42 second engine change!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
42 second engine change!
Some of the older generation on here might remember seeing this on the telly, but it just popped up in my "Youtube recommends" section, and naturally it got my curiosity up.

Now i cant quite get my head round how this is done. I watch this and wonder how they mount the engine anyway, what about driveshafts, fuel lines, etc.

Anyone got any theories? I thought maybe dummy engine, and the real engine is in the boot.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What ? Surely not ?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I gotta say i really cant see what they do about shafts unless theyve got some sort of special connector under there.

I dont think its running any sort of coolant hoses either.
Thanks given by:
Repost! They guide the drive shafts in from the bottom as they drop the engine in
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2012, 03:08 PM)Niall Wrote: Repost! They guide the drive shafts in from the bottom as they drop the engine in

Repost?! Really?!?! I dont think ive ever seen this on here, or even on .net! Confused

Good call though on the shafts.

I guessed that cooling wouldnt be essential for the record they were breaking. Saying that though, both the engine and car must have been adapted in some way that they can assure it all goes together easily and quickly.
Thanks given by:
Nothing wrong with QR fittings like some rally cars have for quick engine changes
Thanks given by:
Again...good call. Not too sure why i didnt think of that! Doh lol
Thanks given by:
As dum dum said there don't seem to be any coolant hoses or exhaust, certianly no engine mounts
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Its not running most of the bolts.... they're all loose/missing before fiting too. there was a huge topic on retrorides about how they have done it.
Thanks given by:
I bet there's no coolant at all, and they're just sitting it down on it's mounts, no bolts or anything.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(24-10-2012, 03:15 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote:
(24-10-2012, 03:08 PM)Niall Wrote: Repost! They guide the drive shafts in from the bottom as they drop the engine in

Repost?! Really?!?! I dont think ive ever seen this on here, or even on .net! Confused

Good call though on the shafts.

I guessed that cooling wouldnt be essential for the record they were breaking. Saying that though, both the engine and car must have been adapted in some way that they can assure it all goes together easily and quickly.

*cough*
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-1080.html

They are from Portsmouth and have epic 'tashes ... winning!
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2012, 06:33 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: *cough*
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-1080.html

They are from Portsmouth and have epic 'tashes ... winning!

Oh. Fair enough. I'll get back in my corner and shut up now then. lol
Thanks given by:
What i dont get is how it stops, brakes as if normal but after it's stopped the back end skips about a foot to the side.. why?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
there's no servo assistance so brakes aren't all at same pressure i guess
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  V5C engine change receipt? unclebeast 18 2,933 14-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Piggy
  Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change aggyj17 14 2,432 06-01-2016, 12:17 AM
Last Post: aggyj17
  Engine change procedure incase the worst happens when tuning 306Puggy 10 2,463 29-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Poodle