Help with stealth shelf and after market speakers :/

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with stealth shelf and after market speakers :/
Anyone got any pictures or advice/tips on fitting a set of components into a stealth shelf? I want it to look as standard as possible really, Also i already have components in the front but got a set cheap so im putting some in the back aswell Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Haven't made a stealth shelf for years - but back in the day you reinforced with mdf from underneath, cut right holes and mounted speakers - then covered top with acoustic felt, using spray on glue to hold it on.
Thanks given by:
buy a phase 3 shelf...
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I already have a stealth shelf from a phase 3 i think... Its help with fitting my speakers to it, is what i need.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
just unscrew the standard speakers and screw your new ones on....
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
Not 100% sure but I think it's 6.3" with short back fit straight into the stealth shelf.
I currently have some jvc coaxle in mine and they fit perfect.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Or deeper speakers, just means you can't use the plastic OE covers underneath the parcel shelf
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is the shelf strong enough to screw into though? should i mount them on some mdf or something so its attached to something a bit more solid? giggidy
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
If you want better sound quality, yes. The shelves are pretty flimsy imo, would benefit from something more sturdy but depends on how much of an audiophile you are
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
In my old Bianca ph1 I took the stock speakers out the shelf and removed the grilles, then cut a piece of MDF and marked up the speaker holes inc holes for tweeters and cut them out slightly smaller than the outside of the basket for the main drivers so I could router out a lip and the speaker basket would sit flush in the hole and secured them with 3 screws as my infinity kappa component drivers had various fixing holes. It just so happened that the other holes lined up perfectly with the holes to secure the grilles.
I also had to make the speaker holes slightly bigger on the original shelf to accommodate the slightly larger infinity speakers but did that with a rasp file.
I then fitted the tweets but cant remember if it was to the factory grilles or the shelf itself and screwed through the MDF into the original grille holes to secure the speaker and grille sandwich.
Once I was happy with the way everything fitted together I partially stripped it again and applied copious amounts of liquid nails to scuffed up MDF and shelf surfaces and quickly screwed it all back together, then added more screws to strategic places where the MDF met the shelf for added strength and rigidity.
This was all done on a ph1 parcel shelf and from the outside you couldn't see - totally stealth.
Sadly I blew those comps by under powering them and they were the old style green weave coned CS series Sad that are so much better than a lot of the ones they sell today.
I guess I'm saying it can be done without going down the ph3 stealth shelf route which can look so obviously out of place on an earlier car - even to the opportunist thief who knows what a stealth shelf looks like and might imply.
I have also been down the genuine Acoustic Solutions genuine stealth shelf route with a pair of 6x9's and that was sooo heavy the tailgate never stayed up properly and I kept banging my head so that had to go.
Now I've got a ph2 I bought a stealth shelf myself with the sole intention of removing the speakers and mounting some v v quiet fans in there place to remove the heat from 3 Alpine V12 amps and a car Pc install I have planned for the boot in the new year but if the fabric doesn't flow enough air I'll be going back to a ph2 shelf and grilles.
Thanks given by:
I've done it! Got lucky, the components i bought slide straight into the original holders, i had to cut the bottoms off but its all ok Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help install a after market remote central locking kit Danny306HDI2000 2 1,152 03-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Danny306HDI2000