Wipers don't auto park :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers don't auto park :(
I've got my MOT coming up in a few weeks and my wipers won't auto park. Think this is an mot fail and need to get it sorted ASAP. Are there any quick fixes or do I really need to replace the wiper motor etc. I've changed the stalk for a known good one so I know that's not the problem.
Thanks given by:
Take it apart and clean it, or swap it
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure thats a failed wiper relay issue. I think it's under the dash and do things like turn on lights and open door, switch on indicators etc to rule out which relays aren't the wiper relay.
Ask around incase it's something else but it's worth a shot.
Thanks given by:
My hands are too painful to be taking stuff apart and messing about - gonna have to get someone to change the wiper assembly/motor over for me as it is unless its the relay. Will check that in the daylight.
Thanks given by:
Right I've checked all the relays and it looks like its a motor issue Sad
Are all motors the same? i.e. will the motor from a car with rain sensors fit one without?
Thanks given by:
Yep all the motors are the same. Get someone to take the cover off it, clean up the tracks and regrease. Much cheaper!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cheers bud - any special grease - only got this stuff [Image: de2y4ede.jpg]
Will it be ok?
Thanks given by:
No you don't want that mate (I don't think) its a case of removing the wiper assembly which involves firstly removing the scuttle panel plastics then the motor bracket, opening up the motor itself by removing the back plate and then cleaning up the 3 contacts inside. I would worry that copper grease could conduct? Which you don't want to happen. Little bit of sandpaper or a small file will do the trick.

I really must do mine as I have the infamous nervous-wiper judder.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Just smear the copper tracks in Lithium grease
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall, would moly grease work? I have to do mine soon and that's all I can find in my toolbox!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 04:20 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Niall, would moly grease work? I have to do mine soon and that's all I can find in my toolbox!

Cant see any reason why not! Only reason why i didn't like the idea of copper slip is as you said, its a conductor!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I have some Vaseline will that work? - I've got plenty of that...............
awaits a comment from Samass Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 04:23 PM)ash240970 Wrote: I have some Vaseline will that work? - I've got plenty of that...............
awaits a comment from Samass Smile

Errr tbh its not something ive ever considered. If ive ever needed grease, ive always just gone and bought it seeing as a small tube an be had for a couple of quid!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah I know but I bought the Vaseline to go on the rear light cluster rubbers to stop the leaks on my ph1
Oh dear, I've managed to get rear, rubbers and Vaseline all in one sentence :0
Thanks given by:
Stop being a tight northerner and go to halfords and get some grease!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'll have you know I'm far from tight and far from Northern - calling people names because of where they come from sounds slightly racist to me - you're beginning to sound like SRowell.

Proud to be British and driving a car built in Britain!
Now there is a valid point - where the hell would this forum be if it wasn't for the workers of the Midlands building our beloved 306's.
Oh yes I forgot because I'm from the Midlands I'm a Northerner to you - well that's fine as long as you don't mind driving round in a car built by us Northerners.
Next time you describe your car as French i'll be the first one to correct you Tongue
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 05:05 PM)ash240970 Wrote: I'll have you know I'm far from tight and far from Northern - calling people names because of where they come from sounds slightly racist to me - you're beginning to sound like SRowell.

Proud to be British and driving a car built in Britain!
Now there is a valid point - where the hell would this forum be if it wasn't for the workers of the Midlands building our beloved 306's.
Oh yes I forgot because I'm from the Midlands I'm a Northerner to you - well that's fine as long as you don't mind driving round in a car built by us Northerners.
Next time you describe your car as French i'll be the first one to correct you Tongue

Anyone can bolt a engine in a shell. R&D on the other hand is a special skill done in....errrm france!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Your argument still holds no validity as far as I'm concerned as i said built not designed and I've found some lithium grease in the garage so I can continue to be 'careful' with my money.
I spent £19 in Halfords wednesday so they're not getting any more of my money for a while.
Thanks given by:
Shudder to think how much more you would have got for your money at another motor factors other than halfords though!
Thanks given by:
I don't - the town I live in is crap and the only motor factors here is shite - it used to be good back in the day when it was A1 motaparts but now they've hardly got any stock in, most of the stuff they sell is cheap Chinese stuff and heavily marked up and the branded stuff they do sell is as cheap or if not cheaper at Halfords despite it being a 15 minute drive to Halfords otherwise its Bromsgrove motor factors for me cos this place in Droitwich is so bad I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than give them my money.
Thanks given by:
Right this is all sorted now thanks to R45 ODV - big thanks for your help on Sunday Smile
Thanks given by:
Was it the motor contacts in the end?
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2012, 12:44 AM)ash240970 Wrote: Right this is all sorted now thanks to R45 ODV - big thanks for your help on Sunday Smile

No worrys mate

(07-11-2012, 07:02 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Was it the motor contacts in the end?

I would say yes just swaped the motor out and replaced it for a known good one and its all working now Smile

Thanks given by:
We don't know and don't give a flying fcuk - we (R45 mainly)just swapped the whole assembly over c/w motor for another one as it was feckin cold and rained all morning right up till about 1 o'clock and he had lots of people turning up for parts at his all day. Oh yeah and my scuttle panel is a bit more fiddly as I have my washer hoses coming through it so he just whipped the lot out and chucked in the one from the 6 he's breaking.

Beat me to it again lol
Thanks given by:
mine took the knock also with the one-touch wipe;
wipers stopping as soon as you let go of the stalk, i took the motor off yesterday and found that the brass contact nearest the centre of the motor had broken off. after cleaning out all the old grease which had turned to mush !!! i bent the remaining bit of contact down so it was level with the 2 un-broken ones. repacked gears with fresh grease,refitted and now it works.
i think the fact that the wing drain under the motor was blocked meant the motor has possibly been sitting in a pool of water until i cleared the drain out last month when i repaired the linkage that kept popping off.....?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to disable auto wipers bashbarnard 8 1,680 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Retrofitting Auto Wipers RetroPug 6 1,466 06-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Auto wipers philpemberton94 12 2,149 05-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Last Post: RetroPug