fuel cooling panel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel cooling panel
Bit of an odd question, there is a plastic tray, i think is the right word, which i believe is for fuel cooling, clipped to the bottom of the car under the drivers seat.

Im having trouble with it because whenever my car scrapes on speedbumps (too low for my own good but oh well) its positioned right where it catches. i currently have two plated holding it in place and my questions are:

is it really needed? or could i just remove it and join the pipes? has anyone else tried to relocate it? if so where? any other ideas of how to hold it up as it will eventually fall off again with my far from ideal fix.

thanks for any help

ian
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If it's the bit i'm thinking of then i don't think that's for fuel cooling, i think thats part of the A/C system mate
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yup its a fuel cooler in the return back to the tank Wink
Thanks given by:
Yeah its a fuel cooler....its metal though isnt it, not plastic? Either way mines full of stones so it must really be cooling well. Confused

Tbh though, where would you relocate it to, its in a pretty ideal place for cooling? Maybe just have your car at a sensible height instead lol. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Needs to sit somewhere with turbulent air, could re-route it the drivers arch i guess...? Would need all new fuel lines and stuff.

I'm not normally one for the daft answers, but i think tom might have a point - that fuel cooler is no lower then the bottom of your chassis rails, if it's scraping then maybe you're just a teensy tiny bit too low lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Shit mate, how low are you?

I've never caught anything other than the splitter or I/C piping, and I'm 60mm and drive in the lake district (rough roads central of the UK!)
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
From my workings its about 100mm maybe a bit more drop. The probelm is the brackets that hold it are the lowest part and in the worst place. Only catches on speedbumps and i do my best to avoid them. I can live with it and just keep an eye on it but i was just wondering if removal was an option really.

Thanks though

Ian
Thanks given by:
weld up a tray to go under it?

Thanks given by:
Forget who told me but theyer really imoportant on the HDi.

I had looked at mounting a mocal cooler in the passenger arch (cos the drivers arch had the oil cooler) to get better cooling.

Basically the fuel is compressed to 1500bar (1800bar on mine) and as you know when you compress something it gets HOT, especially at that pressure, all the fuel that isnt injected is returned to the tank via the return line and is cooled en route.

Cold fuel is denser and so will give more power.

Possibly a really pikey fix but the floor in that area is really weak, have you tried hammering/jacking the floor in that area up by a cm or so?
Thanks given by:
Its fitted into the gap between the two lengthways box sections of the floor so its not the actual tray that catches its how i can hold it up in a way that wont snap off over speed bumps as its directly under the drivers seat so its right where it rubs and scrapes.
Thanks given by:
agree with rubberjonny8938576. bolt a tray of some form to protect it
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Tack weld it in place...? Obviously drain of fuel first... lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Anyone got a picture of the thing? I would go and look at mine, but it's dark and raining.

Thanks given by:
I would get a pic but its a bit low to get under haha
Thanks given by: