good handling?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
good handling?
If you want to do it on a budget (assumimg you have a dt) just put gti ARBs on front and back. I seen a HUGE improvnent through this on my DT, i done gti shocks aswell though. But i think of you were to do that add some decent coilovers you would be amazed at how well it improves compaired to OE set up.

Also not all coilovers ride like your mates. My coils on my gti handle like feck but still give a resonable ride

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
yea i know you get what you pay for but damm hahaha dont really see much lower strut brace about tbh :/
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
One on eBay at the moment. And you can buy both on eBay all the time.
Thanks given by:
If you can get one, a ripp lower strut brace can be had for about £60 and is a very very good upgrade. Makes the front much much sharper. Also makes the car much easier to get on 3 wheels if you like! haha

OMP lower ones are shite and dont really do much tbh!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Top strut brace will be a bitch for you to find until you lose the top mount intercooler.
Thanks given by:
so ripp lower one? any preference on the top brace?
Thanks given by:
No omp ones are ok, might not be as good as phil's ones.

But they are stiff and better that the stainless cheese ones.
Thanks given by:
i believe that top brace's are hard to fit over a xantia manifold?
Thanks given by:
Wrong again.

[Image: 40537650.jpg]

Who is telling you this stuff?
Thanks given by:
it was on someones braking thread a while ago when i asked about buying an omp top brace they said they dont clear the manifold Confused
Thanks given by:
Ok well as you can see they do.
Thanks given by:
thanks for that bud huge help!
Thanks given by:
Group engine mounts are also a great help, you dont realise how much your engine moves and tries to drag you off line under heavy cornering untill you swap them.

Other than that if you know how low you want to go then matched springs and dampers (the better make you can afford the better) but ive always got on really well with the GMax stuff.

Other than that new bushes all round, both braces, the best tyres you can afford and the best brakes you can get your hands on and youll be reet

Oh and if you want to see how a 306 can handle then pompey marks car is EPIC especially for a daily driver
Thanks given by:
P.s sorry dumdum. Improved engine mounts do increase vibration through the car, mainly at idle.

Main reason I have not upgraded mine. Just get newer ones.

And thanks for that dumdum, it was fun taking you out at kris's lol.

"Oh shiiittttttt" dumdum comment going through a nice tight corner at 70mph+.
Thanks given by:
hahaha sounds nice! well think for now im just gonna go top and bottom mount, new(if not upgraded) bushes all round, wrap he wheels in some good rubber and 6 brakes? dont wanna go to the point of madness right away all at once Smile have i missed anything essential for good start? and thanks again guys for all this advice
Thanks given by:
Engine mounts do male a difference but I really wanted to stay away from the horrible vibrations you get with the likes of baker bm ones so I went with a powerflex lower and new uppers and will be chocking my upper one tomorrow to reduce movement.

Brakes are obviously important but a set of gti brakes with decent pads and discs are more than enough (although dum dum will tell you otherwise but that's not because he weighs slightly more than the moon).

Then you've got to learn how to use it all! See a lot of people who think they are Collin McRae because they have a decent set up. It's only as good as the driver!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
If you can afford the lower meyle arms and can find them then get those. Will last longer than the bushes you will get and I think they are better.

Gti brakes will be enough for you, no need to go bigger unless you want less weight and better stopping power.

Good tyres are the main thing though, they will keep you on the road.
Thanks given by:
Brakes on a 6, providing they are in a good standard are plenty enough. As mark says, out of everything, don't skimp on tyres. No point in spending thousands on suspension only to have a set of tyres that don't grip. It's pointless. I'm going for Michelin pilot exaltos 2s next. I've got t1rs at the moment and they grip well but the car can corner much faster than they can handle which isn't good news....unless you like under steer which I don't!

If you really want to get deep into it, a cage is a good idea for stiffening the shell and maybe start having other bits of bracing welded in but that's all a bit excessive for road use.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
well yea i think 6 brakes are gonna be good enough im not planning on hooning it everywhere all the time, might in time look into brembos ect and yea cj's already told me about getting powerflex lower and just wedge the upper with a piece of steal or something similar
Thanks given by:
I have a set of 6 brakes if you are interested Wink

Thanks given by:
ive already got some 6 calipers and disks thanks bud Smile just not put them on yet as i need to get some clones to fit them behind
Thanks given by:
Never!! A cage ain't overkill mine is a daily and it's not impractical at all lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2012, 08:16 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Never!! A cage ain't overkill mine is a daily and it's not impractical at all lol

Well I like my comforts. I bet your car is really fun but prefer my comforts haha
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just a Bastid to get into if some fucker parks too close ha ha
Thanks given by:
tbh im slightly a safety freak when it comes to hooning my cars (reason for thread) and i was thinking of a cage for safety reasons lol
Thanks given by:
Safety is something to consider. Bear in mind if you can corner faster, things can go wrong faster. I check my car over quite regularly for things like loose bolts, damaged and worn parts etc. the 306 isn't the worst car in a crash but its also far from the best.
A cage does make things safer and also stiffens the shell up.
This is also where tyres come in. If you buy paradas they are great in the dry. Show them a misting a water and you might as well lock the doors and walk. If its a daily, try and go for a good all round tyre. Might not be the best gripping tyre but if it is the difference between getting out of a corner and ending up on the roof, it's worth the compromise.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
well after reading all the tyres on first page whats good all around? since all these tyres confuse me tbh
Thanks given by:
It's going to be a trade off bud! Rain sports are good all round or as nial said mitchelin pilots are good, Iam going for r888's next time but not till after winter, going to run my spec2's though ha ha they are f*cking blinding in the dry, just drive to conditions when wet
Thanks given by:
When it comes to tyres, spend as much ad you can afford! T1rs are good in the rain and last quite well but realistically they are budget. I had Michelin pilot sport 2s on my old car and they were fantastic in all weathers but were £150 a corner and only come in 17" upwards. The pilot exalto however is supposed to be exactly the same, just a smaller version (13" upwards I think) so I will be buying them next. About £60 a corner for a 195/50/15. The gti6 forum rave about them big time.

I always thought continentals were good but I've got continental sport contact 2s on my skoda (not same handling obviously but hear me out) and they grip well in te dry but are noisy and in the rain they are shocking. The aqua plaining is absolutely shocking which obviously is not safe!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
see your just throwing numbers and letters at me now my heads gonna explode! haha i dont get what the dif is between them all with never having used any of them so something to stay on the road is all i want haha
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Estate handling mods Tabbiss 2 1,818 24-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Scary rear handling! plugy 11 4,081 15-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: plugy
  Dreadful Handling JTaylor2005 39 6,671 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Paul_13