XUD powered kit car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD powered kit car
Thanks, chaps Smile

Failed MOT today. No advisories, just excessive play in the nearside top ball joint. Wasn't obvious until they had it up on the ramp with the suspension under no load. Ahh well, that's Ford quality for you! (it's a Transit part). So I ordered a new one at the local auto factors, said it'd be in at 4pm. I turned up and they said it had arrived but the box was empty! I'm not sure how anyone at the other depot could have picked up a box weighing naff all and thought that was okay to send out  lmao Anyway, it's a 'good' fall really. Should be able to retest either Fri or Sat morning
Thanks given by:
Do the side panel matt black too...Then some led riding lights...What a missile! great work re panels/scoop.
Thanks given by:
Passed retest on Tuesday and I've covered about 80 miles in the last 2 days. Got caught in heavy rain today, but had motorbike helmet on and full waterproofs. I'm off on a road trip in 2 weeks time so I'll be prepping for that now. 12v socket, battery isolator switch, maybe a luggage rack, camera mounts, improved gearbox mount. Lots to be doing!

[Image: 20170721_194905.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Still following this after a few years. Very pleased to see it still kicking Smile Still can't see the lack of screen on a road car but nor can a couple of my mates. It certainly adds to the experience tho Smile
Thanks given by:
Good news on the MOT mate.
Theres no alot to it so can't be as much to fail on lol
Thanks given by:
Since 2006 the furthest I've ever been from Leicestershire is Peterborough . I'm now 410 miles away in Scotland with another XUD powered ZX .

[Image: 20170807_164220.jpg]
Thanks given by:
crazy mo fo . . . love it Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Looking good there man.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
You're nearabouts to me would love to see this in the flesh!
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Road trip to Scotland was pretty damn cool. What better way to test your car just after MOT than 1000 miles?

[Image: mappp.jpg]

We set off at about half 9. We pushed back departure 24 hours due to a couple of issues that needed sorting - leak off pipes, oil breather, installing a battery isolator and fitting a 12v + USB socket (proved to be very handy). The morning we left @ half 9:

[Image: rrrr12.jpg]

An hour later in a layby off the A1:
[Image: rrrr14.jpg]

The front right brake was binding slighty. Nothing major, and it was freed off in no time.

Co-op @ Balloch. The first of many 'Irn Bru Extra'
[Image: rrrr16.jpg]

On the way up to Fort William
[Image: rrrr23.jpg]

[Image: rrrr24.jpg]

We took a 12v VHS player. Film Night was a regular campsite feature
[Image: rrrr26.jpg]

[Image: rrrr30.jpg]

Great roads
[Image: rrrr32.jpg]

Old machinery at the roadside
[Image: rrrr34.jpg]

[Image: rrrr39.jpg]

The view from Applecross towards Skye
[Image: rrrr43.jpg]

Applecross campsite
[Image: rrrr01.jpg]

[Image: rrrr05.jpg]

[Image: rrrr06.jpg]

[Image: rrrr08.jpg]

Ready for the return over Applecross pass
[Image: rrrr10.jpg]

Top of Applecross pass
[Image: rrrr11.jpg]"][/a]

[Image: tum.jpg]

What a great trip. The only real mechanical issue was the gear selector housing shearing off. A local garage in Lochcarron helped me out and welded it back up. Otherwise it was disappointingly faultless. I had my photo taken on the motorways and dozens of conversations with friendly folk asking what it was etc. Walkie talkies with a motorbike helmet adapter kit was brilliant, used all the time. I never knew how good a road trip was for figuring out what you want to improve on your car. Diff gearing needs sorting out soon as it was a little high on motorways. I measured fuel economy once from Greenock to Inveraray and was getting 46mpg.

The support car was a '97 Citroen ZX. It shares the same turbo'd XUD lump as my MK. 217k on the clock but she kept on going the whole trip. A great support vehicle! When I do a Scotland trip again it'll have to be 2 weeks minimum. 1 is nowhere near enough

[Image: 20861542_10159112445535526_1771534784707542737_o.jpg]

(09-08-2017, 09:03 PM)Orta Wrote: You're nearabouts to me would love to see this in the flesh!

[Image: st2Csmall2C215x235-pad2C210x2302Cf8f8f8.lite-1u14.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Did you stop at firking point near balloch? Always do for photos on way to loch lomond lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
awesome trip, great to see the XUD was reliable. Didn't mind having no windscreen then?
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2017, 06:22 AM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Did you stop at firking point near balloch? 

Only did a brief stop for food and diesel in balloch. 

(29-08-2017, 02:25 PM)mr_fish Wrote: awesome trip, great to see the XUD was reliable. Didn't mind having no windscreen then?

I prefer having none :Smile used to have a small aeroscreen but it didn't do that much. A full screen takes away a lot of the experience and makes it similar to being in any other car to me.
Thanks given by:
Amazing ...I really want to do a driving holiday in Scotland one day.
What was the mpg like!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
A Scotland roadtrip is awesome. I'd highly recommend 2 weeks min. 46mpg when i did a brim to brim test. That was a lot of stop start with hills and roundabouts, and a binding brake. When i switch diff ratio I'm sure it'll improve too.
Thanks given by:
Awesome trip man, Balloch is only just down the road from my parents.
Very jealous of your Applecross trip, it's massively on my to do list but it needs to be a dry day with the right car and they are very few and far between on the west coast of Scotland.
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2017, 01:22 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Very jealous of your Applecross trip, it's massively on my to do list but it needs to be a dry day with the right car and they are very few and far between on the west coast of Scotland.

[Image: vlcsnap-2017-09-04-00h03m08s392.png]

Yeah we got very lucky with the weather. It was the sunniest day of the trip by far. One thing to bear in mind about applecross is that it's very narrow, and very stop-start. BAC Mono or Austin Allegro, you'll get the same average speed and experience Tongue
Thanks given by:
Looks good fun Ben, good to hear there were no issues with the XUD, you could have a duct behind your radiator into the footwell, then as the engine is cooled the body space is warmed Big Grin

Side note is that taken with your SJ4000 or is it a gopro?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Awesome road trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Yea, a very interesting, unique car on a great road trip. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks given by:
Great trip by the looks. Will have to do Applecross again one day. Loving the support vehicle too!
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2017, 09:42 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Great trip by the looks. Will have to do Applecross again one day. Loving the support vehicle too!

agree, support car is win!
Thanks given by:
It really was a great support vehicle. Sadly it looks like it'll be going to the great scrapyard in the sky in a few weeks though. The tin worm has spread far and wide Sad

Also if you ever go on a roadtrip with multiple vehicles I highly recommend radios. Not only for the convenience but also for when you pick up random people on their radios. We pulled up to Luss on the shore of Loch Lomond to hear a lady giving instructions to someone else, I presume to do with car parking. I proceeded to tell her of an incident on the shore where a swan "had me by the clackerbag". She saw the funny side of it. Also the truckers on the motorways were funny.
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2017, 12:06 AM)Xud Missile Wrote: It really was a great support vehicle. Sadly it looks like it'll be going to the great scrapyard in the sky in a few weeks though. The tin worm has spread far and wide Sad

Also if you ever go on a roadtrip with multiple vehicles I highly recommend radios. Not only for the convenience but also for when you pick up random people on their radios. We pulled up to Luss on the shore of Loch Lomond to hear a lady giving instructions to someone else, I presume to do with car parking. I proceeded to tell her of an incident on the shore where a swan "had me by the clackerbag". She saw the funny side of it. Also the truckers on the motorways were funny.

hahaha, the clackerbag lol

hope you gave each other appropriate call handles
Thanks given by:
I had a diesel leak from my pump so decided to do a rebuild/reseal of another pump and then swap it all over. 

[Image: mk07.jpg]

First startup smoke
[Image: mk08.jpg]

Then I welded up a new exhaust from the dairy bends I got ages ago from the scrapyard. 3" exhaust on an XUD sounds awesome.
[Image: mk05.jpg]

On a side note I found a truck breakers I hadn't been to before which is amazing
[Image: mk01.jpg]

I got a pass to show my car at the Roadkill event at EBC. What a great day out that was. Had to get up at 5am, but it was only an hours drive so I didn't get too cold.
[Image: mk06.jpg]

Spent most of the day chatting to people about cars. Which was nice. 
[Image: mk.jpg]
Thanks given by: