My fuel REALLY isn't going very far...need some help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My fuel REALLY isn't going very far...need some help!
Following on from the fuel economy thread I posted a while back, I think the problems getting worse. I filled my tank on payday (28th Sept) and I'm bordering on the red line 2 weeks later, after barely 400 miles. I'm beginning to think I might have a leak somewhere, but haven't got a scooby where to start looking.

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
sounds like you have! jack the car up, start it up then get under! have a good look over the tank and follow the fuel lines up the the engine. check fuel filter housing, lines to pump, pump itself, injector lines, injectors etc.....everything to do with fuel and suply lol

good luck!
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
So there's nothing that's particularly prone to leaking on these then?
Thanks given by:
Check the fuel filler elbow behind the drivers side rear wheel arch Smile

Thanks given by:
Nice, I'll get on that when its not chucking with rain!
Thanks given by:
I'd only get 400 miles out of my XRDT, was fairly urban driving and untuned.

What type of driving do you do? are the brakes ok?
Thanks given by:
definitely something wrong there. youre verging on 1.8 territory with only 400 to a tank! infact i could probably better that!
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2012, 04:35 PM)SRowell Wrote: definitely something wrong there. youre verging on 1.8 territory with only 400 to a tank! infact i could probably better that!

This is kinda what I was thinking, got more or less the same mileage per tank in the 1.4!

And pikey, brakes are all good, rears were only changed 2 weeks ago, and we checked the fronts at the same time. Mine obviously is tuned, and I will admit I generally only do short journeys to and from work, but still thought 400 miles to a tank seemed a bit too low!
Thanks given by:
Check all your leak off hoses, and the lines running under the car. Also check the priming grenade hasn't perished. The tank may have a leak, may even be on the top. Do you get a greasy rear windscreen at all? I used to lose the first couple of gallons from the top of the tank in my old Astra, and that used to get all over the rear screen. I never bothered looking for the leak, just didn't fill the tank!

EDIT: should easy see around 550/tank if you're gentle.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
When did you last service it. Strictly no more than 5k ago if you want economy.

My 405 has done 900 miles to 80 litres, rounded down that's 51mpg. It's got a hdi box and serviced religiously, I also pay particular attention to other aspects of the car that affect MPG's, such as tyre Quality and brand, pressure depending on what driving I'm doing, correct + clean gear oil, engine oil, filters, no boost leaks, I have tracking done every few months or if it starts pulling, I clear my car out but still have toolkit in a bag and a spare wheel. Suspension is best shape ever

Oh, and you could probably up my mpg if my speedo wasn't about 10% under.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Quote:When did you last service it. Strictly no more than 5k ago if you want economy. <br />
<br />
My 405 has done 900 miles to 80 litres, rounded down that's 51mpg. It's got a hdi box and serviced religiously, I also pay particular attention to other aspects of the car that affect MPG's, such as tyre Quality and brand, pressure depending on what driving I'm doing, correct + clean gear oil, engine oil, filters, no boost leaks, I have tracking done every few months or if it starts pulling, I clear my car out but still have toolkit in a bag and a spare wheel. Suspension is best shape ever<br />
<br />
Oh, and you could probably up my mpg if my speedo wasn't about 10% under.

Was last serviced about 1.5k ago, no boost leaks that I'm aware of, still got the standard dt 'box, but I am terrible for keeping loads of stuff in the car! Nospeak

Might have the tracking looked at, but surely that alone wouldn't make my mpg so poor?! As for tyres, using t1r's all round, the fronts were quite underinflated at one point, but are OK now (what psi should they be at? got mine at about 38psi now, they were 32! Doh).

Also, on an unrelated note Kris, did you read my pm? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I'm running 37 front and 34 rear. Pirelli p-zero 195/45/16

Clear your car out. And yeah, tracking makes a difference. If your wheels are out of alignment, the effort required to knacker your tyres comes from your engine. They say that tracking spot-on all the time can on average save you a tank of fuel every year, and your tyres and handling.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, well I've got to replace the front tyres this month anyway, so might as well book it in to have the tracking done as well.
Thanks given by:
Sounds broken. I'm just over 500 to this current tank, and I've only had the fuel light flicker on twice. I win! Tongue
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Make sure you have the most up to date garage for the tracking. Some nowadays use infra red and computers, these are the best. You need to inspect your suspension, steering and lower arms before you have your tracking done. You'll be wasting money if there's play in anything.
Thanks given by:
I regularly get 520 + miles per tank and that's with giving it a bit of stick every now and then and some über economical driving. I'm usually carrying a load of shite in the boot and hauling my 20+ stones weight around.
Thanks given by: