot....ahem, but its happening. everything changed but leak off pipes, doing them tomorrow, can hear the twot hissing when I pump the fuel bulb, I hope its a leak off, the hiss seems more like its from IP tho...haha goddamn i love the smell of diesel in the morning. smells like ...victory.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No power to Diesel stop solenoid Olly 306 1 1,188 14-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Bosch advance solenoid Uberderv 13 3,902 14-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  fuel cut off solenoid dadaddy35 4 1,769 30-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Last Post: dadaddy35