ICV/TPS/VSS idle issues?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICV/TPS/VSS idle issues?
I've got some idle/hesitation issues and i'm not quite sure which is most likely to be the culprit.

Basically the idle is a little bit 'bouncy' which suggests ICV but it's also recently started intermittently hesitating in a strange kind of way.

When idling if I accelerate the revs will rise to about 1300rpm and won't go any further even if you give it more throttle. If you do give it more throttle it gets quite rough and eventually it will rise past the sticking point and then rev up as usual (suggesting TPS?).

The reason i'm thinking it could be the VSS is as far as I understand the ECU uses the feed from it to determine when the car is moving and whether or not it needs to activate/deactivate the ICV etc. I also think it's more likely that one thing is broken rather than there being issues with the TPS and ICV.

Apart from that the car drives perfectly, pulls well, average MPG figures etc. Also recently passed MOT so not likely to be lambda.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
the ECU temp sensor can also cause similar issues if its f*cked and youll only know by changing it for a known good one.

I did mine and it cured alot of issues, the rest are being caused my my lambda.
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2012, 08:12 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: the ECU temp sensor can also cause similar issues if its f*cked and youll only know by changing it for a known good one.

Tested it with a multimeter at various temps seems all good in da hood
Serious.
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2012, 09:08 PM)lewisdmz Wrote:
(18-09-2012, 08:12 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: the ECU temp sensor can also cause similar issues if its f*cked and youll only know by changing it for a known good one.

Tested it with a multimeter at various temps seems all good in da hood

just because its varying doesnt mean its working alright. The one on my misses 206 was varying but at running hot, was reading -40.....dont think so!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Lewis did you sort this?

I have a similar issue where my speedo doesnt work and my car sometimes stalls whilst slowing to a stop when dipping the clutch. Did yours ever do this?

I recently changed the ICV for one that I got from a brearker which they advised was working. Still happens - my emissions are a little high so my next step is to change the lambda which I also got from the breaker.

But just wondered what your findings were?
Thanks given by:
You need to replace your VSS for that. Mine used to do the same when the VSS packed up.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
VSS??
Thanks given by:
vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox Wink
Thanks given by:
Haha, funnily enough I'm still chasing this little beauty around. Been busy at weekends which is the only time I can really get out to test stuff out.

Found this post which you might find interesting regarding the VSS, as other's have said, pretty sure your issue will be fixed by checking that sensor/wiring.

My speedo has never failed but I was wondering if it was possible for the VSS to deliver an acceptable enough signal for the speedo to work, but due to noise or whatever it is not good enough for the ECU to use and so causes issues?
Serious.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Idle Issues... 1.8 16v Ash J 15 2,051 25-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  idle and running issues megwan 3 1,280 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Last Post: megwan