jammapic's XUD 306 DTurbo Track Car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jammapic's XUD 306 DTurbo Track Car
Id be using tin foil personally
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Id be using tin foil personally
Fair enough, IMO that would be too flimsy for the job and would transfer heat nearly as well as the rad would without it, cardboard is insulating and would keep heat in, plus if its good enough for trucks in the arctic then it'll do me lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
TBH the insulation of gaffa tape compared to a couple of layers of tin foil is hardly a miracle.

Its not to insulate it its to stop the air flow through the cooler.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:TBH the insulation of gaffa tape compared to a couple of layers of tin foil is hardly a miracle.

Its not to insulate it its to stop the air flow through the cooler.

I know its to stop the flow through the cooler, I'm not special :?

My point is that if its covered in metal (tin foil) then that will just heat up too and transfer away some of the heat while gaffa tape wont and cardboard won't because their efficiency at heat transfer is far far less than aluminium, do you follow what i'm saying?

Cardboard will retain the heat and keep it in the cooler, like if you lie on a sheet of corrugated card (like a box) its gets warm where you touch the cardboard pretty fast, this is why tramps use carboard and not tinfoil to keep warm lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Yeah but in reality a sheet of wet cardboard subjected to 70mph winds will still transfer a fair bit of heat away wont it
Thanks given by:
Edit: Get some loft insulation ad wrap it around. problem solved
Thanks given by:
im confused, why are we covering up a 'cooler', why not just remove it? if its causing over-cooling, then surely you don't need the cooler, unless you have some kind of 'extra' filtration system through the cooling route, never saw your setup pal.

sorry if this sounds uber layman?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge removing it involves draining some of the oil out and having a hose with male ends to sit where the cooler would be and if hes not got the water oil heat exchanger then the oil would have no cooling atall and that could cause issues
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:im confused, why are we covering up a 'cooler', why not just remove it? if its causing over-cooling, then surely you don't need the cooler, unless you have some kind of 'extra' filtration system through the cooling route, never saw your setup pal.

sorry if this sounds uber layman?

From many conversations with JP I have gathered that its a track car, for that use the cooling is perfect but on the road your not at full boost all the time and ragging the bollocks off it so the oil just never gets hot enough, removing the cooler would mean having to re-fit it for use on track which just isn't practical so covering to cooler for road use is a simple solution to the problem Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Your got it mark! Perfect in summer and on track... Not in winter on the motorway
JP
Thanks given by:
Old Peugeots generally take an age to warm up in this kind of weather! My DT takes this piss and so is the Rallye at the moment!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Couple of little updates:

Firstly - Polly (the GTi-6) decided she wanted a new engine mount:

[Image: IMG_2082.jpg]

as she fell out with hers:

[Image: IMG_2083.jpg]

And Atterz decided he just couldn't stand my Rallye blanks not being fitted to my car Tongue

[Image: IMG_2085.jpg]

So he felt the need to fit them for me... and promptly regretted offering Tongue Cheers mate! lol

[Image: IMG_2086.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2088.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2089.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2087.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2090.jpg]

Also, found I was leaking a bit of boost from my inlet manifold - so tightened the bolts up:

[Image: IMG_2084.jpg]

Then my boost controller had an absolute fit and ran my big turbo degate... ended up running 2.35bar (so 35psi) for an afternoon and although it didn't shit itself... I did. Scary stuff! Ah well, seems ok and it certainly went like f**k! Tongue

Had a bit of a near miss with a Mercedes the other day too on a wet road... but that's another story!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
jammapic Wrote:Had a bit of a near miss with a Mercedes the other day too on a wet road... but that's another story!

JP

Oh thats why you wanted "those" wheels?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Spot the mods...

[Image: IMG_2093.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2099.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2100.jpg]

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Rallye Blanks suit the car well buddy, better than rusty orange fogs Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Same fire extinguisher as me, yay!
Thanks given by:
Think I have *finally* fixed my oil temperature problem!!

Met up with the Mocal guys at the autosport show a few weeks back and discussed my problem, anyway cutting to the chase they said it could either be that the thermostat wasn't operating correctly, or perhaps the divert hole wasn't big enough and was causing lots of oil to still go through the cooler.

They said they would send me a "race spec" cooler plate, which is much bigger and has bigger diversion hole and better thermostat in it:

Standard plate on the left, "race spec" on the right:

[Image: IMG_2120.jpg]

Standard on top, uprated on the top:

[Image: IMG_2119.jpg]

This shows you how big the diversion is on these:

[Image: IMG_2118.jpg]

Anyway... now fixed - I have oil temps! Smile

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Good work! That is a lot bigger!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice one. Must have loved the boost at 35psi :-)
Forged rods then make it a more permanent feature? Lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ooh hello jammapic, fancy seeing you ere!!

Motors looking good fella Wink
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
So, some new toys arrived courtesy of Motorsport world. Custom valved, custom sprung Avo dampers. Can't wait to get them on :-)

[Image: temporary-1.jpg]

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Ooh special drop link mounts??? Do they come with the shorter drop links or do you need to find your own?

Also how much?
Thanks given by:
I've had some custom ones made. These are built to my specification for what I want, the bodies are slightly different too.

How much? Double what the car is worth!
JP
Thanks given by:
They look really nice! Want some gaz's for mine!
Thanks given by:
I was going to go for Gaz originally, but these were better IMHO when you look into custom kit.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, I haven't looked into it too much yet. Just going to modify what I have at the moment!
Thanks given by:
Mmmmmmmmmmmm shiny things are always good, would love to be able to justify Something like these!

Dum-Dum Wrote:Ooh special drop link mounts??? Do they come with the shorter drop links or do you need to find your own?

Also how much?

Look like normal drop link mounts to me Chris, they are under the shock, stop looking at the brake hose routing............... Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Mmmmmmmmmmmm shiny things are always good, would love to be able to justify Something like these!

Dum-Dum Wrote:Ooh special drop link mounts??? Do they come with the shorter drop links or do you need to find your own?

Also how much?

Look like normal drop link mounts to me Chris, they are under the shock, stop looking at the brake hose routing............... Tongue

I wondered when someone would finally notice he was wrong. lol
JP
Thanks given by:
jammapic Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:Look like normal drop link mounts to me Chris, they are under the shock, stop looking at the brake hose routing............... Tongue

I wondered when someone would finally notice he was wrong. lol

FFS, I really was having brain fade yesterday :facepalm: again

Ive worked out the only reason 306 coilovers dont go stupid low is cos the drop link mount is in the way of threading further down the body so if the drop link mount was lower we could run shorter shocks with more threading and have lower cars with more suspension travel.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:FFS, I really was having brain fade yesterday :facepalm: again

Ive worked out the only reason 306 coilovers dont go stupid low is cos the drop link mount is in the way of threading further down the body so if the drop link mount was lower we could run shorter shocks with more threading and have lower cars with more suspension travel.

How would more threads help?? it will just mean you have even less shock stroke length left, it just needs shorter shocks and springs so there is room for the shock to have some travel, nothing to do with the position of the drop link surely....
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by: