Removing manifold bolts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing manifold bolts
At the weekend I'm going to be swapping my exhaust manifold at the weekend and just want a bit of advice on getting the bolts out. I've done one before and the bolts came out easy but the engine was out so wasn't really a problem if one snapped as I could drill it out.

Any tips on making sure they come out with ease? I was thinking about putting a bit of heat on them then cooling them to try and crack them off first but not sure if this will make them more susceptible to rounding?
Cheers guys!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
What i usually do is get the engine nice and hot first but then your likely to burn yourself lol
Thanks given by:
Lots of swearing and anger needed for those bolts when the engine is in.

Use the sockets that are same shape as bolt, i dont know the exact name, such a noob.

like these
[Image: 4c_socket-sets.jpg]

Not these
[Image: 11751-draper-expert-9-16-inch-1-2-inch-s...5704-p.jpg]

Less chance of them rounding
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah was going to use 6 point sockets.
Im going to start soaking them later today for the week then heat them just before I do them. I would actually cry if one broke or rounded!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
6 point sockets. Thanks now i have a name for them Smile
Thanks given by:
Going to wish you luck also as i'm guessing you're removing the subframe to fit the Gti manifold. when it comes to the bolts on the front suspension legs, remove the tall smaller bolts and not the big bolt, as they're normally seized and snap. I've snapped one, luckily was on a scrap shell. The other thing i would say is the four bolts that are under the floor plan make sure you don't cross thread them as both times i've refitted them at least one of them has been a pig to get to thread in easy, i have no idea why.
Thanks given by:
Nope not going near the subframe hopefully. Theres a easier way of doing it which is tight but I reckon I should be able to do it!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removing inlet manifold & cam cover Orta 14 3,825 26-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Toms306