Boost gauge. Now I'm no expert but....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boost gauge. Now I'm no expert but....
....I have played Gran Turismo! So I don't know how qualified that makes me?

My boost gauge is a nice little gadget. I don't like how it doesn't look OEM, but ima fix that (as per my other thread) and I don't care really how accurate it is, I just like to see the turbo is behaving properly...

Which leads me on to the purpose of this thread.

On Gran Turismo (hear me out!) the boost holds at the same pressure throughout the rev range. Today, in a rare pursuit of speed in the HDi I exceeded 3,500 revs (I know Tom, I know). The boost comes in at around 1500-1800 and holds at 15-16psi, but what I noticed is that the car quickly ran out of 'puff' after 3 grand. Glancing at the boost gauge it was only reading 11psi and falling?

I know diesels don't "do" revs, but my focus TDCi seemed to still have power higher up.

Is this normal, or have I sprung a leak somewhere? Or is the turbo guffed? Service due next week so I can have a good look around, if there is a problem, where should I look for it?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Not an entirely helpful post, but im having a remotely similar problem.

My boost doesnt peak (@ 19psi) until i have to change gear at about 4.5k rpm, so was also wondering if my turbo might be giving up.

Im not sure if yours should be dropping boost after 3k, as mine (when it was standard) was holding a steady 14psi up to the gear change, but peaking about 2k sounds about normal from other accounts ive read.

Im certainly no diesel expert myself, so i could be way off the mark. Im sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if i am. Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I guess your still running a cat, it strangles it, thats the current restriction.

After that your restriction will be the turbo being too small.
Thanks given by:
the focus might have a vnt My housemate has a mondeo tdci 2.0 and that has one.
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Standard map?

HDi's as standard don't seem to have much fueling at the top end.

More fuel = more boost.
Thanks given by:
Wingnutz, you're driving a dt, completely different kettle of fish. And you're running 19psi on a t2 - MTFU!

It's pretty normal for HDis to drop boost after 3k, as said above, the exhaust system is pretty restrictive as standard and fuelling drops off after 3.5-4k anyway.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 06:06 AM)Poodle Wrote: Wingnutz, you're driving a dt, completely different kettle of fish. And you're running 19psi on a t2 - MTFU!

It's pretty normal for HDis to drop boost after 3k, as said above, the exhaust system is pretty restrictive as standard and fuelling drops off after 3.5-4k anyway.

See? I knew someone would come along and correct me! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Afaik Chris is running stage 1 map.

Bit I'm still gonna say the turbos too small as standard, shame its not vnt eh Chris. Tongue
Thanks given by:
In which case i find it a little odd that boost is falling after 3k, should have the fuelling up there to maintain flow...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Should have said, has a stage 1 prosteve map on it, by previous owner. Could there be a leak at the EGR causing this? And is 15psi normal for a peak boost pressure on stage 1?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Could be i guess, worth checking. How badly oiled is your inlet elbow? Alternatively, could be an exhaust restriction, have you decatted etc?

And yes, 15psi peak is pretty normal.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I reckon its down to your exhaust..

On a completely standard car, I found that there was absolutely no point going over 3k. With a stage 1 map, (std exhaust still), it was a bit better, and I found myself revving higher to around the 3.5 mark.

When I bought my stage 2 (standard exhaust with pikey decat), it was similar, 3.5k was the "natural" point to change when giving it beans. Now I've replaced the decat with a straight pipe and got a straight through backbox, I often find I'm up near the limiter without trying, the engine is so much more free revving.

I've also noticed that when approaching the limiter, the boost peaks, rather than dropping as per the OP.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
It has still got the cat in place, as well as a very restrictive standard system.

Unfortunately I currently lack the funds to get a straight-thru, but what should I be looking for when I do eventually take the plunge? Should I go to an exhaust centre and spunk £300+ on a full system?
Thanks given by:
I don't see why a pikey lash up won't work as well. The only difference I've seen comparing my Ss turbo back power flow exhaust to home made straight through is the noise. Mine just sounds better lol
These turbo'd diesels just need to get rid of gasses asap
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
On another note if your hdi system is genuine pug and in good nick i might take it off your hands. Smile
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Home build FTW!

Save the cash for other shineys you can't build with a grinder and welder!

Thanks given by:
If it were genuine Peugeot I'd keep it myself! Unfortunately its a combination of aftermarket cat/downpipe rusty mid section and £35 back-box with the special 'droopy cock' stile tip!

I wonder what a garage would charge to knock one up. What's the best bore to go for?
Thanks given by:
2.25" Is standard, that'll be fine but if you really wanted to you could go for 2.5" but gains won't really be noticeable and it will probably be more expensive
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
2.25 straight with centre box is enough for most!

Thanks given by:
Pikey lash up! seriously how often do people go under your car and go "ooooo stainless"
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
There isn't much of a difference but the larger the diameter the deeper the noise :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Home made garage lash up, a garage may de-cat for free if they can keep the cat.
Thanks given by:
if you were closer id decat for free Smile if i could keep the pussy...
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
Same, have you got a mate with a welder who can do it?

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boost gauge BoldieRob 8 1,934 01-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Last Post: kyler000
  Boost gauge and stock pressure JTaylor2005 16 3,183 27-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Recommendations for boost gauge and fitting kit 306rhys 6 1,906 30-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Poodle