Weird but.. Recommend a multi-meter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird but.. Recommend a multi-meter?
My step dad bought the last one, hes a big fan of cheap and cheerful, 2 months down the line the wires are falling apart Dodgy So im going to buy one now, just wandering if anyone bought one from somewhere thats particularly good? Or someone owns one that they reckon is good and i could just copy? Cheers everyone Smile

Edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Multim...2ec23e18b3
Thats what i currently have, doesnt even beep straight away when you check continuity, theres a slight pause then it beeps, in a way im glad i broke it lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Fluke! Although there about £60. Well worth it though.
Thanks given by:
I cant justify spending 60quid on a multimeter! I bet its an epic piece of kit but thats a bit much for me haha
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
i got a draper one had it years thats ok
Thanks given by:
one of the yellow ones off ebay. draper i think
Thanks given by:
Iso-Tech IDM 101 meter with a set of GS38 leads here
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2012, 03:10 PM)306carter Wrote: Fluke! Although there about £60. Well worth it though.

£60? my Automotive fluke cost £350 without the extra adaptors. Luckily i didnt pay for it!

tom get a second hand fluke on ebay. They are about as best as you can get and come up quite cheap on ebay second hand
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2012, 05:22 PM)Niall Wrote:
(13-10-2012, 03:10 PM)306carter Wrote: Fluke! Although there about £60. Well worth it though.

£60? my Automotive fluke cost £350 without the extra adaptors. Luckily i didnt pay for it!

tom get a second hand fluke on ebay. They are about as best as you can get and come up quite cheap on ebay second hand

A T5-1000 can be had for £60 ish. I got mine for £48.

Still got 1652 from my old work too that was £450 + leads.
Thanks given by:
For what you need you really don't need to spend over £20! Mine has lived for years too.

Get a digital one as they're easier to read. Ones with crocodile clip attachments are handy too. Mine has been used on cars, computers and scalextric cars Smile
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2012, 08:26 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: For what you need you really don't need to spend over £20! Mine has lived for years too.

Get a digital one as they're easier to read. Ones with crocodile clip attachments are handy too. Mine has been used on cars, computers and scalextric cars Smile

hmm id disagree with that slightly. At least you know with something decent, your going to get accuracy which you dont get with really cheap ones. Just basic testing, doesnt have to be too accurate but for testing sensors and stuff, could be pretty important!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yea but for DIY, it really doesn't need to be overly accurate and even the really cheap ones are pretty damn accurate in this day and age. Wouldn't trust the one my grandad gave me having said that, as it was one of the earliest multimeters with digital display! Nicked the probes off it though!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2012, 08:42 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Yea but for DIY, it really doesn't need to be overly accurate and even the really cheap ones are pretty damn accurate in this day and age. Wouldn't trust the one my grandad gave me having said that, as it was one of the earliest multimeters with digital display! Nicked the probes off it though!

Fair enough. Depends how in depth you want to get into your own fault finding. Me personally, im quite anal with that sort of thing and want to know whats going on so i can fix these things!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
never rely on a meter they all lie!
just use them for referance,
to be acurate they need to be calabrated regulaly and tested before each use on a known referance value

so for home use cheap meters are good enough but i would suggest looking for one with fused testleads but that puts the price up
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a warning meter.... devils_fuel 36 9,415 23-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  multi car insurance kernow_joe 26 7,025 20-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Last Post: procta