First Car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Car
Hi there,
I am currently 16 years old and I'm planning on buying a 1.4 Peugeot 306 for my first car. Good choice or bad choice ? Already priced the insurance up and got it down to £1800.
Thanks given by:
For about the same price on insurance you could have a 1.9 DT, more mpg and with a tweak of the fuel pump and turbo you could have 110-120bhp instead of the 75bhp 1.4 Wink

Good choice on a 306 though Big Grin
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Well I'm going on co-operative car insurance with the black box for my first year to bring the insurance down unless I can find a car insurance company with the same price without the box.
Thanks given by:
Try Brentacre or Chris Knott, a lot of forum members are with them. I've just renewed with Brentacre for the 2nd time, they are very good.
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2012, 06:11 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: For about the same price on insurance you could have a 1.9 DT, more mpg and with a tweak of the fuel pump and turbo you could have 110-120bhp instead of the 75bhp 1.4 Wink

Good choice on a 306 though Big Grin

i agree. My hdi is ins group 5.
Welcome btw
Thanks given by:
thanks a lot Smile btw do you have any ideas for alloys ? I'm modifying my 306 coz there's on point buying a new car after 1 year when I'm getting a 1.9

hi there, has anyone got any ideas on alloys for a 306 ? i fancy modifying my 306 when i get it and first thing i want to put on it are some nice alloys Smile
Thanks given by:
Most people tend to go with OEM rims, personally I love 205 GTI Speedlines but Lazers, Cyclones, Nimrods, Arianes and Challengers are all popular...

I wouldn't ask what people think though, just go your own way like the song says Wink
Thanks given by:
Okay thanks a lot Smile
Thanks given by:
For your age best insurance to try us admiral if you can afford to pay it in one go? My first 306 1.4 was £900 fully comp. best alloys are Peugeot aidels but rare as fook!

I have 2 sets though cos I'm greedy Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Orate cheers I'll try it Smile

I've just tried insurance quotes with CO-OP Young Drivers Insurance and Admiral. CO-OP I got £1900 and Admiral I got £6000+ !
Thanks given by:
elephant are cheap for young drivers...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Seriously? Admiral charge me 800 fully comp for my DT
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Yeah £6000+ on Admiral ! It shocked me when I first saw it lol. I think I might stop with co-op for my first year then change to a company with out the tracker box.
Thanks given by:
im sure a 1.9DT will be cheaper than a 1.4! bell gave me money back when i changed my insurance from a 1.5 106 to my Dtub Smile
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
Well I got a quote for a 1.4 which woz £1800 so I'm getting 0.4 litres for £100 Smile
Thanks given by:
Just done another quote on a 306 1.8 XS Petrol for £2000
Thanks given by:
Stick with a 1.9 Derv mate. Much cheaper and with more pooowaaarr.

Plus... Booooooooost.

Welcome btw
Thanks given by:
Be careful with a black box. If you do something they don't like they can cancel your insurance just like that.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
My bro has had one for his corsa coz its his first year and he got 3 warnings but now he can go as fast as he wants with the box still installed but he doesn't get warned about it ?

Plus I've got some alloys lined up for Christmas and I'm just wanting some people's opinions on what you think they'd look like. Just type "15 Inch Kei Racing Fuji Black Alloy Wheels" into google images and they're the black ones Smile

Plus I've got some alloys lined up for Christmas and I'm just wanting some people's opinions on what you think they'd look like.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
That's alot for insurance and with a black box.. I've not been driving long and my first car was a 306 1.4 paid 1250 TPF+T no blackbox.

You'll get it cheaper oh and get a Dturbo instead, roughly same price. Wink
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2012, 01:45 AM)Dan J Wrote: That's alot for insurance and with a black box.. I've not been driving long and my first car was a 306 1.4 paid 1250 TPF+T no blackbox.

You'll get it cheaper oh and get a Dturbo instead, roughly same price. Wink

As I posted before, my brother got a 1.0 Corsa B 1999 and insurance woz £1900 with the box. In my opinion it's a bargain on my side ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
I'd never go for that black box thing, driving is about freedom at the end of the day, I'd feel like I had a traffic copper sat in the back lol

Any way you can get someone older with plenty of experience on the policy? My first year was £1800 but it would have been double that without my grandad on the policy. That was back in 2005, sounds a lot but I lived in a shit area back then...
Thanks given by:
Fook me insurence is a ra*e for the younguns these days. Welcome by the way Big Grin

as every one has said (not sure if youv taken notice) but a dturob is your best bet. More power, more fun, more MPG and less insurence. Not compation surly?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
If your brother has had 3 warnings and now he can go as fast as he wants then he ought to check if he's still insured!
Tbh IMO with insurance sky High and younge people being raped for it without a chance. I think there first year driving they should have a black box by law to give them a chance to prove they're ok drivers if you get me?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2012, 09:44 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: I think there first year driving they should have a black box by law to give them a chance to prove they're ok drivers if you get me?

That's a damn good idea!
Thanks given by:
The 1.4 meridian is ins group 4. My hdi is group 5 as is the dturbo.
If i had the choice even i love my hdi. Id have a dturbo.
There so much power and torque to be gained and you will
still average about 40-45mpg.

Plus boyracers dont seem to buy TD for some reason.
My first diesel was a kreg corsa 1.5TD when i was 19 and never
had another petrol, im now 27.

DTurbo=win SmileSmileSmile

as for modifying its your car, you do what you want
you will always come across someone that doesnt
like it. But on 306oc you will get an opinion but everyone on
here will respect the effort you put in.

I prefer oem. But there is some aftermarket wheels that really suit the
Thanks given by:
When I get my 306 in March, I'm guna make a project thread and keep updating pics of it as i go along, so if your interested in seeing how it's going then just take a look at the thread Smile ThumbsUp

Btw what year do you recommend I get for my DTurbo ? 97 or 98 ? P.s. I'm getting a 3dr version for less weight ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
tbh guys id say go with the 1.4, i got a quote on my dt for 8k min!! 1.4 was 3grand no box so i dont know where people get this diesel is cheaper its really not haha welcome btw bud
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
In my experience (change cars every 5 minutes, hence my avatar), if you look at a petrol in group 10 and a diesel in group 10 the diesel is always cheaper to insure Wink
Thanks given by:
Get a DT. You'll regret the 1.4 IMHO

As for insurance, do it all in your name, but put your Mum and possibly one of your Grandparent's on the policy..

And don't get a black box.. You're 17. You're going to speed at some point, it's just fact, so why effectively shoot yourself in the foot?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by: