Lightweight / carbon fiber door cards

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightweight / carbon fiber door cards
Is anyone else interested in carbon fiber (or carbon fiber look) door cards for having replaced the oem ones.

Ive found ABS plastic backed carbon fiber sheet at about £100 for a 3m x1.2m sheet (enough to do 3 pairs of cards)
http://www.plasticstockist.com/ABS-Sheet.aspx?Page=2

Dont know how much weight youd save, if the SG is 1.04-1.07 then 2mm sheet by about 0.5m x 1m is about a kilo a door card.

How much do the standard cards weigh?

anyone else interested?

Oh and do people actually use real carbon fiber door cards cos its about £200 worth of CF for a pair.
Thanks given by:
You've spelt carbon fibre wrong.

specific gravity, thats some hardcore physics shit... Almost the sort of thing I'd say.... In my rant about the specific gravity of fuel in another thread on weight reduction.....

on a serious note though, pictures of the items? Or are the just flat sheets of cf that we have to cut to size with a hacksaw after spending £100 on them...?

EDIT: have you actually held a doorcard btw? Some heavy shit right there.... all that plastic....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Who needs door cards when there's weight to be saved?

Fishing line as door pulls ftw..

Or, you could use green strimmer wire for that extravagant look?
Thanks given by:
Selling as complete bolt on items? Or sheet of carbon?

Any chance of them not looking chavtastic carbon fiber? Id be interesting...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Tbh i'd be inclined to go for the black acrylic, but i'm a snobby sod who can't stand fake cf. Plus it's only just over half the price. Even cheaper for me cos i've only got a 5 door. :p

Can't believe you haven't weighed your door cards yet, would make a guess at about 5kg each, but as proved on our previous mission i'm not all that accurate...

I'd be interested, dependent on cost. Tbf £35 for a pair isn't bad, but still more than i'd pay...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Id be interested to. Would you be supplying them ready to fit or us need t
tailor them to our cars. :-)
Thanks given by:
It's a flat sheet thats big enough to do 6 door cards.

Poodle I appreciate what your saying about wanting plain plastics and it's actually something I've been considering. It's not fake carbon, it's a sheet of carbon laminated on the plastic.

I might weigh some door cards tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
How much do you reckon you'll get them out the door for? Excuse the pun
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
At a guess £100 plus vat plus postage to mine divide into 3 pairs than add onward postage and packaging in bubble wrap, Maybe £50 a pair for CF laminated and £30 a pair for plain ABS plastic. If you wanted me to make some sort of template and cut a hole for the handle and radius the lower corners with a jigsaw then maybe add £5-10 a card.

If theres enough interest I could look into a group buy and get the company to ship every buyer 2 sheets of 1100mm x 500mm in either material ready to be cut to shape by the buyer depending on if people want speakers, electric windows or winders and other bits of door furniture. That or I could have a f*ck load of sheets sent to mine for onward distribution from ace cafe or similar.
Thanks given by:
I'm interested....
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Only reason im intrested in is because im fed up with shitty stock door cards falling apart....
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I dont like doors without cards and I heard some MOT testers are funny about sharp edges of the inner door.
Thanks given by:
i thought it was only sharp edges on the outside?
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
I'd be interested. Front and rears cheers bud will look awesome
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
It would only look awsum if done well...its not just as simple as cutting a bit of plastic to the right size...the door isnt flat on its face, so it would have have to bend at the edges if proper edge spacer isnt used, which could look gash the window switchs and a handle need to be mounted, as without a closing handle, its a PITA, and also needs to be cut clean and sanded smooth etc to look decent...I think without it being a finished product, theres alot of work required to make it a "nice addition" and if your just after loosing some more weight, then strip the door card, and bolt a garden shed handle to the door and have done!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by: Nathan1305
FYI simon james in the 6 forum his a set of templates for door cards

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Rallye spec ftw, manual windows so no need to bugger around with mounting switches Smile see where your coming from Darren, but swear the normal CF ones are just flat? Or am i wrong?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I discovered what seems to be the best way. You buy cheap aluminium sheets and cut it to size and bolt/rivet it on but you wont to get it flocked. Then itll be pro and cheap Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2012, 07:08 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: It would only look awsum if done well...its not just as simple as cutting a bit of plastic to the right size...the door isnt flat on its face, so it would have have to bend at the edges if proper edge spacer isnt used, which could look gash the window switchs and a handle need to be mounted, as without a closing handle, its a PITA, and also needs to be cut clean and sanded smooth etc to look decent...I think without it being a finished product, theres alot of work required to make it a "nice addition" and if your just after loosing some more weight, then strip the door card, and bolt a garden shed handle to the door and have done!

Oh yeah definitely, Ive worked out how to remove most of the plastic from the leccy window switches so could make a little bracket for them.

Im aware that they would need finishing but its nothing a bit of wet and dry paper then some metal polish cant fix.

If you mount it below the level of the sticky outy bit at the top then the inside of the door is flat

Personaly I cant stand the look of bare doors so i want some sort of covering.

Sam ally sheet wont be as cheap as plastic and is more likely to rattle.

A standard door card weighs 2820g (passenger side) and thats without all the bits of trim like mirror covers, handle surround, speaker grille and such like.
Thanks given by:
Ok it's not fake, it's cf for tarts who are too cheap to do it properly. :p

Pretty sure having them pre-cut by the supplying company to suit individuals would put the price through the roof, if they're even willing to do it that is. If people want customised, chances are either you're going to have to do it or they are.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-09-2012, 07:48 AM)puglove Wrote: FYI simon james in the 6 forum his a set of templates for door cards

This! ^

Should be your first port of call. Speak to Simon, see what he recommends. How do you plan to cut the sheet?

Can you not just use a couple of pieces of this stuff? Clicky
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I am totally up for this if it can be cut to size and made of plain black - I will also need the speaker grill area to just be part of the main single piece please (i.e. not detachable) Smile
Thanks given by:
Iam up for this bud!!
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[attachment=21422]
[attachment=21423]
[attachment=21424]
[attachment=21425]
Thanks given by:
That looks nice.
Thanks given by:
They've been doing the rounds on Facebook so thought I would share... Really want some!
Thanks given by:
Those look sweet..! I'd be interested Smile
Thanks given by:
Yea would be interested price dependant.
Thanks given by:
I have pm'd streamline carbon today so watch this space

If there's enough genuine interest we could have a group buy on are hands. Big Grin
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
I'd see if Twangy can do anything, streamline aren't cheap
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Light Weight Door Cards TommiePuglet 19 4,221 03-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Ben
  Light Weight Door Cards TommiePuglet 2 1,432 29-10-2017, 08:47 PM