Who runs without a filter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who runs without a filter?
Just curious as to who runs without a filter and whether they've had and problems?

I'm guessing running with the filter off but with some induction piping (e.g. the standard piping) is safer then running the turbo with no piping at all?

Perhaps a 90 degree L bend of silicone facing downwards off the turbo would be a good idea so less debris can be sucked in?

Any advice guys?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Not had one on since I changed turbos right after FCS, intake doesn't fit and I couldn't be bothered to make it, plus it looses the stupid restrictive inlet pipe which can only be a good thing, probably need to sort something out at some point but i'm sure it will be fine Big Grin

Also, pointing a 90* bend from the turbo down Confusedhock: how is being closer to the floor going to help? Tongue I would want it further from the floor if anything so it can't suck up shite from under the car/off the road/thrown up by the wheels!!

TBH the only thing that scares me having no intake is water from the front wheels being sucked in when there are massive puddles everywhere but hasn't been a problem yet so I'm not too worried.

Plus...........the noise on boost is epic.................... :dance:
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't fancy risking it myself, sucking leaves and dirt into the turbo can't be a good idea...

Sounds epic though Big Grin
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I think Dave (Ha11) is one of the most recent people to have 'experimented' with it. I think he said he did over 10k on his last setup with no filter and the bores were fine when he took the head off. But its obviously down to luck, you could pull the filter off, drive 2 miles and end up with a stone/leaf/twig/bird stuck in your turbo.

Personally if I had another 306 id run it with a big turbo and just a mesh filter over the turbo intake, like so:

[Image: turbofilter-1.jpg]

Should be enough to prevent anything to harmful getting in there, but with very very little air flow restriction.
Thanks given by:
^^ Dan, you would be amazed at how much restriction that causes! this is what I was going to do, there is even a sieve sat in my workshop to cut up for the job but I CBA! there are 2 more engines in my garage if anything bad happens, sure it'll be grand! lol

THE_Liam Wrote:I wouldn't fancy risking it myself, sucking leaves and dirt into the turbo can't be a good idea...

Sounds epic though Big Grin

You should watch some of the videos Dave put on youtube, you would be amazed what will go through a turbo without damaging it! plus I feel that the turbo will chop most things into small enough pieces for the engine to digest lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:You should watch some of the videos Dave put on youtube, you would be amazed what will go through a turbo without damaging it! plus I feel that the turbo will chop most things into small enough pieces for the engine to digest lmao
Linky!
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPsLLRjA ... ature=plcp

and ofc its related videos!
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Matthew Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPsLLRjAS...ature=plcp

and ofc its related videos!

Good man, they are awesome for LOL's!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Ive pretty much always ran with no filter, but wouldnt anymore....its genrally ok, but does shag your engine / turbo over time, if you do lots of miles, a deffo no no....The bores in my last motor were pretty badly scored given the milage it did...and that was purely down to crap going down the intake....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, obviously my next question is then whats the least restrictive "safe" option as I do use my car for regular 40 mile round trips.

Perhaps adapt a HDi airbox? Or are the stock 1.9 intakes the best way to go?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Personally, make a custom air intake and sack off the standard restrictive pipe. And then use a panel filter in any other cars 'standard' airbox, HDi's are quite bulky but easy enough to source, realistically you could use the airbox of almost ANY car, have a look round and see which ones are a good shape, easy to adapt etc, then just get a good cold air feed to it.
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Personally, make a custom air intake and sack off the standard restrictive pipe. And then use a panel filter in any other cars 'standard' airbox, HDi's are quite bulky but easy enough to source, realistically you could use the airbox of almost ANY car, have a look round and see which ones are a good shape, easy to adapt etc, then just get a good cold air feed to it.

I don't see how you'd replace the standard bend which is already an amazing tight fit.

Obviously if it was FMIC'd there would probably be a bit more room for piping.

Perhaps someone could share a picture of their solution?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
180 bend and along the back of the motor is one way, and up the left side is the other, but thats a bit ugly / dosnt fit brilliantly with bonnet etc....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:180 bend and along the back of the motor is one way, and up the left side is the other, but thats a bit ugly / dosnt fit brilliantly with bonnet etc....

Cheers Darren, would one of those metal 180 degree bends out of the FMIC kits off eBay fit?

Also would 2" be sufficient or is it a case of fit the biggest thing you can down there e.g. 2.5" ~ 3" like Padge?

Top left looks a little crammed already..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
BUMP, anyone got some pictures of their solution?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
As Dan said, i've done well over 10k on one engine, and upton head removal the bores were perfect. The main issue to me, due to it costing the most to me, was the blades on the turbo, you could see foreign bodies had hit them at some point.

[Image: IMAG2743.jpg]

Over time particles in air will just create a fine grit in your engine though. Although I would have more than likely changed engine before then.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I dare not be as brave as you Dave!

I don't really have the money or time to be learning how to swap engines atm should it go wrong (running no filter)! Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Running no air filter...like a boss.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
I do it, wouldn't recommend it...

It does wreck the turbo and the piston rings probably hate me for it.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Mine has a filter... but the pipes arnt connected ill have to sort it out soon and stop being lazy.
Thanks given by:
Well iv NEVER thought this is a good idea tbh, its pretty ridiculous if you need the car day to day, now my mat had a very tacky mod on his Dt, Just a straight pipe to the oem intake with a pair of tights stretched over 1 of the joints, to be honest made a good improvment , but a stone at speed is surly going to tare through?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
on and if i remember correctly Ed had an open filter and sucked some crap into has his nice new expensive turbo and killed it?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
the noise of my t2 now its bin defiltered is epic sounds awsome Big Grin
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
This is my defilter a 90degree bend coming up and that that bit on end is for my foam filter lol
[Image: filter3.jpg]
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by: