cambelt change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cambelt change
I bought a cheap (very cheap) 306td from a dealer not so long ago, it was cheap as he said it was smoking and burning oil as the valve seals or rings had gone.
Sure enough,dense clouds of blue/white smoke for ages about 4mins after startup - but oddly enough it hadn't used any oil after 1500 miles.
I stripped the head down,changed the cambelt,new hybrid turbo etc etc (rings were ok) and when I started it up - guess what - clouds of same smoke- er......then cut wrists....nah - not really.
Mate of mine said loosen the diesel pump and turn it a bit. I did and a miracle happened, no smoke,smooth as the smoothest smoothie and goes like rocket - weird eh. I'd made sure I'd lined up all the timing holes when I changed belt as well.
By the way, on the standard lucas pump ( with max fuel screw adjusted) it will boost to 30lbs and goes real fast. I am a bit dubious about benefits of a Bosch pump. Any comments on this?
BW Russell
Thanks given by:
no it's not weird, all it means is that the pump timing was out, bet you pushed the pump towards the engine yeah? . .timing will have been retarded, as far as Bosch pump goes, it is better, i'm making nearly 135 bhp on mine on standard set-up just tweeked a bit, also she isn't smokey, bet yours is, lastly i run 100% veg oil, do you? . . . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Hi
Thanks for message, Yes does smoke a bit. The car's going so well at present I don't want to mess things up ( which I'm quite capable of doing) by fitting a Bosch pump, although this is on the cards for near future. Car I only means of transport and we do. 220m iles per week commute.
Car build was sort of copy of James Pickerings 200 bhp 306td in Prac Perform Car mag and TDOCUK some yrs ago. Except for Bosch pump and money he threw at bottom end.By the way,Rally Design do some great universal intercoolers for around £120.
Now weather's getting cooler might turn up boost to 22 -23lbs.(I blew head gasket of last 306 but didn't know much about diesels then)
I run fmic now plus lots of cold air ducted from bonnet vents round engine etc) Temp usually around 85.
BW Russell
Thanks given by:
a copy of JP's car . . in what way? . . . . .he's done a lot and spent a lot on that car mate, currently running 209 bhp if i remember correctly . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Getting a bit mixed up here trying to find my way round the site - bear with me --I've also got a crap mobile phone signal.
Thanks for seats/resistor info. I'm good with engines but rubbish with electrics.
When I put lightweight seats in I used safety belts from another car I had. Obviously not right thing to do. I can remove the stalks (with pre-tensioner device from old original seats) and bolt these on side of gearbox tunnel. These, according to Haynes wiring diagram, have a resistor in the alloy fitting that's attached to the stalk. If I do this to both front seats and plug back in the wiring connector,follow the Haynes re-activation of air bag procedure the warning light should stop flashing - yeah?
If anyones interested the peugot passenger seat weighs 15ks and the drivers about 17 'cos of extra adjusting mechanisms. .....
How I hate flashing lights
Kind regards
Thanks given by:
bosch FTW best thing you will do, more power available more revs when gov modded, can run cheap fuel veg etc, can set up so no smoke at all if wanted.

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cambelt change guide Matt 8 1,688 17-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Matt
  Cambelt change jonas306 4 1,128 10-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Tom
  Anyone in the south fancy helping doing a cambelt change..? laurence_13 18 4,657 11-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Last Post: devils_fuel