Droning noise?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Droning noise?
Hey guys
The other day coming home from the beach via the mway the car started making a droning noise coming from the front (i think) its not engine related as i switched it off briefly and the noise was still there??

Couple of months ago i have changed the wheel bearings (bith sides) so dont think it could be that,
No play in the wheels, new wishbones a few week ago, new link arms
I did notice that my passenger side cv boot was split and hardly any grease in there so i have had a new boot on with fresh grease but the noise is still there.

It seems to get louder the faster you go, im thinking driveshafts but would like some more opinions please

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Bearings or driveshafts are my thoughts...or maybe drivers side driveshaft intermediate bearing, or something gearbox related?
Any change to the noise when in different gears or when you depress the clutch?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2012, 09:25 PM)samass Wrote: Bearings or driveshafts are my thoughts...or maybe drivers side driveshaft intermediate bearing, or something gearbox related?
Any change to the noise when in different gears or when you depress the clutch?

Not sure ill check on that tomorrow,
Could bearings possibly go after 2k ish??
Thanks given by:
Did you torque the hub nuts properly? If not the bearings can wear quicker, although 2 months does seem quick tbh!
Thanks given by:
Well, shit ones could, or defective ones could. If they have, they'll be covered under warranty I'd imagine. Take the wheel off and turn the hub by hand, you should be able to feel notchyness or general non smooth rolling if it the hub bearings
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2012, 09:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Did you torque the hub nuts properly? If not the bearings can wear quicker, although 2 months does seem quick tbh!

Well didnt use a torque ratchet but used a strong bar and a heavy dose of mtfu, should of been tight enough really

(25-09-2012, 11:36 PM)samass Wrote: Well, shit ones could, or defective ones could. If they have, they'll be covered under warranty I'd imagine. Take the wheel off and turn the hub by hand, you should be able to feel notchyness or general non smooth rolling if it the hub bearings

I'll try that aswell, i tried grabbing the wheel at various angles and giving it a shake but no play at all BUT before i replaced them there wasnt any play but they was still broken hmmm
Thanks given by:
Right been for a little drive and the noise is still there when you press the clutch pedal it stays exactly the same and gets louder the faster you go,

Think im going to have to replace the wheel bearing again incase i got a shit one
Thanks given by:
What made you think the wheel bearings were gone before?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(26-09-2012, 01:19 PM)Poodle Wrote: What made you think the wheel bearings were gone before?

Because it was making a droning noise and when i changed em the noise stopped instantly also when i took the old 1's out they didn't feel smooth atall so figured i got it right lol
Thanks given by:
Seems legit. Maybe got crap ones in then, how much did they set you back?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
..hmm my bets would be you have recently required a female of some description and sat her in the passengers seat? Check the passenger seat, if there's no one there whilst the droning is sounding, then i'd check the above; i'd bet driveshaft problems. Check the CV boot isnt damaged and gone dry/dirty.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2012, 04:58 PM)Poodle Wrote: Seems legit. Maybe got crap ones in then, how much did they set you back?
£15/16 a side got a mate who gets trade at a local factors so probably cheapo ones but didnt expect them to be failing so soon (thats if it is the bearings at fault)

(26-09-2012, 05:01 PM)ginge191 Wrote: ..hmm my bets would be you have recently required a female of some description and sat her in the passengers seat? Check the passenger seat, if there's no one there whilst the droning is sounding, then i'd check the above; i'd bet driveshaft problems. Check the CV boot isnt damaged and gone dry/dirty.
Im used to that droning sound but this stays when she is not in the car lol, if its not the bearings at fault then it will probably be driveshafts
Thanks given by:
*UPDATE*

Turns out that horrid droning noise was indeed the missus :p

Jk turns out that the bearing i replaced 2k ago has failed, cant believe that a bearing would fail this quick, oh well at least its done now
Thanks given by:
Lol bugger, cheers for updating with a solution.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: