sump and HG block face

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sump and HG block face
Took the air con compressor off, removed all bolts, but the sump won't budge, so I'm guessing the sealant is holding it on pretty well. Would gentle heating with a blowtorch help shift it?

Also, did some work on the gasket mating face, do you think its pretty much ready for the new gasket?

[Image: IMAG0207.jpg]
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
there should be no shit on either face!, get sandpaper on the block, and get a straight edge on the head. Screwdriver between the sump and block to get it off!!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Been using emery paper all day, I know there's more to do but I think I'm nearly there!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
While heads off, might aswell take the opportunity to bolt on a bigger blower Wink
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2012, 07:29 PM)Dave Wrote: While heads off, might aswell take the opportunity to bolt on a bigger blower Wink

The whole reason I'm doing this Smile Putting my HDI rods in as well.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Oh brilliant, what turbo?
Thanks given by:
Just the norm, td04. Only because I need a new turbo and I can't be bothered to cook another standard One!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
As dave said i used a putty knife to prize sump off as was stuck with silicone,
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok cool will have a look after work tomorrow, done enough today!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Top of the block looks good, just watch there is no crap between the piston and cylinder
Thanks given by:
I think I managed to get some crap in cylinders 2 and 3, so need to try and clear them before removing the pistons.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
If you are removing the pistons dont worry about it, just clean it when there out. is there much of a polish on the cylinder walls?
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2012, 09:02 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: If you are removing the pistons dont worry about it, just clean it when there out. is there much of a polish on the cylinder walls?

Erm, they are quite shiny..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Put a honing tool in and cross hatch them
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2012, 10:00 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Put a honing tool in and cross hatch them

O i see what you mean, they are pretty crossed hatched, lots of criss cross lines everywhere.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
There there to allow oil in, if its polished the rings will wipe all the oil off causing it to wear out quicker
Thanks given by:
Sump still wont budge Sad Tried tapping a screwdriver between the sump and block, but only have a rubber mallet to hand so it's a waste of time I think Big Grin.. Can't believe how well attached it is with the sealant, the only bolts holding it on are all the allen headed ones right?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Should only be the allen bolts round it but have a look round it, the A/C pump holds it on too, try a thin knife like one of the snap off stanley's and cut the sealant.
Thanks given by:
Auxiliary bracket has to be off too buddy, it catches the edge of the sump... Sucks I know...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah the AC pump is off. I didn't see no bracket, will have a better look tomorrow. EDIT: done some research, do I have to take off the whole aux setup to get it off then? ie. the big spring by the pas pump etc?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Had a quick look this morning, couldn't see anything in the way, am I looking in the right place..?
[Image: IMAG0214.jpg]
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that whole aux bracket had to come off I'm 99% sure... From when I dropped mine I remember shouting and swearing and then realising that had to come off...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
bugger, for what I thought would be a simple job has turned into a real pain!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Reet arsewipe init, are you converting to steel sump?

If you are you've got a whole load of fun to come!
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2012, 03:38 PM)Ruan Wrote: Reet arsewipe init, are you converting to steel sump?

If you are you've got a whole load of fun to come!

Just removing it so I can get the rods out...
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Whats the advantage of a steel sump, just not so low?
Thanks given by:
Turns out nothing needed to be moved, tapped the sump with a proper hammer and is just dropped off easy. I think maybe the ones that get caught are on non ac models? O well, rods out now and pistons now connected to hdi rods..taking them off to get balanced tomorrow!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by: