hdi gearbox conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi gearbox conversion
I'm sure this has been asked on here before, I'm looking at doing an hdi gearbox conversion on my dturbo, how does this affect the driveability of the car? Do people find this better, worse, is it a noticeable change? Would you recommend it if you've done it? Thanks
Thanks given by:
I've fitted one to mine and the box gives you a long gear range. It would all depend if you do short or long runs?
[Image: edit2_zpsbe60b3ca.jpg]

Team derv FLAME and CONROD spitters
Thanks given by:
also all depends on your engine and target drive...

do you want long torquey gears and higher mpg for long runs or do you want a revvy high bhp quick through gears drive
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Stick with the xud box unless you are doing motorway miles and trying to improve economy. The ratios are crap for town/hooning about
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I'm collecting parts to do a Bosch conversion so when that's fitted and tuned I won't have an issue with power/torque.

I do a mix of town and motorway driving, are the ratios that much longer that they would cause Problems or is it just down to personal preference?
Thanks given by:
its about 500rpm less per gear...

bosch conversion alone wont make a huge hike in torque like the big boys here with td04s and 11mm pumps etc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I know that :-P but once it's up and running I do plan on changing the turbo for something beefier dependant upon funds...

Think I might wait until that point to change it, will be more worthwhile when I have extra power/torque to use... Thanks
Thanks given by:
I personally think the bigger the turbo, the worse it will be on a hdi box, soon as you change from say 2nd to 3rd it will drop the revs too low and drop off boost.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2013, 12:06 PM)Ricky Wrote: I personally think the bigger the turbo, the worse it will be on a hdi box, soon as you change from say 2nd to 3rd it will drop the revs too low and drop off boost.

This! A bigger turbo will need revs to spool but with an hdi box you will be constantly shifting out of the power band
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
depends WHAT turbo...another threads purpose
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Anything TD04 sized, even my GT20 wouldn't like the different ratios. VNT would be better, but then I think you will end up torturing the clutch.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
dt clutch with hdi gearbox for the win
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It's already a DT so will have a DT clutch. If you're revving to 6k all the time, you may be ok with a hdi box..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by: