Internet questions...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet questions...
Right, few things to cover here...
When we moved house we wanted to get faster internet, but my Dad didn't want to loose his e-mail address as he uses it for work. We rang them up and they said there was no way of changing over the e-mail. Not a problem in itself until we asked them how much for fibre here, there response;

'Eclipse Fibre Pro
200GB Monthly Usage Allowance
Unlimited overnight (11pm-9am) downloads
12 Month Contract
Free Router and Modem
Estimated download speed 40mbps
Estimated upload speed 10mbps
£75.00 set-up fee (Ex. VAT)
£49.95 per month (Ex. VAT)'

F*CK THAT!

Bearing in mind we're playing £30 odd a month for what we're getting at the moment, which varies between 1.5/6 D/L. Only problem is that when the speeds are quicker it's impossible to play games online, just lags to shit even though in-game ping is good and have a relatively good download, yet when the speed is slower I don't have any problems at all. Bearing in mind we're 3 houses from the exchange and nothing has changed in the set-up from the old house and it was fine there.

So the two questions that I could do with being answered are;
1) can we move the e-mail adress to a new ISP (currently @webleicester.co.uk)
2) if I took out a contract with say Virgin where you don't need a phone line, can you have 2 internet supplies to the same house?

Apologies if that doesn't make sense, but kudos to anyone that can help!
Thanks given by:
Yes as the address isn't eclipse, then yes you can move it.

Did you purchase the domain through them? All you need to do is request either A and MX record changes for said domain (to point to google for example and use Googles free business mail option) Or request a registrar change (may be harder to do if when you bough the domain you agreed to no registrar swap)

Change the domain registrar to someone else, like godaddy or whatever, then you can specify your own A / MX (DNS records) To point to wherever meaning its ISP independent.

You can have as many ISP's at your house as you line, you just need to pay for a telephone line for each. In the case of virgin since they use their own network and don't use BT. You can technically have Eclipse Fibre (i suspect its using BT's FTTC Scheme?) Rather than their own LLU Fibre scheme... and Virgin. So yes you can have both.

Hopefully thats answered your queries.
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2012, 12:23 PM)Fooby Wrote: Yes as the address isn't eclipse, then yes you can move it.

Did you purchase the domain through them? All you need to do is request either A and MX record changes for said domain (to point to google for example and use Googles free business mail option) Or request a registrar change (may be harder to do if when you bough the domain you agreed to no registrar swap)

Change the domain registrar to someone else, like godaddy or whatever, then you can specify your own A / MX (DNS records) To point to wherever meaning its ISP independent.

You can have as many ISP's at your house as you line, you just need to pay for a telephone line for each. In the case of virgin since they use their own network and don't use BT. You can technically have Eclipse Fibre (i suspect its using BT's FTTC Scheme?) Rather than their own LLU Fibre scheme... and Virgin. So yes you can have both.

Hopefully thats answered your queries.

The address isn't Eclipse, just who they wanted to put us with for fibre.
We've had the domain since we had our first PC, which at the time was a brand new Win95 machine so gives you an idea of how old it is haha!

Will get on the phone to them and see what they say, can see us not staying with them for long as they're bloody pricey for a crap connection and we know what they want for fibre...

May be pestering you again Fooby! :p

EDIT: We never purchased the domain, it's just what the company was called to start with, so was webleicester but has been taken over by K-com. They don't want us to have the e-mail address moved anywhere so not sure what to do.
Thanks given by:
tell them to fyc. If you own the domain (check a whois database, i would but cba) and if you own it rather than someone else. Then you can do what you want with it.

if you live close to your exchange you could have an undiagnosed fault. Can you paste your router stats? I'll take a look see if there is an issue

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
The domain is owned by Mistral...
Quote: Domain name:
webleicester.co.uk

Registrant:
Mistral Internet Group Limited

Registrant type:
UK Limited Company, (Company number: 4272612)

Registrant's address:
5th Floor, Tower Point
44 North Road
Brighton
East Sussex
BN1 1YR
United Kingdom

Registrar:
KCOM Group Plc [Tag = MISTRAL]
URL: http://www.kcom.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: before Aug-1996
Expiry date: 01-Dec-2012
Last updated: 13-Dec-2010

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
ns.mistral.co.uk 195.184.229.229
ns2.mistral.co.uk 195.184.245.245

WHOIS lookup made at 18:02:41 06-Nov-2012

But they've only got it until next month...

As for router stats, what stuff you after?
Thanks given by:
Ok well you could choose not to renew, and then renew it yourself via a domain registrar. But i think there is some sort of time period the domain has to be free. I'm not exactly sure i'd have to check. We'd need to have a proper discussion over this if you are unsure, too much to type.

All of your router information. Login to your router and give me Downstream SNR, upstream SNR, Noise SNR and pretty much anything else ADSL/Signal related.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
'bout all I could find...

ADSL
Type G992_1_A
Modem Status
Showtime
Downstream Upstream
Data Rate(Kbps)
7168 448
Noise Margin
4.5 24.0
Output power
19.9 12.6
Attenuation
45.1 28.0
Thanks given by:
not an amazing amount of info. Although from what i can see looks like your internet is working properly Smile

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC techy help... Slow internet Piggy 17 3,422 20-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Foobys' I'll fix your internet thread' Fooby 109 24,617 28-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane