So...do I win?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...do I win?
Previous MPG record of 61.3MPG smashed today...

SEVENTY THREE EMPEEGEE!!!

73.0. Fo' Serious.

Slipstreamed a tanker most of the way from Birmingham to Cornwall, at ~63mph average. 208 miles for the princely sum of £18.39 (12.96L @ 141.9ppl).

Can anyone beat that?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
no but with veg at 86ppl . . . . i can . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Awaits tom to come and share his picture of the golfs computer say 80 sumin!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
f*ck sake. I can't get over 52 out of mine! Dodgy Angry

How do you do it kez? I USe to average 65mpg from the golf....I've given the hdi a good service, perfect tyre pressures, no major boost leaks, don't drive it particularly hard....yet it still won't get over 52! Sad

What remap do you have?
Thanks given by:
Like I said, this is very much peak economy, there were a couple average speed zones too, so my average speed across the entire journey was probably about 50mph.

I'm on a ProSteve 125 map Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 06:08 PM)Tom Wrote: Awaits tom to come and share his picture of the golfs computer say 80 sumin!

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
that is awesome mpg fair play

ive started stream lining lorries if im in no rush.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The harsh ride on the Pug usually means that if you get anywhere remotely twisty then mpg goes out the window!

I've recorded 55.6 out of a whole tank on mine so far, also noticed that I'm getting better mpg from Asda diesel than Tesco?!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 06:14 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Like I said, this is very much peak economy, there were a couple average speed zones too, so my average speed across the entire journey was probably about 50mph.

I'm on a ProSteve 125 map Smile

What do you average then? Normal driving...

And ok, did you notice mpg get much better after the map?
Thanks given by:
is that 2.00 miles per gallon Tom........no wonder you're always moaning about fuel economy lol
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 06:20 PM)gareth7 Wrote: is that 2.00 miles per gallon Tom........no wonder you're always moaning about fuel economy lol

200mpg...bet the 306 wouldn't do that. Tongue
Thanks given by:
bet your 'orrible Golf wouldn't either lol
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 05:49 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: no but with veg at 86ppl . . . . i can . .Big Grin

^This
Thanks given by:
Haha...clearly it did. Wink

But no seriously...o was towed for that mpg, just drove a bit as well.

But I never had a tankful get more than 67mpg. So kez has done well with that!
Thanks given by:
I couldn't agree more mate, that's bloody good MPG.......but I bet it was a really boring drive lol
Thanks given by:
Lol, even driving boringly I can't get good mpg in the HDi lol, pisetake really, its got 30k less miles than the golf and probably more cam left too! lmao
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 06:20 PM)Toms306 Wrote: What do you average then? Normal driving...

And ok, did you notice mpg get much better after the map?

Urm, depends what you define as 'normal' driving, really, as it's all dictated by where I'm driving. At uni it's all city stuff, so it drops to 50 or less.

My lifetime average, over 3 years, and 30k miles is 49mpg, but from the last couple years, since I learnt how to drive economically I'd guess it's nearer 55.

City stuff, especially really short journeys is what destroys it, I've got it below 30mpg by doing that. Even going on a proper hoon it usually stays pretty near 50 as long as its warm first, and it's a longish drive.

And yeah, I gained a few mpg, up to 5 depending on where I'm driving I reckon.
Thanks given by:
That's pretty impressive dude, i has a new target!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Praise indeed from the man himself! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, I never really do.less than a 25 mile round trip, so not really short journeys tbh. And never boot it before its up to temperature....learnt that in my 1.4 headgasket popping days! lol
Thanks given by:
Think the best i ever managed on a whole tank in a HDi was 730 miles so about 56mpg lol, I just cant be sensible for that long.

73MPG is perilously close to 1000miles to a tank economy.
Thanks given by:
Tongue

Project is nearly back on the road and the gauntlet is most definitely on the ground!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
FFS, I might have to do a week of economy driving, see if I can even get close. But need to free my sticky brakes first Sad

Currently averaging about 42-45, to work and back and around the lakes.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
do you realise how close you have to be to slip stream a lorry? pritty close otherwise you will be in dirty air and may aswell not be behind one. I think it may of been more of a factor of doing 63mph?

Thanks given by:
Ha ha all the 700+ miles a tank posts, most I have ever seen is about 300 iirc and that was driving mrs daisy to Cornwall lol done 3 quarters of a tank in about 70 miles on my last trackday
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think it comes down to driving style... which the HDi is very hard to do well due to very short gearing!

What you really need to do is be happy to drive at 60mph and not change speed. If you start speeding up/slowing for lorries passing or whatever else then you burn fuel and soon get down into the 50's.
Ie, lots of people run 195/50R15 Eagle F1 or PS2 or something sticky and sporty, wheras an eco 195/55R15 would probably see a 10% improvement right off the bat!

The super short gearing also costs you on cruise efficiency. Much over 60mph and you are just running higher revs than you could be to sustain the same rpm. Again, the often used lower profile tyres lower gearing even more making economy worse again (and making brim to brim refill method inaccurate due to rolling rad issues (unless you use GPS)

Get speed up much higher and engine revs higher = more friction. You need more advance on injections and thus want to run more rail pressure = cost on HP pump to deliver the higher pressure, so the tiny gains in torque you get are offset by higher parasitic losses, and also running the higher drags at 70mph vs 60mph!

All in there really isn't much to find vs just running good eco tyres, good state of service (oil and internal engine losses), and driving at a slower speed and not changing it much!

Remember when tuning/remapping for economy it's all down at sub 10mm.3 injections, they are tiny really at 60mph. The extra power needed merely to overcome drag goes up by the square of the speed change so 70mph vs 60mph needs 35% more injection. So simply dropping cruise speed down 10mph will save a great deal of fuel.

As per remap claims, that is all they are. Has anyone ever seen any real data? It's all just claims 'up to' or user reports which are not really reliable.

I remember someone on theywhoshallnotbenamed claiming a 33%+ boost with a remap from the king of economy boosts, while Pete and I have tinkered for 1000's of road miles and can't find anything more than a feint sign economy *might* have improved... hmmmm!

Dave
Thanks given by:
Well when I had my remap, I'd been doing the same commute, with the same driving style for a few months, always getting pretty consistent economy, and it increased by a few mpg, as a percentage it's f*ck all though.

But I agree about the speed though, it makes a MASSIVE difference.
Thanks given by:
Didnt Chris (dum-dum) do a test with his scan gauge and show ~75mph was the most fuel efficient speed?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If so, his scangauge was f*cked lol.
Thanks given by:
Thats fecking good kez, i still cant get nothing better than 40 mpg out my DT ....... to much hooning around country roads Tongue

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by: