Dan's phase 2 1.8xs toy build

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan's phase 2 1.8xs toy build
Yeah so ive heard. I'm not sure about New liners perharps? Or just have some made through my engineering friends using Mahl. Wink sure there's bound to be a way of doing something silly to it lol. Do you know what the most you can out of the standard internals on the 1.8 is?

Oh dear sorry to hear that :'( rust is nasty business..lighter than Carbon Fibre though Wink

Engine work sounds promising though mate. Who was building it for you? And I bet it wasn't as cheap as my lump lol! Bargain of the year!
I've heard that from people about the 1.8 before yeah...suppose to be better for handling too as its lighter?
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2013, 09:13 PM)floz123 Wrote: Yeah so ive heard. I'm not sure about New liners perharps? Or just have some made through my engineering friends using Mahl. Wink sure there's bound to be a way of doing something silly to it lol. Do you know what the most you can out of the standard internals on the 1.8 is?

Oh dear sorry to hear that :'( rust is nasty business..lighter than Carbon Fibre though Wink

Engine work sounds promising though mate. Who was building it for you? And I bet it wasn't as cheap as my lump lol! Bargain of the year!
I've heard that from people about the 1.8 before yeah...suppose to be better for handling too as its lighter?

Ill find you a pic of the liners.
Im not sure how much the standard internals will take. Its hardly a used engine. Most people think that the gti is the one to go for because its the most powerful when in fact, its already highly tuned out of the factory and the 1.8 is extremely restricted from the factory. Also, they must of chosen the 1.8 bottom end for the WRC engines for a reason!

My engine is free so beat that Tongue
Yeah when i went over to the gti, i was shocked at how heavy the front end was. My 1.8 was a XS like yours so had gti spec suspension and the 1,8 handled so much better it was un real! I rebuilt my engine with the help of my old man. He used to work for jag restoring their older engines so im quite lucky in that respect!

[Image: 18d57782.jpg]

[Image: 55108ac9.jpg]

And this is why i had to rebuild it

[Image: th_2cd1e4fe.jpg]

[Image: 7d307789.jpg]
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Free?!?! Now your just showing off Wink lol mine was £55 and its done 76000. Even came with clutch and flywheel..starter motor and all ancillary Wink

Oh I never knew the XS had gti spec suspension? Learn something new every day Wink
Yeah that's exactly what I thought...they spend a shit lot of Money building and designing these wrc engines so must have used it for a genuine reason?

Interesting pictures there though...first time I've ever seen inside one! That's the 1.8 YeH?
Thanks given by:
yeah 16v 1.8. That was on 91k at rebuild. It was very odd because it went very quickly. Literally a matter of weeks and it was burning a litre of oil every 70 odd miles. Only thing i didnt go was fit the new piston rings and scrapers as i dont have the tools but ive got a good rebuild shop nearish to me who supplied all the parts for the engine rebuild and cleaned up the pistons and fitted the rings and scrapers for £200 all in.

It really benefitted from a rebuild. was very very lively once it had been rebuilt. I just couldnt justify the extra cost of a new ecu and repairing the rust.

Have to be fairly careful working with the pistons and liners when the head is off. The liner seats are very shallow so they do move a bit. Dont turn the engine over without holding the liners in place (hence the big sockets lol) and try not to knock them. Worst thing would be to knock one, not realise then rebuild it and its mixing oil and water!
It was actually grant (guy who came to get a harness bar from you the other week) who bought the engine from me. He lives just round the corner from me so your not far so if you ever want any help with your rebuild, shout and i can pop over at some point!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Wow that did go suddenly. The one I'm running atm is on 113000 and still goes fine. Does a funny little rev all by itself occasionally when the revs are dying down. Always done it in the 3 years I've owned it Wink

Have heard a lot about not moving the pistons with the head off etc unless they are supported and won't move. Had oil/water mixing issues with that Nissan engine I showed earlier so definitely wouldn't be ideal to go through it all again! Sad

Thinking of Omex stand-alone but once again I need to have a proper look into it first. Syvecs is incredibly tempting but also the same price as a small country!

Oh cheers mate ill bare that in mind! Should be okay tbh but you never know when problems may arise. Also I have a gti6 exhaust manifold..heard they are a good mod? What kind of power etc can they support upto? (Sorry for the nooby questions...still fairly new to the modifying world of Peugeot) lol
Thanks given by:
Cant comment on the 6 exhaust mani. I never got round to fitting mine. Biggest let down is the 1.8 ECU. The sagem ecu just loves to shit its self for fun and doesnt adapt well at all to modifications. As a design, the gti manifold is very very capable. you should never ever have to replace it for more flow unless of course you need a custom one for a turbo. The best thing you can do is get it on aftermarket management once the engine is built. The sagem will destroy that engine by overfuelling massively if you try and use it and would be a shame to loose that hard work.
Omex is probably the best ecu that people use on the 306s but it comes at a premium. About £600 new and then another £70 for the loom connector and then the cost of building the loom (can do that your self if your confident with a soldering iron) and mapping.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Funny you should say that. Was talking to a friend today about how crap the Sagem ecu is Sad and they have no potential at all lol.
The wiring side of things isn't a problem to be honest...got that one covered Wink
The GTI manifold definitely looks the business. Got one sat in the garage somewhere. Might pop it on at some point. Also I've seen people put the 2.0 head on the 1.8? Is this due to bigger ports? Because the valve sizes are the same aren't they?
Thanks given by:
the 1.8 head is very restrictive. I ported my one during my rebuild and in places i took off about 8mm either side in the inlet ports and i didnt go too drastic with it!
Bang the GTi head on there and that should be a winning combo. The head already flows very well with them big oversize valves. Couple that with the short stroke bottom end and it should build a winner. Dont bother with the xsi head though. It doesnt flow as well unless you want to put time into making it flow but theres no point when you can just go and buy a gti head.
The valves in the gti head are huge. Dont think ive seen an engine where the valves are so tightly crammed into the bore. Thats why all the 6 forum lot moan about them being difficult to time. On the 1,8 head, there is loads of room for error. None on the gti head!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
So its been a while since I updated my build. Ordered the metal for my cage which I'm hoping will turn up tomorrow so I can crack on with it on Saturday.

Also this is totally off subject but I've eventually got the decent pics of the Capri photo Shoot up in the Lounge area Smile
Thanks given by:
Would anyone like to buy my car? Thinking of selling it? Sad
Thanks given by:
So just a small update. Still thinking of selling but can't help myself when it comes to fiddling Wink so yesterday I fitted the GTI-6 exhaust Mani and made my own decat. Now its pretty loud and a tad more responsive. I must admit though...wouldn't say its worth all the hassle Sad

Oh yeah...also got a new air freshener and pumped the tires up Wink winner!
Thanks given by:
New air freshner always helps the driving experience!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Sure does Wink lol. Unfortunately my spirited driving has just broken the gear linkage Sad it still goes into gear but won't centralise. Had a poke about and it feels like the rubber bush has come out of the linkage Sad
Thanks given by:
Its a common part to fail on 306's. Which linkage was it that broke?

You can pick up a full set of BakerBM solid linkages for £25 at FCS. Thats about £50 cheaper than standard from pug.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Just on lunch break. Popped the car up a bit and found the shorter bottom ball joint linkage had popped off and landed on the subframe. Couldn't believe it was still there if I'm honest as I drove over countless speed bumps. Popped it back on and happy days Smile
Thanks given by:
Totally forgot to say I sold this about 2 months ago Sad miss it like mad too. One of the most fun cars I've ever owned. Probably cause it was so cheap but still went well. Time to maybe buy another. Hmmm Huh
Thanks given by:
You know you want to Dan Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Quiet loving the V8 gangster life if I'm honest. Nothing much beats the sound of a v8. Plus it has all the creature comforts one can only dream of ;-)
Thanks given by: