another nearly fire!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another nearly fire!!!!
Got to work this morning, just before I got there I smelt burning so I looked when I got to work, only 300 yards. The pissing rear heated screen relay had decided i didn't need it and decided to set fire to itself....luckily I stopped it burning before it started on something else..... Anyone have any ideas why it did it, I've been using it for the last few week and its been fine, haven't changed anything to do with that......
[Image: Pugsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not sure mate i had similar recently when i fitted a new indicator stalk and had smoke coming from it after being used for a while
Thanks given by:
Wicked. Re-enforces my thoughts about buying a small fire extinguisher in the boot!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Sometimes it happens mate. Contacts could have been arcing inside causing it to get bloody hot.
And don't get a incar fire extinguisher. They just cause more danger than help
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Why's that Niall?

Regards fixing etc?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Surely you don't want it in the boot? Want it to hand like under the passenger footwell or seat
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 02:34 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Why's that Niall?

Regards fixing etc?

Car fires spread very quickly generally and them car extinguishers have so little in, they would probably struggle to put out a dog turd on fire. By the time people have realised the car is on fire, they generally get out and stay away as quick as possible leaving a nice pressurised container in the car. A decent one will have a safety valve. Cheap ones (most of them) probably dont work!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 02:58 PM)HDIkyle Wrote: Surely you don't want it in the boot? Want it to hand like under the passenger footwell or seat

You do after what my auto electrician said about yours lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 03:07 PM)Niall Wrote:
(27-09-2012, 02:34 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Why's that Niall?

Regards fixing etc?

Car fires spread very quickly generally and them car extinguishers have so little in, they would probably struggle to put out a dog turd on fire. By the time people have realised the car is on fire, they generally get out and stay away as quick as possible leaving a nice pressurised container in the car. A decent one will have a safety valve. Cheap ones (most of them) probably dont work!

Oh, I can see the logic in that.

I had a small Flamebeater in the boot of the XS just for peace of mind. Also carried one strapped securely to the rollbar of the MX5. That was mainly because it looked the dogs bollocks though!
Thanks given by:
TBH there only designed for a peace of mind thing for people but realistically they cause more damage. you also get people running back to the car remembering they have it and burning or smoking them selfs. Even commercial extinguishers are rubbish unless you really know how to use them. Plumbed extinguishers might offer a bit of protection but if you have a engine bay fire, it will rarely save it.

anyway, just bung a new relay in and keep an eye on it!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
That one I had in my car worked pretty well Niall Wink

But yes they are shit, and most people leave the things in there so long, they do not work when they try I use them...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Commercial ones work well haha I've put out a fire in the hotel I work at Smile

Thanks given by:
you dont want a fire extinguser in the car as id sooner the insurance pay out than try to repair!
if the cars on fire im going to be out of there and across the field before i sniff any of that toxic black killer smoke!
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 06:35 PM)cully Wrote: you dont want a fire extinguser in the car as id sooner the insurance pay out than try to repair!
if the cars on fire im going to be out of there and across the field before i sniff any of that toxic black killer smoke!

Actually thats a good point as well. Theres some seriously toxic f*cked up shit in cars!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I have a mini extinguisher but it might be coming out soon :/
[Image: Pugsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ive got a flame beater extinguisher attached to the sub in my boot. Peace of mind and I think the only time ive ever got it out was for something not car related!
Thanks given by:
powder ones are best when you let them off out the sunroof going down the town highstreet Big Grin
Thanks given by:
taylon's sedan had an electrical fire that i put out with the extinguisher out my kitchen (ABC powder). luckily the car wasn't far from my house and it hadn't turned into a fireball yet. it was only a little extinguisher too
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2012, 07:39 PM)SRowell Wrote: ive got a flame beater extinguisher attached to the sub in my boot. Peace of mind and I think the only time ive ever got it out was for something not car related!

was that not for when we were getting petrol out of my car for the bonfire at pugfest? that was nice and safe....
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine loom fire roger352 4 2,124 14-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Last Post: zx_volcane