BOOST!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOOST!!!!
You will need all the new looms, dials, engine mounts, gearbox. Will ask my mate as he has just done it! Use a 106 gti box though as these are set up to be quicker lower down ad the vts box is set up to have more top end!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dan Wrote:Cool mate, what ax did you have i had a 1.1 spi such a fun little car lol
This is my old one if you was on axoc you may recognise it

[Image: 38638_10150234415545447_674555446_137314...3381_n.jpg]
Mine was a GTI mate, I wasn't on AXOC though. I'm pretty sure I used the AX box in the end, and I definitely spliced the VTS engine loom into the AX loom, using the original clocks. You need the VTS mounts, but you don't need to do any cutting or welding. I need to dig out my notes though, it was 5-6 years ago now Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
just out of curiosity how much gain would i get from camming my engine now with a decent flowing exhaust, manifold, de-cat and air filter ???

plus i already have the bigger throttle body and manifold from a vtr on my car
Thanks given by:
I have a 4-2-1, sports cat and s/s exhaust, plus vtr inlet and have noticed a big difference! My mate cammed his 1.4 106 and the manifold etc and said he got just over 100bhp!

I'm putting a vtr in mine with cams and throttle bodies!
Thanks given by:
Dan Wrote:just out of curiosity how much gain would i get from camming my engine now with a decent flowing exhaust, manifold, de-cat and air filter ???

Mine ran Piper cams in a ported and polished gas-flowed head, a 4-2-1 with a custom 3" stainless exhaust, a BMC closed induction kit and a remap to make the best of it all, it made 153 bhp on all that but I wasn't happy with the map, I think it had more to give, maybe 160 bhp Smile
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:
Dan Wrote:just out of curiosity how much gain would i get from camming my engine now with a decent flowing exhaust, manifold, de-cat and air filter ???

Mine ran Piper cams in a ported and polished gas-flowed head, a 4-2-1 with a custom 3" stainless exhaust, a BMC closed induction kit and a remap to make the best of it all, it made 153 bhp on all that but I wasn't happy with the map, I think it had more to give, maybe 160 bhp Smile

Is that 1.4?
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:
THE_Liam Wrote:

Is that 1.4?

No mate, I just re-read what he put. I thought he wanted to know what a VTS lump could do with those mods :p
Thanks given by:
well it all depends on what i need to vts it i deffinatly want to do somthing to get a bit more out of it but it depends on how much i can spend
Thanks given by:
Maybe we should just fly the flag for the 1.4! Haha.
Thanks given by:
If you want turbos and FMICs and boost why didn't you buy a diesel?

If you chose the 1.4 for cheap tax, then the newer HDis also have cheap tax, if you bought it for cheap insurance, dont forget the insurance company will ra*e you for all the stuff you're gonna do to it!!

What I will say though (from owning standard 1.4s which can barely handle 75bhp), is you'll have to uprate the gearbox, clutch, suspension (bigger bars at back and something less bouncy up front) AND the brakes, especially if they're only 247s and the little drums. It won't be quick or cheap to do but should be good fun when you've finished if you'd rather have a turbo than a big NA engine. Smile
Thanks given by:
well ive got a GTI-6 Rear beam to go on and hoping to a get GTI front set up aswell soon, but yea you are right i would love a hdi
Thanks given by:
Dan Wrote:well ive got a GTI-6 Rear beam to go on and hoping to a get GTI front set up aswell soon, but yea you are right i would love a hdi

Why not get one then lol? Bigger power gains to be had and already has turbo (easier to upgrade) and better suspension and brakes to start with...............
Thanks given by:
Wheres the fun in buying something already done!
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Wheres the fun in buying something already done!

^^ this, defeats the object of the challenge doesn't it Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Buying a standard HDi and making it your own isn't though
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just a few things to pick up on, If you boost a 75bhp engine at 7psi youll get about 112bhp. If you boost a 100bhp engine at 7psi youll get 150bhp. as 7psi is about 50% more air and providing your AFR is right and the inlet charge isnt too hot you should see roughly that gain.

Tom if he wants to stick to a petrol for the noise than thats cool
Thanks given by:
You can also get bolt on supercharger kits for the TU engines....
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
And bolt on turbo kits for £1500!
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Wheres the fun in buying something already done!

Its not already done, its starting with something thats should be more powerful (almost 2000cc and pug only got 90bhp from it!) and something that should be much stronger to start with, then upgrading parts of that. Smile
Thanks given by:
But everyone does it to hdi's and gti's etc! Let's play with the smaller engines for shigs!
Thanks given by:
But spending £1500 for say 75 to 120 bhp is a lot of cash for not a massive gain.. start with the 1.6 16v then turbo that and be looking at say 180bhp
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm not turning mine! I see what people are saying but its different!
Thanks given by:
Or buy a GTi-6 for £1,500 which is already 170+bhp after good induction and an exhaust, with the suspension and brakes already done.

My flamesuit is at the ready ninja
Thanks given by:
Depends if you're actually buying the kit or just bodging it up yourself...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
T2 turbo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-5-GT- ... _500wt_715

Flange to weld to manifold
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T2-T25-T28-GT ... _772wt_932

Find a cheap FMIC kit and your well away
Thanks given by:
Why follow the crowd and buy a gti?
Thanks given by:
It just depends what you want out of it to be honest. Personally I couldn't just justify spending £1,500+ on a 1.4 306 just for the turbo kit, without even paying for the other necessary upgrades like brakes, suspension, gearbox...The main reason I wouldn't do it though is because eventually you will get bored and you'll have spent £2k on a car that's going to be worth £1,200 even with all of the mods, and that's only to the right buyer too.

Not trying to sound like I'm just knocking this, I think it'll be really interesting to see someone do something different, however I wouldn't do it myself.
Thanks given by:
I won't turbo mine due othe cost, but doing other stuff to see what I can get out of it!
Thanks given by:
Meh, if that's what you wanna do i'm not stopping you lol. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
If you're going to do it, just do it on the bodge...

Unless you're wanting a super quick racing car, you may as well just crack out the arc welder, get some pipes....

With regards to management, seriously don't bother with 5th injectors, they're wank. Megasquirt it, lots of people know how to map them, and if you've got a noggin' you can map it yourself... Thing with these engines is, like DTs, they're 10 a penny, who cares if you melt a few pistons in the process, if you've got some mechanical ability, you might as well try things out.

Wish people would do more of this, this wouldbe a project I'd GENUINELY be impressed with and interested in, rather than someone sticking some cams in a gti6 or just going for a stage 2 map on a HDI... DIY stuff done by someone in a shed is way more interesting.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: