Strange noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange noise
When I'm accelerating, everything's ok. But if I take my foot off and cruise I get a weird noise, bit like when u stick a bit of paper in a fan and the blades hit it. Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
blowing exhaust ? mine did that at about 4k was a loose join on the cat
Thanks given by:
Sounds like from the front tho. Got a new back box to be fitted so will get it looked at when it's being done just in case Smile
Thanks given by:
How loud is it? is it quite high pitched? could be gearbox
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
when mine was doing it it came from under the handbrake console pretty much vibrated like a bitch too
Thanks given by:
No not high pitched mate. Just like a dull rumble or whirr. Sounds like front left :/ so not gearbox either.
Thanks given by:
wheel bearing maybe?
Thanks given by:
It's only when I'm not accelerating so think it isn't that Sad
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2012, 03:51 PM)bowers Wrote: No not high pitched mate. Just like a dull rumble or whirr. Sounds like front left :/ so not gearbox either.

Err, the 'box IS on the left...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(26-09-2012, 05:38 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(26-09-2012, 03:51 PM)bowers Wrote: No not high pitched mate. Just like a dull rumble or whirr. Sounds like front left :/ so not gearbox either.

Err, the 'box IS on the left...

not if you look at it the other way round!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Is gearbox not under ya gear stick? No nothin about cars so assumed it would be?
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2012, 06:17 PM)bowers Wrote: Is gearbox not under ya gear stick? No nothin about cars so assumed it would be?

No in a rear wheel drive car it might be.
On your car, if your standing looking at the engine bay, its under the battery on the right
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I shouldn't laugh, we all have to start somewhere, but lmao
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Seemed like a logical guess to me...
Thanks given by:
Mine was doing this when one of my turbo manifold bolts was loose.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Had this exact noise on the Vectra........was told it was a manifold blow.....the waterpump fell out a few miles later, so not sure if it was the mani or the waterpump lol! Confused Id deffo try tightening the bolts or replacing the gasket on the mani first. Smile
Thanks given by:
I had a noise like this on my old 1.4, and it gradually got worse and worse until the gearbox ate itself. Same symptoms, then one day it made a god awful crunching/grinding noise, and there was no power going to the wheels.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 07:52 AM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: .....and there was no power going to the wheels.

It was a 1.4, how could you tell the difference? Confused lol
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 07:56 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(27-09-2012, 07:52 AM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: .....and there was no power going to the wheels.

It was a 1.4, how could you tell the difference? Confused lol

lmao Fair point! Even less power than usual then. lol
Thanks given by:
Been going on for months not got worse or anything. Have get it looked at just in case Sad
Thanks given by:
Try changing the box oil for proper pug oil and that might give you a better chance of keeping it all intact but seeing as your not very mechanically minded, might be best to take it to a garage. Wont cost much
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just learning that's all. If I'm told how to do something I'll more than likely be able do it lol. Everyone starts somewhere. Just if I was to have a look myself id need to know how to get at it and what signs of damage id be looking for etc
Thanks given by:
ah fair play if your up for learning, crack on! think theres a guide in the guides section
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Id put my money on the gear box knowing how epicly shite they were on the TU's

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(28-09-2012, 07:57 AM)puglove Wrote: Id put my money on the gear box knowing how epicly shite they were on the TU's

Well, they ARE made of cheese! And having had two give up on me in much the same manner, I'd also be surprised if it was anything other than the gearbox. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Well don't know if it's a tu or not? What's the difference? Put in here as in the other people have started threads about tds and gtis
Thanks given by:
what size engine is it?
If its a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol, its a TU. If its a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol, its a XU. If its diesel, its probably broken
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
If you read the bit in smaller writting under the section title on the main page it will explain what each section is for.

Thanks given by:
(28-09-2012, 10:51 AM)Niall Wrote: what size engine is it?
If its a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol, its a TU. If its a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol, its a XU. If its diesel, its probably broken

That's a bit harsh! lol
Thanks given by:
Niall is just up tight about it because hes never had the plesure of XUD coaling Tongue

Thanks given by: