The Broken Golf - VAG Fails Inside!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Broken Golf - VAG Fails Inside!
Hello,

You've probably seen this by now, if not, heres something to laugh at!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7x1Ml6B7...e=youtu.be

Anyway, theres no diagnostic fault codes, no EML nothing like that. Just this awful noise and lack of power.

Thought it could be the cam/followers....well cant see the followers but the cams look pretty normal for a car thats done 135k to me!

What else should I be looking for?

Just so you know, I cant really afford to fix this, so it will most likely get sold as spares or broken, or broken. BUT i want to confirm whats broken before I go any further.

So yeah...some pics,

[Image: PDCam005.jpg]

[Image: PDCam006.jpg]

[Image: PDCam007.jpg]

[Image: PDCam008.jpg]

[Image: PDCam009.jpg]

Nothing unusual there as far as I can see!

Where should I be looking/doing next??
Tom
Thanks given by:
If you look in your local paper you should find a nice man to come and take it away and he would probably give you a couple of hundred for it

Lol thought vag was the way forward
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a golf Tongue

Thanks given by:
(05-09-2012, 06:00 PM)R45_ODV Wrote: Sounds like a golf Tongue

I shoulda seen that coming. Tongue
Thanks given by:
lmao

on a scale of one to epic fail that's about a 10!!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Really? Damn I was going for a 10! Sad
Thanks given by:
Sorry, edited..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
That's more tappy than most GTi's on this forum... Nospeak
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
On a more serious note sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders

Thanks given by:
(05-09-2012, 06:11 PM)ginge191 Wrote: That's more tappy than most GTi's on this forum... Nospeak

Its a little more than a tap lol...makes Ed's sound silent tbh! Tongue

(05-09-2012, 06:13 PM)R45_ODV Wrote: On a more serious note sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders

It does yeah, but it doesnt feel like it though, I mean it doesn't feel 'shaky' in the car or anything, I mean the 106 with a broken glowplug was awful on 3 cylinders, but this doesnt 'feel' like that.
Thanks given by:
I can't get the video to play but has an injector failed?
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
It might have done, but I don't know how to check! And it should've brought up a fault code I'd have thought.
Thanks given by:
This is probably a stupid question but I'm genuinely not sure............ Should I be able to turn the engine over with the cam sprocket nut? Or is it crank nut only?
Thanks given by:
You can usually just about turn an engine on the cam, but it's not advised and is usually harder to turn because of the cam/crank pulley ratios.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2012, 08:02 AM)Dan! Wrote: You can usually just about turn an engine on the cam, but it's not advised and is usually harder to turn because of the cam/crank pulley ratios.

Ah ok, cheers Dan, this is what I was thinking as its 2:1 iirc (stepdad was adamant it would turn easy on the cam though!) but I couldn't budge it at all, the handbrake was creaking with force I put in to it!

So I need to turn it from the crank, think this is gonna be the easiest way to see the bad lifter I reckon....as removing the camshaft seems like a big job!

Also I don't need to take the battery off do I? Someone said it'll kick when I turn it over but at 0.5rpm surely it wont??

Also....found this vid...do we reckon its the same noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ber08mvV...r_embedded#!

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi...vw-tdi.htm
Thanks given by:
that sounds very similar to an elise that i did some work on it ended up dropping the head off the valve :/ wasnt even the whole valve just the end :/
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
Guy in that vid said it was a fooked camshaft :S
Thanks given by:
I've done a few cams on this, they wear thought the buckets to, remove cam and check, make sure to set the injector lash. When you put it back together,
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-38NQA2DUMk
Thanks given by:
Right, now the suns on it I can see just how bad it is! Cams are pretty f*cked tbh. Only one dished lifter though.......... Im still not sure what actually makes the noise though?

Filings on that lifter!

[Image: MorePDCams026.jpg]

Probably come from there.... Confused

[Image: MorePDCams030.jpg]

[Image: MorePDCams027.jpg]

Bit of scoring on there

[Image: MorePDCams031.jpg]

[Image: MorePDCams032.jpg]

And my personal favourite....the dished exhaust lifter Tongue

[Image: MorePDCams033.jpg]

BUT surely that wear woun't create that awful noise? That dished lifter is the wrong end anyway! The 'main' wear seems to be the cam lobes, most are worn and no longer have the chamfered edge (see the link I posted earlier) but I can't see how that would make so much noise??
Thanks given by:
Can you not just get an entire head off a scrappy and sell the Golf straight on?

Gotta be worth it if it can be done? Saves f*cking about.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
It's really not that easy Chris.

Plus, have you tried finding a PD130 in a scrappy lol?? They never have any in!
Thanks given by:
Dont need a head, unless the lifter has totaly ovaled the hole..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWDgbH_n9E
Thanks given by:
Its not happening anyway. Its either getting for spares of I'll break it (theres several hundred quid of mods on there, plus the removable towbar, two sets of alloys, GTi seats etc). I dont know what to do atm. But Im giving up on the Golf now. Current mission is to find a cheap car TODAY.
Thanks given by:
swap for my dtub Smile
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
Swap? Even a broken Golf is worth more than that. No offence lol. Tongue

Nah seriously, might have found something............wish people would answer thier phones when they put the number on a for sale ad though! Confused
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2012, 12:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Swap? Even a broken Golf is worth more than that.

Just no.

You know those times, when like, someone says something so bloody daft that, like, you wish you were a mod, just because... yeah....
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-09-2012, 03:53 PM)Poodle Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 12:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Swap? Even a broken Golf is worth more than that.

Just no.

You know those times, when like, someone says something so bloody daft that, like, you wish you were a mod, just because... yeah....

You'd be surprised what they go for spares and repair. Will be more than a £400 DT guaranteed. Wink
Thanks given by:
:whilst i do feel for you Tom . . . .when your car breaks it sucks i know, something strange deep down inside of me just wants to let go and . . . . . . . . . . . . . .lmao

Sorry . . . .should have bought a superior car . . . . like a, ohhh i don't know . . . maybe a D-tub . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
That thumping noise is the valves not opening fully and that horrible tapping banging noise I bet is the lifters just getting beaten up by the cams - it's finally gotten to the point where they can come apart and it's out of adjustment and it's slapping it.

Also... Nothing unusual in here:

[Image: PDCam007.jpg]

Metal filings y0h!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, hate to say it, I thought you said the cams eating themselves only happened on teh V6s and the 150 ARLs? Oh nope, that's a 130 with it's cams eaten!

EDIT: f*cking fail, how didn't I notice this earlier, you haven't had the cams out, no?

[Image: MorePDCams026.jpg]

In which case that lifter you've taken a photo of being dished is f*cked - that is currently stuck DOWN - you shouldn't be able to see it like that, see the position of the next lifter, that's where it should be... That noise is the valve stuck open and the piston bashing the valve home each stroke...

Now it's been taken to 5000rpm like that, you can guarantee it's got a bent valve stem, definitely new lifters time...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: