Been offered a swap...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been offered a swap...
Information 
Well, what did you expect? I've had the beigemobile 2 months...

It's coming up for it's MOT soon, and it's gonna need a fair bit of work. I can't really justify spending much on a green 5-door with a beige interior, so I was gonna find a nice HDi, but now I'm pushed for time to save up as the MOT goes at the end of November. Also, I'm now considering a '6 because there are plans to put double yellows on every street around my work, and with me not having a parking place at the office that means the bus. Not a major problem, it stops at the end of my street, it's every 10 minutes and stops a 5 minute walk from the office, plus because my dad works for the bus company I can get a cheap bus pass. Obviously though, if I'm not commuting in the car, fuel economy isn't important and bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp is Big Grin

This brings me to my current question. I've been offered a swap for the beigemobile, my mate has a Ford Puma 1.7 with plenty of tax and test that he can't get his kids in, can't help but think it'd be an interesting banger to run while I save for another 306...
I've driven a Puma before, I did the discs and pads on my mates lasses 1.7 Puma, and when I test drove it I ended up going 20 miles in it because it was such a laugh to drive, really fun to chuck around and very revvy, with enough power to be interesting but not so much as to make thrashing it on the road impossible Smile

It's got slightly crusty rear arches and bad tracking but otherwise it seems fine, so what do we think? Anyone know what their like on fuel, how reliable they are?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Can't see any reason why not.. apart from the fact that it's a ford...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yeah I know...

I keep reminding myself that Steve McQueen advertised it to make it sound less embarrassing. Bit of a lasses car too...
Thanks given by:
Enough power? Really. I think they don't have enough but that's the one thing I can think that's wrong with them
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2012, 10:20 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Enough power? Really. I think they don't have enough but that's the one thing I can think that's wrong with them

The 1.4 and 1.6 seem pretty weedy but the 1.7 has 123bhp and weighs just over a ton, sounds alright to me? My 106 GTI had 120bhp and was just under a ton and that was quick as f*ck...
Thanks given by:
You might aswell get a traders policy with the amount of cars you get through lol. I'd love the beige mobile but no room for another project!

Sent from my rubbish BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
1.7 Puma's are a bit of a gem in the handling department. Mate of mine had a FRP (Ford Racing Puma) with the pumped arches and 155bhp tweaked engine. He went on a trackday with the 306GTi6 boys and had no trouble keeping pace Smile

Rust can be an extreme problem though, so check it thoroughly! And the inside is a bit low-rent, but it's not as bad as the beigemobile!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2012, 08:56 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: 1.7 Puma's are a bit of a gem in the handling department. Mate of mine had a FRP (Ford Racing Puma) with the pumped arches and 155bhp tweaked engine. He went on a trackday with the 306GTi6 boys and had no trouble keeping pace Smile

Rust can be an extreme problem though, so check it thoroughly! And the inside is a bit low-rent, but it's not as bad as the beigemobile!

Cheers dude. I've always liked them racing Pumas, why don't they all just look like that? Yeah I noticed the interior is straight out of the Fester, with some silver trim lol

This one has scabby back arches but it's otherwise pretty solid...

(15-10-2012, 08:26 AM)Pete Wrote: You might aswell get a traders policy with the amount of cars you get through lol. I'd love the beige mobile but no room for another project!

Sent from my rubbish BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Brentacre never charge me anything for changing cars now, so a normal policy is fine. Gonna phone them actually and see how much the Puma would be...

I do miss bwaaaaarp, I think when I've saved up I'll go for a '6 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
The 1.7 zetec is a bit of a peach tbh, one of the best engines ford did... I hate the styling of them, but undeniably they are great to drive... As said though, you'll go out one morning and it'll have washed away... They're not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but nor is any sub 250hp 306 in honesty, but coupled with a good chassis, they aren't half bad...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yea but aren't they not a Ford engine? Developed by someone else I thought....
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
You cant loose pal. Just do the swap

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(15-10-2012, 02:14 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Yea but aren't they not a Ford engine? Developed by someone else I thought....

I bet it's Yamaha, there's a big Yamaha logo on the rocker cover. Wondered why that was...

I know what you mean about the looks Ruan, it looks like it's on stilts! Needs lows badly lol

I'm quite tempted, having a test drive tonight. Oh, and there's definitely gonna be no parking near work soon so my next car will be a '6 once I've saves up Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Well, the head is designed by Yamaha yeah... Bottom end is still a Ford, but then there's loads of engines like that... The Mi16 head was designed by Stihl.... The Volvo Modular engine (t5, t6, 2.5 20v etc) is all a Porsche design, Volvo V8 in the xc90 etc is again a Yamaha, Toyota 3S engine (mr2 turbo, Celica gt4 etc) again a Yamaha design...

All zetec s engines are that design, the 1.25 fezzers are awesome little motors too... But its just a shame all Fords of the 'New Edge' era look shit imho...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
not had much experience with them but keep an eye on the oil level as apparently they drink a little oil from what i have been told
Thanks given by:
Well, turns out this thing is pretty bloody awesome to drive! Feels super tight, revs like a superbike, rides well, smooth gearchange with perfect ratios except at 70 when it screams its nuts off. Hard to believe its just a Fester underneath...
Thanks given by:
Nearly everything appears to be Yamaha when you scratch beneath the surface lol, that motor in my old Celica 190?

Yamaha haha
Thanks given by:
I'm gonna think it over and make a decision this weekend. Priced up what I think the XRDT will need for the MOT, and it's gonna be a lot I reckon...

2x wishbones
2x droplinks
2x rear shocks
2x tyres at least
Handbrake cable
Discs and pads

Not worth doing really for a £250 car I could just swap for something with plenty of tax and test...

I'm not bothered if I scrap the car really, because at £281 total spend including the new rad I can't really lose out. £100 for the pump and lines, £100 for the engine and box and £50 for the beam, weigh the rest in and I've made a profit Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Been offered a car without an MOT, need advice jay8086 13 3,915 27-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jay8086
  been offered a bosch joe2 3 1,092 12-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Last Post: karl1989
  Just been offered a gti-6... RJDubya 17 2,739 18-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Last Post: RJDubya