Turbo Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo Change
Any advice or general tips before I go and attempt this?

Whats the best way to access the oil lines? From underneath?

Obviously watched Darrens video a couple of times!

Cheers guys.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Get car on axel stands, get to oil return and feed underneath car,

take engine off top mount and rock forward and access and removed from back of block simple pal

Good tip get some bolts same size as studs in head and replace them when u put it all back together save you taking studs out to get manifold and turbo out
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I found the easiest way was to obviously move the engine forward to give more room down the back.
Put a jack under the sump, to take the weight and remove the mounting bracket by the cambelt, make sure you chock the sump with another piece of wood incase the jack falls/fails.

This will give room down the back, remove the intercooler & air pipes to the turbo, then bung up the manifold with a piece of cloth so nothing falls down.
Remove the bolts to the manifold, im sure you did this before so you know how that goes with the double nutting stuff.

Disconnect the exhaust with a 10mm socket & spanner.

Put some rags under the car to catch spots of oil, and undo the 17mm oil line into the block, then undo the (I think 19mm) oil line into the top of the turbo, you will need to hold the adaptor thats in the turbo too, which I think is 15 or 17mm. Use a 7mm socket on the oil return at the back of the engine, slacken that off so when the pipe is pipped with the turbo it will slip off.

Double nut the exhaust manifold bolts, remove all them. The turbo should now be free to remove.

Put new turbo down there, repeat in reverse Smile The engine will need to be on its mounts for you to connect up the exhaust again...

You've got my number if you got any issues anyway

Edit: As CJ says, it will probably be easier to put on axle stands cos it will give you better access from underneither, but I've done it all from the top before, but you might find some things easier from below. Make sure you dont cross thread the oil line into the block.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Don't pull the engine to far forward as I did once, as it snaps the lower radiator pipe Sad.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Turbo change advice on xud ashdturb 2 1,146 19-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Last Post: ashdturb
  oil problem after turbo change willJspears 15 2,661 27-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Last Post: willJspears
  Turbo change An1mal06 2 1,040 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM