BOOST!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOOST!!!!
Before you say i know its only a 1.4 and probably not worth it but.....

How easy would it be to boost my 1.4 at a low psi ?

Would i need to uprate internals? If not how much could i go?

What turbo could i use?

Would i need to uprate fueling?

Could i use standard engine management?

How could i run the turbo oil feed and return?
Thanks given by:
A few people on SaxP did a turbo conversion on a 1.4 and showed decent results.

Not massively difficult and you could do most of it DIY.

Low boost you could keep the internals standard.

Quite a few of the saxo boys use T2's

Not much point having more air if there's no fuel to burn so a remap would be neccesary

I expect you can use standard management, you can get standalone for around £500

you'd need to modify the sump for a return and then get a feed from somewhere, could use a sandwich plate on the oil filter for this
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cheers mate

So afaik the Renault 5 uses a T2 so i could get hold of one of them quite easy through i friend

Would i have to uprate the oil return spring to allow more oil pressure and im assuming i can baisicly weld like a pipe to the sump for the return
Thanks given by:
DT's also use a T2 Wink

Not too sure on the oil return spring mate, Yeah welding a pipe to the sump for the return would work
Thanks given by:
Sweet ill start looking into it just want somthing to do in my spare time lol
Thanks given by:
No worries mate, has to be said though that it probably would be cheaper to just swap out the 1.4 for something stronger and more powerful to start with
Thanks given by:
I like the idea but turboing a 1600 8v would probably be better wouldnt it? Engine would have to come out to turbo the 1.4 id have thought (well, would make it a lot easier) so may as well swap to the 1600 to start with!
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
If you were going to the hassle of swapping the lump out then just go straight for the 1.6 16v, one of those with a set of cams, decent exhaust and a remap will see 150bhp easy and be lighter than a 6 lump

EDIT: It'd be more reliable than a turbo'd TU 8V too and you could probably do the whole conversion for sub £500
Thanks given by:
the one thing that worries me about this idea is the TU gearbox/diff tjat seems to be made from some sort of substance similar to cheddar...........
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:the one thing that worries me about this idea is the TU gearbox/diff tjat seems to be made from some sort of substance similar to cheddar...........

This too.. Could do a conversion to a 6 gearbox though
Thanks given by:
OR DAN, just get a GTI lump as said previously, get the GTI driveshafts and gearbox, prep it all before it goes in, PERHAPS turbo the 2.0L lump, then drop that in?

turbo on a 1.4 would be a lol, but then people will probably also lol @ you....
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Cituning do alot of turbo kits for saxos and the 1.6 stuff should be interchangeable. They have been selling these kits for donkeys years with proven results. http://www.cituninguk.com/serv_turbocharging.aspx

Theres loads of kits ofr saxos out on the interwebs, the best bet is probably to adapt one of those.

Plenty of people have used the S/C off a mini to great effect as well
Thanks given by:
They're pretty easy to throw a turbo on the 1.4/1.6's what with the exhaust manifold being up front and the flange/short manifold arrangement is basically begging for one.
If you have the iron block you'll be good for 7-8psi, if you're on the ally then 5-6psi is probably about the max on a bog standard engine and headgasket as the liners tend to move....
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
If it were me I would boost the 1.6 16v but anything with a turbo is just win really.

Get up a project thread when you start.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I'd just go with the 1.6 16v, gonna be much easier, cheaper and more reliable than boosting a 1.4 and even as standard should be more powerful. Surprised more people don't do that swap considering how easy it is...

Loads of VTS's lying around in breakers these days Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
1.4 = cheap tax no mater how many turbos you bolt to it.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:1.4 = cheap tax no mater how many turbos you bolt to it.

True, but bear in mind that's only 85 quid a year difference...

One thing though, has anyone done this before? Anyone know what kind of power potential there is?
Thanks given by:
Loads of boosted 106's and saxo's about. Seen a few 1.6's over the 230bhp mark but that with silly money thrown at them too.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
1.4's are 75bhp standard arent they? Id estimate 140bhp is possible @ around 7psi.

Also, do it. Its entirely possible and a bit different, people are far to obsessed with 'do it like this, its easier' these days. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Boost is easier! Big Grin

I'm hoping to wind mine up to about 140bhp, and then boost it....lol
Thanks given by:
1) do it!

2) these engines are good for 200bhp, before you need to update the internals, except or the conrods! Definitely get forged ones!

3) the gearboxes are shite but if pug1off have just made a gear set for the ma box that can handle the extra power!

4) I'm putting the 1.6 8v in mine as you don't have to mess about with all the looms! Just take the old lump out and drop the new one in! The only difference is I'm going to cam and throttle body mine rather then turbo!

Hope this helps!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
well the main reasons for turboing my engine now is because

1. I love the feel of the car when it hits Boost lol
2. If i just fitted a 1.6 8v or 16v no one would really notice the difference
And 3. I WANT AN FMIC!!! ninja lol

I may consider boosting a 1.6 8v as i will more than likely get another engine to work on leaving the car on the road untill i need to swap the engines over
Thanks given by:
This will be interesting Smile I'd definitely go for the 1.6 though if you're going to be boosting it.
Thanks given by:
Is there anyway i can run a 5th injector instead of a remap for fueling aas a friend of mine has turboed his vts at a low psi and untill he get it done properly he is running a 5th injector ???
Thanks given by:
Yes you can mate, 5 th injector with a piggy back ecu
Thanks given by:
Is it really worth buying a piggyback ECU though, once you get to that point you may as well get it mapped and do it properly first time around.
Thanks given by:
I've seen the 5th injector thing done on a twin-cam Sierra, worked well but mpg was shocking...
Thanks given by:
Right been properly looking into it and realisticly its going to be out of my budget unless i collect all the bit over a period of time so i am considering going for a cammed vts lump what are peoples oppinions on this, i would more than likely get the engine and do all the work on it before putting it in as i cant really have the car off the road for a long time.

Does anybody know what i would need to do a vts conversion
Thanks given by:
I'll dig out my notes from when I did it on my AX, but I don't know how much it will help. Should be plug and play though?
Thanks given by:
Cool mate, what ax did you have i had a 1.1 spi such a fun little car lol
This is my old one if you was on axoc you may recognise it

[Image: 38638_10150234415545447_674555446_137314...3381_n.jpg]
Thanks given by: