HDi boost gauge nipple

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi boost gauge nipple
Hey, I need to drill and tap the inlet elbow to allow my boost gauge to be connected. But do I have to remove it? Could I not just drill it carefully and get rid of any excess filings? Seems a bit too much effort to remove the elbow and I've seen one person who has done it without removing it, thanks!
Thanks given by:
I removed mine to do it to be on the safe side, plus it meant I could give the elbow a thorough clean out of the EGR crap that was in there.
Thanks given by:
Depends whether you want to risk swarf going through your engine and turbo or not. For the sake of an extra ten minutes to get the inlet elbow off...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
How easy is it to get off? Is it a straight forward job, not removing anything else?
Thanks given by:
are you intercooling the car? if yer best to run off them pipes if not its 2 bolts 2 allen heads (on the egr pipe) and the a jubilee clip very fiddly job to get to but best to take it off than drill it in place

Thanks given by:
Not inter cooling yet, will be in future. Just fitting gauge, okay thanks I'll take a look when the nip arrives
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt want to risk getting swarf sucked through my engine and turbo. The damage would take much longer than an hour to repair.

It is a ball ache getting the elbow off because of how its fitted but it is only 3 nuts, 2 bolts and a jubilee clip.
Thanks given by:
We did it on my old car with it still on the car.. just put a load of thick grease around the drill bit to pick up any swarf, did the trick and the cars still going 20k later with no problems.. It's entirely up to you though, as the others have said you do risk swarf damaging the engine
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sorted it cheers guys i took it off with great difficulty! The dial of my gauge was flickering a LOT so i found out if you put a cigarette filter in the gauge pipe it'll stop this, i've done it and it works perfectly but will it ever get clogged up with crap etc?
Thanks given by:
How dirty was the inside of the elbow, as thats whats going to be gettin pushes through the filter, give you a rough idea of how dirty it will get
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good point, i need to blank the EGR off soon to make sure it doesnt get that mucky again, i properly cleaned it out with engine de-greaser so then hopefully it wont build up that much again
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boost gauge BoldieRob 8 1,949 01-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Last Post: kyler000
  Boost gauge and stock pressure JTaylor2005 16 3,208 27-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Recommendations for boost gauge and fitting kit 306rhys 6 1,915 30-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Poodle