Oil Cooler core sizes...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Cooler core sizes...
Right no laughing to the select few who find my religious flirtation with 'the 2nd white line' on the oil temp gauge....

I have a large list of shiny-shiny to procure prior to the Gti's illustrious return to the British road network, and near the very top is an Oil cooler.

Now I am aware of the Mocal ones having shit pressed/spotwelded fittings on them, so if possible I'll be looking @ Seatrab ones (money permitting!)

However, I need opinions; 13 or 16row cooler? It isn't running any more power than standard; but i do intend to take it on track at least a few times a year, including (fingers crossed) a trip to the 'ring later this year!

So can i get away with a 13row, or is a 16 a neccessity?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Alright,didnt want your life story! Lol
Dont see why 13 wont be enough :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks phil; any other opinions?
Thanks given by:
13 row will be more than enough, thats all I have trying to keep a 55psi boosted diesels oil cool....my turbo was probs heating the oil as much as your engine let alone the engine!

Tbh the mocal ones arnt to bad, there only gunna snap off if you literally get a crow bar out, which when its mounted on your car, isnt going to happen...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
What darren said, nothing wrong with the mocal ones, although I have got some setrab ones too and they are better built, they still do the same job...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Lol Darren, tbh my whole engine is smaller than your latest turbo, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gave off more heat :Lmao:

Cheers for the info on the Mocals; I'll save a few pennies and get one of them if they're passable!
Thanks given by:
Soooooo....

If mocal's aren't that bad, that ebay complete kit.... are they any good? Anyone with experience with them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JJC-Oil-Cooler...1923wt_936

Particularly interested in what the pipe & fittings quality is like if anyone has used this kit before?
Thanks given by:
Not sure on quality of kit as I didn't get one, I just got the cooler / thermostat plate new, and then had my local hydro place make up pipes to the length I wanted, full quality hydrolic pipes which will never fail!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Also worth adding, imo its well worth having a thoermos plate....without one, the oil pretty much never warms up on normal driving without covering the cooler in cardboard / tape etc....And who wants to be doing that on there road car all the time, and removing it when they wanna go for a trash....spend a bit more on the stat plate, and youll never have the problem!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Hmm fair doos; I've just read a few things on the internet about the hoses; apparently they're a good option provided They're not used for competition. Rated to 120degrees, rather than comp. spec which is 135degrees. Apparently they'll work at that temp, but go hard and attenuate the life. Meh, tbh I'll be a fucksight more worried about my engine if the oil ever gets past 125degs!!

and yeah, was DEFS getting a 'stat plate; for the sake of £20quid or so it makes life a whole lot easier for road use!
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt worry about rated to 120*C as there will probably be a 10 or 20% safety margin there.

I bought my stat plate off that ebay seller. I didnt get the kit as i had a cooler (vauxhall frontera) and had custom lines made up for a perfect fit.
Thanks given by:
hmm yeah. Well tbh I'd not want it going much above 100, so that should be fine!

Sandwich plate any good then?
Thanks given by: