Drop Links touching Lower Suspension Arm...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop Links touching Lower Suspension Arm...
O hi....

This was happening before I replaced my drop links as well...but noticed it again when I replaced them some weeks ago...so I thought I'd better sort it out!

Basically, I'm sure the savvy of you guys know/can picture what I'm on about. The bottom of my drop link (obviously), (passenger side) are touching the lower suspension arm when the car is level, but obviously not when the car is jacked up.

I've read some interesting things about this, I have read that some other 306 guys in other places have had this problem with two outcomes (all being very similar); One had a bent ARB and some other one was apparently the "ARB wasn't quite centralised".

Just thought I'd post to see if any others have ideas/came across this?

Appreciated,
Matt
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Have you recently fitted struts?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nope....haven't touched them since i bought the car.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
Thanks given by:
Have you had this problem since then?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Well...I guess so, I mean, I noticed this problem about a couple of months ago...then noticed it again just recently when I did the drop links as I said. Really can't tell if anythings bent as I don't have anything to compare it to! :/
Thanks given by:
Well Ive heard of struts being on the wrong side causing drop link issues, but if its only on one side, then I doubt this would be the problem (unless someone replaced 1 strut with the wrong one) measure and compare the arb position on both sides, could be 1 of the 2 you posted about
Thanks given by:
Ah, yea!

Good thinking, I'll have a check after work tomorrow I think. I hope it's not something to do with the actual suspension arm?! O_o
Thanks given by:
I doubt the arm will be bent, cause youd have known about it if it happened
Thanks given by:
Rofl...yea!

Thing is..the actual car is in a bit of a state atm...Looks pretty good, but in terms of bushes etc its all falling apart and needs sorting Tongue

Knocking etc. and now getting some "creaking" which is really bad/annoying when I'm driving Tongue I've already armed myself with some p bushes etc. Just trying to figure out what the f*ck is knocking (reason I also changed my drop links Tongue )
Thanks given by:
Well if you're replacing everything, then just check out the arb whilst you're there
Thanks given by:
Part of the creaking could well be the arb if it's not central in the bushes.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Yea, I'm feeling most of these problem are going to lie with the arb and arb bushes etc. (for knocking etc)

We'll see :/
Thanks given by:
Basically, you've either bent your lower arm, or you need to loosen off the anti roll bar and put it back into the middle of the car.

Ps, not read all the thread. fyi
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
I hope i've not bent the lower arm Tongue

KrisB, some tips on this anti roll bar?...take off drop links, and I guess it will involve something to do with the subframe?

Appreciated,
Matt
Thanks given by:
Not really, just wiggle the anti roll bar back over. Might be easier to replace the bushes too. ARB is bolted to subframe but no need to remove subframe.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Ah!!!

Yea, I know you said you didn't read the above, but yea...I mentioned I'm replacing most of the bushes soon to cure any knocking etc.!

I'm guessing when I'm under neath it tomorrow, it will be easier to understand how you say I should go about it. ;D
Thanks given by:
Dropping the back of the subframe makes it easier imo, but whatever suits you Smile
Thanks given by:
think i may have a similar problem, what symptoms did you encounter??
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:think i may have a similar problem, what symptoms did you encounter??

Are you talking to me? Tongue

Symptoms of how I knew about it I guess?

Just the usual knocking..and the fact when your looking around the wheel you can see the drop link just kissing the arm. Tongue
Thanks given by:
I had exactly this issue.

Undo the rear P bush bolt and nut which holds the ARB, then get a crowbar and lever it across. Problem solved.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Matthew Wrote:Rofl...yea!

Thing is..the actual car is in a bit of a state atm...Looks pretty good, but in terms of bushes etc its all falling apart and needs sorting Tongue

Knocking etc. and now getting some "creaking" which is really bad/annoying when I'm driving Tongue I've already armed myself with some p bushes etc. Just trying to figure out what the fornicate is knocking (reason I also changed my drop links Tongue )

Knocking? When does it knock? When you start the engine? Changing gear? Changing speed? Turning the engine off?

If so, engine mounts want doing. Easy job, just done mine this morning Big Grin
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Yes, knocking. rofl.

It's not the engine mounts. It's gonna be the usual round up of sorting the bushes out...both front and rear wishbone ones, arb bushes...and actually sorting the arb (the suspect of my problem here i reckon, just aint got round to it yet)...

...and ideally replacing my front struts, as ive got some f*cking bad creaking..possibily top mounts tbh on the passenger side...either way...perhaps some coilovers next..i dunno Tongue
Either way...in terms of suspension..pretty bad sounding teehee
Thanks given by:
Knocking and creaking sounds to me like arb bushes are shot, especially with possible arb issues. Maybe top mounts too, worth a look.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yea...as I said...kinda what I'm thinking at the moment. I'm thinking replace the arb..and new bushes ofc. See what happens then Tongue
Thanks given by:
Havent read the who thread.......... But i dont no if its even possible to get it wrong but you have put the drop links on the right way round?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Not on the wrong way round no.
Thanks given by:
just checking :p

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damn spinning drop links Iaitoo 24 6,214 02-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Drop links - and now tie rods :) Iaitoo 11 2,078 16-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Drop links spec mattbarker32 27 4,285 06-08-2015, 04:05 AM
Last Post: maxzy