Electrical Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrical Problem
New here, this is my first post, bought a 306 HDI last week, the clutch cable went last night, i needed to get it home so i started in first gear and crept along slowly (Wasnt far from home luckily) but i had to stop at some traffic lights that were slightly up hill, so i put it in neutral stopped turned the engine off and put it in first again, went to start it but she was struggling as i was on a slight incline, there was a burning smell and all my electrics have now gone and the battery light flashes on and off even with the keys out, so i D/C the battery. Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Check the large loom connector next to the radiator, it's likely corroded and in dire need of a clean. This causes all sorts of issues, including running on.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a fried starter motor/wiring
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
It turns over fine but wont fire so i dont think its the starter motor, could i have burnt out some major wiring??
Thanks given by:
Ah right, I'm out of ideas then heh

best just start looking everywhere for fried wires

Thanks given by:
All the fuses are ok and i cant see any obvious signs of melted wires or burnt plastic etc
Thanks given by:
tried jumping it from a car witha decent battery? might have worn out the battery

Thanks given by:
I said that out loud right? Given it's a fire risk and does anything from leave the fans running to leaving the car smouldering I'd make it your first port of call.
Thanks given by:
Ok C2K ill check that aswell, im thinking its something ive done to it tho rather than some corroded wires, could i have possibly done something to the Ignition Barrel or ECU as the Red Battery warning light on the dash flickers on and off slowly even with the Key out of the Ignition.
Thanks given by:
It was a broken earth strap, all fixed.
Thanks given by:
Sorted, glad it was a nice easy fix.
Thanks given by: