Peugeot 307 - Anyone any experience?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 307 - Anyone any experience?
Well, the girlfriends Ford Puma failed it's MOT on Thursday, and we've decided that it's just not repairable. So, we went to VW this morning to see about one of their brand new Polo's on a finance thing, turned out that what they initially told us wasn't right and it would be a lot more (plus 3 years VW service costs on top!?). So we've decided to spend a bit more money than we usually would and get something a little bit newer. We'd normally spend £5-600 and they only tend to last a couple of years.

So, we've spotted a 307 at a local garage for the princely sum of £2k. It's a '51 plate HDi 90 LX, would I be correct in assuming that it's the same engine that's in the newer 306's? If so, most of the parts (engine wise) will be interchangeable, yes?

It's had a cam belt change already, with a mileage of 95k (according to the website), and we're off to see it in the morning.

Has anyone got any real experience of the 307? Is it a decent car? What are service/parts like cost wise? Similar to the 306?

Any other advice really?
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
my mate has a 307 hdi and i must say they are lovely to drive tbh!
service kit is relatively cheap for similar cars of the age but tbh im not sure if there same as the 306 hdi but for 2grand i cant see a reason why not since they are nice cars
Thanks given by:
My mate has a 307 with the 1.6hdi....nothing but problems!! Mostly engine related though, so the 2.0hdi 307 should be much better.
Thanks given by:
yeah i had an auto one for a while

was an ok drive, not great but not bad if you know what i mean

suffer with dodgy electrics throwing the airbag light up on the dash, but thats normaly the wires under the seats.
Thanks given by:
have heard from carl that the electrics on them are useless
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2012, 07:32 PM)swampy Wrote: yeah i had an auto one for a while

was an ok drive, not great but not bad if you know what i mean

suffer with dodgy electrics throwing the airbag light up on the dash, but thats normaly the wires under the seats.

(01-09-2012, 07:32 PM)declantg Wrote: have heard from carl that the electrics on them are useless

Lol, I was asking about the 307, not the 306! Sound very similar in build quality as well then if they suffer from similar issues, next you'll be telling me to check the door loom electrics Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Similar problems as a 306 then, except missing any redeeming factors -looks, handling, seating position and the modest running costs.

Sounds really tempting that!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
The sports seats are damn comfy in the xsi model chris!
Thanks given by:
my 306 has 307 110hp injectors in it!
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2012, 07:52 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The sports seats are damn comfy in the xsi model chris!

Really? Christ I never knew it had comfortable seats. Well I will change my opinion then, that is a wonderful feature.

I'll have to see about trading the 306 in tomorrow.

Comfortable seats. Well I never.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2012, 07:49 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Similar problems as a 306 then, except missing any redeeming factors -looks, handling, seating position and the modest running costs.

Sounds really tempting that!

True, but her car history is hardly glittering with gems (Saxo, VW Polo 6n, Puma...) so it's a step in the right direction to have her considering a Pug!

And the running costs aren't too bad, claims of 60mpg (probably closer to 45-50 though) and £120/year tax, her Puma was £120/6 months in tax.

Insurance on the Puma is close to £800 TPFT, and will drop to about £450 TPFT.

All in all, a cheaper prospect than what she's driving.

But I do sorta see what you mean.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2012, 08:00 PM)c.a.r. Wrote:
(01-09-2012, 07:52 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The sports seats are damn comfy in the xsi model chris!

Really? Christ I never knew it had comfortable seats. Well I will change my opinion then, that is a wonderful feature.

I'll have to see about trading the 306 in tomorrow.

Comfortable seats. Well I never.

I was looking for a redeeming feature, that's all I found haha!
Thanks given by:
There good cars tbh, had one for around 6 months (110 dturbo). I'd say the 90's gonna feel a bit strained as there quite heavy compaired to the 306.

Imo 2k is miles over priced though, sold my 02 one for 1800 a year ago, was newer, better specd, brand new clutch and flywheel etc.

Get on ebay and you pick up a 03 hdi dturbo for a smidge over 2k
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
need to watch the dual mass flywheel and dpf, but a neighbour had one and he was chuffed to bits. he used it as a shopping cart and commuter, after he replaced the dpf for a pipe and got it deleted it was fine
Thanks given by:
As above too actualy, the dmf when on mine the day after I took the deposit.
This is related to the 110 only models though as the 90s didn't have either.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I found them comfy and spacious
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2012, 10:11 PM)Popeye_6 Wrote: need to watch the dual mass flywheel and dpf, but a neighbour had one and he was chuffed to bits. he used it as a shopping cart and commuter, after he replaced the dpf for a pipe and got it deleted it was fine

(01-09-2012, 11:06 PM)Chris Wrote: As above too actualy, the dmf when on mine the day after I took the deposit.
This is related to the 110 only models though as the 90s didn't have either.

Aye, I didn't think the 90 engines had DMF/DPF's otherwise the 306 HDi's would also suffer (what with it being the same engine).

(02-09-2012, 03:35 AM)MrsMidnight Wrote: I found them comfy and spacious

That's good to know ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
Well, as an update we've bought the latter car, picking it up tomorrow.

Went to see the first one, it was very nice and the woman on the forecourt said they'd stick 4 new tyres on it when I pointed out that they were all almost on the limits. Very clean bodywork and had 9months MOT.

Then we went to see the second car, and whilst the bodywork is a little tatty (few car park scuffs, nothing a good polish/touch up won't sort) it has a whole host of factory fitted extras that just make it so much more than the first one. It's got A/C, electric windows all round, electric (folding) mirrors, satnav/computer thingy, alloys etc etc. The GF fell in love with it, really nice feel to drive. We didn't get much knocked off the price but he has paid for a full years tax (he offered to get the scuffs fixed for us but we need the car ASAP, and I have a mate who can do it for me on the cheap).

So yeah, photos will follow (but probably not until the weekend as the GF is working lates all week so I won't get to see it much).
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Track Experience Mighty306 8 2,202 03-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Alan_M
  TerraClean - Anyone have first hand experience? Ben 22 6,603 27-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Last Post: anto
  Any body have experience with rover diesels? crumpy 5 2,416 15-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Last Post: crumpy