What to do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do?
Alrite guys, looking for some advice...

I am currently in the process of buying a house, and will be increasing my commute from 6 miles, to 13.

I have a 306 LX, 1.9 non turbo diesel for my daily driving/commute but if I'm honest, its not great on fuel.

My choices are:...

1. Buy a HDI engine to go in mine (is this easy, straightforward enough to do?)
2. Sell my current 306, and buy a HDI
3. Buy something petrol thats a bit more fun, and still half decent economy, clio 172 or the like?

Thanks in advance guys Big Grin
Chris
1999 China GTi6 Supercharged track car
2000 Bianca LX non turbo slowness

Team: I hate Sam Rowell's stanceboard!
Thanks given by:
Hdi into that would require Changing all the looms. Best bet would be either bang a turbo lump in or sell up and buy a hdi if your heart is set on a hdi engine.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Heart not set on a HDI, just seemed the best choice..

If I'm honest, I am liking some of the cheap mods they have done to their Dturbo's.

Ok next question, who wants to build me up an engine and fit it for me? lol
Chris

Thanks given by:
13 miles, down what kind of roads?

I'm not surprised the 1.9D is not economical on a 6-mile commute, that's not far enough for it to be beneficial over petrol.

My mate has a Clio 182 and manages high-30s mpg on the daily commute (just over 20 miles each way). I would be too tempted to hoon it every day though. You also have to consider the tax...

My HDi is single-handedly the cheapest car I've ever run, so I would recommend one. My commute is 18 miles each way and it constantly returns over 50mpg and that's down fast A-roads.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't go for an engine change. Insurance companies love it when they hear engine change. Means they can charge you an arm and a leg
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bit of a shitter in terms of the engine change on insurance purposes, I might ring them up and see what they say.

Does anyone want to buy my diesel?

[Image: 1f286835.jpg]

To be fair, how many Phase 3 bianca 306's are there? Not sure I have seen another one other than mine :|
Chris

Thanks given by:
My commute is 120 miles a day round trip and i'm fecking glad I have the HDi as i've put 176k on it in 7 years Big Grin

13 miles though man, you could commute that in your 6 ffs! Not even worth having a second car to do that kind of round trip.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2012, 10:50 AM)C2K Wrote: My commute is 120 miles a day round trip and i'm fecking glad I have the HDi as i've put 176k on it in 7 years Big Grin

13 miles though man, you could commute that in your 6 ffs! Not even worth having a second car to do that kind of round trip.

Haha, I know Si, seems pointless. Will probably just keep it as it is. I made the decision a while ago to get two cars as dont want to run my six daily. Its more likely to break that way, cost me loads in fuel, and its not exactly practical. Only one other seat and not a great shopping car (all the stuff flies round and breaks, haha)
Chris

Thanks given by:
Saxo VTS / 106 GTi would be sweet for a short commute I reckon. If I could afford insurance and it was big enough, that's what I'd be looking for...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Buy a HDi mate.
Thanks given by:
HDi FTW :-)
“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2012, 11:12 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Saxo VTS / 106 GTi would be sweet for a short commute I reckon. If I could afford insurance and it was big enough, that's what I'd be looking for...

Mine was fecking amazing on fuel, high 40's on a run, and usually got low 30's round town. Brilliant fun as well, I go through the tunnels on the Leeds ring road every day to and from work, always did it with the windows down in 2nd Big Grin
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
why not just drop a Dturbo lump in it? more plug and play.
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2012, 07:26 PM)procta Wrote: why not just drop a Dturbo lump in it? more plug and play.

How easy is this to do? If I can buy a complete Dturbo engine with ECU and loom, drop straight in?

Looking to go this route to be honest, another little project for me and get me some knowledge on engines (As I darent play about with my gti6 engine.. lol)

In the middle of buying a house at the minute, so when its sorted out I will start collecting bits.

Any one that wants to come and help out will get free passenger rides in my track prepped supercharged gti6 Smile
Chris

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2012, 12:39 PM)cjm_harris Wrote:
(19-09-2012, 07:26 PM)procta Wrote: why not just drop a Dturbo lump in it? more plug and play.

How easy is this to do? If I can buy a complete Dturbo engine with ECU and loom, drop straight in?

Dt engines don't have an ecu. Just need a 12v live to run Smile mounts should be the same but not sure on driveshafts =\
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
could buy a dt engine from scrappys cheap just looks for a rear end write off or something then drop her right in Smile boooooost!!!
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by: