Center console heating panel help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center console heating panel help.
About 4 months ago the heater control panel on the center console on my 306 decided to stop working every so often. It seems to have gradually gotten worse until the last 2 months where it has stopped working altogether. When its not working the center console heater panel controls dont work, the air re-circulate button and air con buttons don't come on either and the blower fan stops.

Can anyone suggest what I can do because it's horrible to drive at this time of year.
Thanks given by:
first thing i would check the basics and check fuses. Not sure which ones but will be in your handbook

Also, do the fans spin at all? Even when in the off position, they should spin very slowly but you might have to stick your head in the passenger footwell to hear it. if not, check the connection on the back of the unit. Its just one blue plug. You have to take the stereo out, inside the stereo opening is two 8mm nuts, take the lower centre console trim off (arround the clock) and undo the two t20 torx bits there. then the centre console should just pop out revealing the 4 t20s holding the unit in.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
thanks for the quick reply mate.

The fueses are all fine. I have checked every one with a multimeter to be sure. I cannot hear the fan spinning, but the one in the roof is.

Is it worth replacing the centre console heater panel to see if it fixes it?
Thanks given by:
only other thing to check is the plug in the bottom of the blower motor. Just need to remove the panel on the bottom of the dash in the passenger footwell and youll see it there. MInd you that doesnt explain why the AC and recirc buttons dont light up.

Yeah personally i think it sounds like a fooked control panel. Can be picked up for about £20-30 on ebay and as described above, is a 5 minute job to fit. Just when you do, remember what colour cable goes to what arm on the right hand dial. If you get them round the wrong way, all sorts of weird things happen!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
well you could always take apart the control panel. there are two types.

First type has a thermal resistor that's the cause of all it's problems solder it back together then clean all pots and that should solve that boards problems

Second type all you can do is clean pots has no thermistor but cleaning the pots normally resolves that boards issues

when cleaning pots spray some cleaner in lug and just under it and operate it liberally lol
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Had another quick look yesterday and everything looks in working order. Just ordered a new control panel off ebay so fingers crossed it will sort it.
Thanks given by:
Mine is doing this too. New control panel has not solved the problem.
Car history (starting Jan 2012):

106 1.1 Zest2 (Scrapped)
206 1.1 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Totaled)
BMW 318i E46 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Engine failure)
306 HDi Estate (Sold)
306 Dturbo in black (Sold)
205 1.9 GTI (Sold)
Golf GT TDI
Thanks given by:
Sad new panel has not solved the problem. Any ideas guys.?

Im worried I will have to sell the car this winter.
Thanks given by:
as i said take out the panel and clean the pots and/or resolder the thermistor......
Thanks given by:
I have already done that mate. I then ordered a new panel its still not working.
Thanks given by:
where abouts are you based?
Thanks given by:
does your car have one of these as these can go open circuit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=...&Model=306
Thanks given by:
Im in nottingham mate.
Thanks given by:
if there is a member near you who can help pm them look in the helpful members thread
Thanks given by:
this is from another site
There should be some green relays next to the fuse board, try pulling them out and checking them over.

If one won't come out or once it's out it's all melted that is your problem.

Check the relay socket to make sure it's not burnt out and swap it for the other green relay and check if the a/c fan etc works. IIRC the other green relay if for the front fogs.
Thanks given by:
I actually do remember one fuse being a bastard to get out...don't think i managed it in the end. I will definitely try that out tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
yes well worth checking the heater/aircon fuses the post i posted says it could be the green relay in the fuse box the spade fittings these push into come loose over time when you turn the heater motor on this causes a resistance and can melt the relay holder/relay swop the green relays around and retry as could be faulty relay internaly.
Thanks given by:
Quick update.

All engine bay and in fuses and relays have now been tested and are all working. I have had 2 heater panels tested on the car now but they still do not power up.

Now I'm not sure what to do....the heating panel was intermittent to start off with and would come on after a while OR when you turn the ignition off and on a few times. Since I de-air con'd the car and fitted a FMIC earlier this year the heater panel has only come on once , but now its been off for months.

Sad ?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the fuse box has corroded on some circuts they can be cleaned up.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heating in 98 XSI Lomas933 5 2,397 13-02-2019, 04:59 AM
Last Post: Lomas933
  heating system odd fault Piggy 6 1,881 26-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Heating Ben 8 2,925 27-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Ben