Forging a bottom end what's involved

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forging a bottom end what's involved
What's involved in forging a bottom end.

Forged rods obviously but what else would be needed?

Guessing new rings will the crank need any work or just new shells and bolt them on?

Cheers
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Would have thought you would need serious power to need anything doing to the crank?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Didn't know if it would need balancing or anything never looked into rebuilding a engine

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
The cranks are pretty indestructible, I've NEVER seen a crank go... They're forged as standard and are beefy as hell, in honesty the entire XUD9 block is beefy, it's just the conrods that are shit...

You could look into the pistons, but unless you're talking SERIOUS power to the point where you're having serious cylinder head issues, they're not bad, I've never seen issues with XUD9 pistons in the past... It's not so much the strength of the piston with indirect injection, it's the heat difference and load on one small area which causes cracking etc, but they're damned strong and if you keep DHY pistons in, they've got a ceramic coating on top...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yea they are pretty strong engines, so all I need is new shells forged rods and new piston rings for when I take the pistons out?

Is it as simple as that?

Thanks for the input

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Obviously you'd want to get the block honed and cleaned up, if I were you I'd also get the engine statically balanced at least, dynamic balancing would be nice too, you wouldn't believe what a difference it makes, stock engines are often up to 5g out over the piston and conrod assemblies, which makes for a horribly rattly engine...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
It's worth doing then ill get it all priced up

Guess it reduces the chances of it spitting a rod?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Sam has just had his done speak to him
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead