cleaning alu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cleaning alu
How do you get your bits shiny shiny?

Tried cleaning up my pump case a bit, used some gunk which did naff all even after a few applications and some vigorous stiff brush work.

Not after a polished look on the case, but the clean sandblasted look would be nice.
Thanks given by:
[Image: juga9e4y.jpg]

That's my lower engine mount cradle, I used half a tin of carb cleaner, came up a treat considering its been under a car for 19 years lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
try wonderwheels.....it shifts 99% of everything
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2012, 06:21 AM)gareth7 Wrote: try wonderwheels.....it shifts 99% of everything

It's also good on broad leaf weeds on your driveway albeit a bit expensive!!!
[Image: 2306s.png]

The Old_______and_______Slight Less Old
Thanks given by:
Lol, alloy wheel cleaner didn't really touch it

Left it in diesel for a couple of days which helped a bit, but not much.

Gave up and put it back together, at least there is a hint of silver coming through now
Thanks given by:
Told you carb cleaner!!
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
agreed with jonny, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, petrol, paraffin, anything like that. if it smells like it'll make your head float away from your body, chances are it'll clean it
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
If you have it stripped and as long as its a WELL ventilated area ive always cleaned external bits with caustic soda! Dont leave it in there long as it will quickly eat through the alloy.... Can really see the shit melting off hahah.

P.S. Caustic soda eats Alloy... dont get it on any surfaces that are machined or the likes, thermostat housings/gearbox cases/ inlets e.t.c ive done with the stuff mind :-)
Thanks given by:
Pump is back together and on the car now, but thanks for the suggestions - caustic soda, christ almighty, cleaned the inside of an exhaust with that once, exciting stuff.

Was just going with what I had lying around, but will put my hand in my pocket and try carb cleaner next time, though thought soaking diesel for a couple of days should have done the job.
Thanks given by:
TFR the heavy stuff, caustic soda (2 baths) first bath will go black and just remove dirt but does very little to the shine on the alloy, second bath will make the alloy spotless ;-)
Thanks given by:
i used petrol to clean my engine before i put it in was a great job
[Image: 306sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I normally use petrol tbh nothing seems to work as well
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2012, 07:15 PM)thethorne Wrote: I normally use petrol tbh nothing seems to work as well

Nothing to add, just liked the quote Angel
Thanks given by:
That's all it's good for tbh... whistle

Well, that and setting fire to underpowered pint-sized engines/sewing machines :p
Thanks given by: