Machine Polisher etc.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Machine Polisher etc.
O hi!

I'm going to perhaps invest in a machine polisher soon! A dual action one probably, so there's less chance for me to f*ck something up! Wink

probably going to go for some "kit" that includes obviously the polisher, but with different pads etc and some actual polishes!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/review of any polisher they use!

ps: I'll be available for some "trial and error" on some other people's cars Tongue teehee
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
I use a sealey polisher with 3M/Lake county pads i've used it just over 8 years now (bought it to clean the 306 Smile ) alway get good results i have also used a Meguiars 220 which i found to be good a lot lighter than my sealey, also used a silverline which was heavier than the sealey and didnt spin as fast but that was only 30-40 quid where my sealey was 280
Thanks given by:
Ah, cheers mate!

What's your opinions on either dual action polishers or rotary?

I've heard it's harder to ruin your paint with DA polishers and would be hard for me to get used to a rotary perhaps? - For a newbie. Tongue
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
Thanks given by:
Yeah a DA is prob best but imo its also down to pad being used, when i first got set up i got a load of old panels and just played about to know the boundaries of the pad and burnt through the clear coat quite often until i bought a waffle type pad that has holes/bumps in to help cool the paint surface, i found the 3M to be great as they are colour coded yellow top with yellow pad etc etc, the last few years i've started doing a 2000 wet and dry flat back before starting which really does give good results

This pic is 12-14 month on from having a 2000 flat back (some say it will fade in time)

[Image: IMAG1065.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Now that looks very nice!!

So, what would you recommend then! For a beginner...with a beginner budget Wink Don't want to rush in buying loads of expensive gear not knowing what im doing ^^
Thanks given by:
IMO i'd make sure my budget could stretch to getting a good machine, yeah the silverline is an ok polisher for the ocasional valeter but if your planning a little more then i'd get a 220 a sealey etc etc i wouldnt like to guestimate how many cars mine has done over years and even though i paid alot for it sealey do some quite cheaply THIS

1 of them with a 6" velcroe backing pad you would just need the polish and pads there is a good 3M 3 step kit on ebay (compound/cut/polish) that has polish and pad it is about 100 notes but it would do 15+ cars so could make you that money back Smile

I've done mates cars for 60-80 quid and thats doing them cheap for what it should cost
Thanks given by:
Ah, cool man! Cheers!!

Yea, I haven't thought about the aspect of making some money back...was just thinking personal use etc really! But yea, like the idea of trying to claw back some money from doing mates cars etc!!

Any newbie tips when using one of these machines? Tongue
Thanks given by:
before doing your car go to local scrappy and buy a bonnet and have a play until your comfatable with it, dont stay on the 1 spot too long keep the machine moving and check the paint surface with your hand make sure its not too hot, while practising on a bonnet blister the paint so you know the tell tales of when blistering starts and what sort of temps you should feel etc
Thanks given by:
Ah, good stuff!!

Hope I can improve the paint a bit! It's started to deter-ate a bit since I last polished it (below:

[Image: P3240115edit2.jpg]

and even then, it's not that good..hoping the machine polisher does the trick! Wink
Thanks given by:
That i'd say would only need a 3M yellow and then a final finisher, the shine is there im thinking there are swirls on it ??
Thanks given by:
Yea, plenty of swirls when your standing near it! The picture does it too good..for some reason.

It can be shiney...just the actual paint condition has got some swirls..marks in the paint etc. :/ but only light ones, so hoping they come out with the machine polisher!

Just one of those things, from a distance looks shiney..up close and you can see the paint defects. :/
Thanks given by:
Yeah they will come out light swirls go with just a final finishing pad

This was my old china

before
[Image: DSCF8911.jpg]

split
[Image: DSCF8914.jpg]

after
[Image: DSCF8924.jpg]

That was just washed, dried, Meguirs gold class wax with a final finisher pad then Meguiars hard wax by hand
Thanks given by:
Woah, big difference, can really tell with that split photo!

Well, I hope it goes well and I don't f*ck it up Tongue Looking foward to having a play with one really, should be what im looking for ;D

Cheers
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine buffer routine ginge191 4 1,487 30-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Curt
  rotary polisher recommendations Just Sean 7 1,610 25-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Last Post: cully