Engine swap issues - Fan help required!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine swap issues - Fan help required!
Evening all.

A short summary of works being carried out.

I'm dropping a Ph1 'P' reg 1.9 DT engine into a Ph 2 'T' reg car, after an insurance claim. Cheapest way off getting back on the road, and I keep my 306 Sleepy

Basically, theres a few differences with it being a new car, wiring etc, but as off tonight, we have the engine running, and moving backwards and forwards in the workshop.

Our only issue is that the fans kick in as soon as we turn on the ignition, and fire up untill we kill the engine again. Obviously, the fans rarely kick in, so to hear them roaring away isnt correct.

Can anyone help as our knowledge of the wiring is vague. Is a 2nd switch needed on the thermostat housing? Or is this green nut anything to do with it, should there be a switch in its place?

Any help would be great

Thanks,

Ben
Thanks given by:
Not 100% sure as im not a diesel person Tongue but IIRC theres a brown plug for the fans around the stat. that makes them run constantly if its unplugged
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2012, 09:52 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Not 100% sure as im not a diesel person Tongue but IIRC theres a brown plug for the fans around the stat. that makes them run constantly if its unplugged

Thanks mate but IIRC?
Thanks given by:
if i remember correctly
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
what joe said
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2012, 10:05 PM)Joe Wrote: if i remember correctly

Thanks mate Smile
Thanks given by:
yep, sounds like the brown plug is either unplugged, or missing
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys,

So am I right in saying in the position of that green nut?
Thanks given by:
Yep, did you use the loom off the old engine or the new one?

Just pull the sensor out the old engine and put it in that space Smile Though ill admit, I can't see the Brown plug nearby?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I had this; check the plug at the top of the rad which connects to the fans. Either you're missing a wire or somethings up with it. It's a blue plug.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Heh, check the post, his is a p2 dt... It'll be bitron control as it'll have air con...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2012, 07:10 AM)Ruan Wrote: Heh, check the post, his is a p2 dt... It'll be bitron control as it'll have air con...

I saw he was using a "P reg engine" - phase 1 engine?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2012, 06:53 AM)Ruan Wrote: Yep, did you use the loom off the old engine or the new one?

Just pull the sensor out the old engine and put it in that space Smile Though ill admit, I can't see the Brown plug nearby?

Morning,

I used the old engine, but the cars loom. Never took the switch out though and worked fine in my old car?
Thanks given by:
Look in your old engine that came out... Is there a sensor where that green bung is? should be brown

(05-09-2012, 07:15 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 07:10 AM)Ruan Wrote: Heh, check the post, his is a p2 dt... It'll be bitron control as it'll have air con...

I saw he was using a "P reg engine" - phase 1 engine?

Yeah, but its in a ph2 car, none of the wiring is there for the p1 gan setup, its all controlled by the bitron...
Thanks given by:
Have checked the old engine and it's all wired differently through the radiator switch, presumably as its a newer engine?
Thanks given by:
I'm still confused, for the engine wiring loom, did you use the original one that came with the ph2 t plate engine, or the one from the ph1 p plate engine?

The wiring might be different, but you only need to plug it all in, shouldn't be vastly different..

My car has a ph1 xantia engine in, although the wiring is different, the loom from my ph2 car fits on...

Theres basically 2 systems, one that uses a 3 pin plug in the radiator, the other uses the brown plug on the stat housing... They're not interchangeable between CARS... However they are interchangeable between engines if you catch my drift...
Thanks given by:
Sorry mate, I'm repeating all this via the chief mechanic (old man!) as I don't really know what I'm on about,

We're using the loom from the 'T' plate car, and from what we can see, it is slightly different in the way the fan is wired up. From what was first said, the brown plug should be the resolution to the problem.

What I was trying to say was the original, now scrapped engine from the 'T' plate car, had it wired through the radiator switch, thus, no brown plug.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  engine swap dsm482 1 1,503 29-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Last Post: unclebeast
  Parts and Tools for Engine Swap? bigcheez2k3 9 2,718 19-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  1.9d turbo 306 engine swap to a berlingo joshed 7 3,317 25-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Last Post: xudlingo