Flywheel has two timing holes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flywheel has two timing holes?
Im having a bit of problem with my timing after trying to test out an unknown condition bosch pump.

I locked everything in position then took the belt off, swapped over the pumps tightened the belt back up and bled the system. Started the car and it sounds awful.

Here's a video.

[Image: th_Video0009.jpg]

My first thought is timing is completely out so i lined up the fly and sure enough the camshaft was well out so set about lining it all up again.

So i do what i should have done before and crank it over by hand and it goes out of line again, im using the flywheel to locate itself beofre the cam pulley, but i decide to spin it more and from what i gather there must be two locating holes in the flywheel.

Im pretty sure what i have just written is confusing and jumbled up but does anyone have a clue what ive done wrong?

Im replacing the engine anyway with another and don't really want to make same mistake.
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hello mate yh there is 2 I think lol .I don't lock the flywheel off just get cylinder 1 at tdc and lock cam and pump and u should be ok hope that helps mate
Thanks given by:
Other problem is that really bad knocking sound which worries me. What happens if the camshaft is 180 degrees ou, have been reading that its quite easy to get that wrong.
Thanks given by:
You cant really get the camshaft 180 out...it only locks in one place... if you rotate engine a few times and re lock it, it can appear to be 180 out, but its not, just need to turn crank another turn...camshaft goes half crank remember so you have just stopped it at a different point in the 4 stroke cycle...

As for 2 holes, yes there is, but only one is the bigger size...you will know ur right as if engine is good, once its locked, the rest will lock off...

Cant view the video btw as bandwidth is exceeded...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the pump timing needs retarding
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2012, 05:26 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: You cant really get the camshaft 180 out...it only locks in one place... if you rotate engine a few times and re lock it, it can appear to be 180 out, but its not, just need to turn crank another turn...camshaft goes half crank remember so you have just stopped it at a different point in the 4 stroke cycle...

As for 2 holes, yes there is, but only one is the bigger size...you will know ur right as if engine is good, once its locked, the rest will lock off...

Cant view the video btw as bandwidth is exceeded...

So what happens if someone happens to have taken the camshaft out then turn it 180 and put it back in thinking it was wrong lol. looks like i will be returning that back tommorrow hehe.

(25-08-2012, 05:43 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Sounds like the pump timing needs retarding

So i guess i need to loosen the mounting bolts and spin the pump slightly? im going to say retarding it is to pull the top towards me so in affect the pulley moves anticlockwise?

Im new to all this mechanical xud engine so i know very little.
Thanks given by:
You put the belt on wrong thats why this has happened dude.

If you go from Crank to pump to cam when fitting the belt then it'll end up a tooth out on the cam when you release the tensioner and pins. You need to go cam-pump-crank.

Kris
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2012, 02:08 PM)peza- Wrote: Hello mate yh there is 2 I think lol .I don't lock the flywheel off just get cylinder 1 at tdc and lock cam and pump and u should be ok hope that helps mate

Most f*ck-tarded post ever...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Why is it ? Aslong as u have cylinder 1 at tdc and lock the cam pully and pump pully u will be ok try it then remove the starter and I bet u will be bang on then u can insert flywheel pin if u won't but not every one cba to remove the starter or thay don't have the flywheel locking tool
Thanks given by:
My flywheel locking tool consist of an allen key taped to a screw driver Smile

The car is running a lot quieter now but idles at 2000rpm still, and ive tried idle screws which did nothing i tried the max fuel and it goes down but as soon as it reach's 1500rpm it cuts out.

I rang poodle who has told me to turn the throttle arm one spline, but am i missing something else simpler (the throttle cable isn't too tight ive checked)
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2012, 12:11 PM)peza- Wrote: Why is it ? Aslong as u have cylinder 1 at tdc and lock the cam pully and pump pully u will be ok try it then remove the starter and I bet u will be bang on then u can insert flywheel pin if u won't but not every one cba to remove the starter or thay don't have the flywheel locking tool

The second most f*ck-tarded post ever...

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
How do you know where cyl1 tdc is.... Oh wait that's locking off the flywheel...

If you say time it up by bringing the cam and pump to tdc then you have no clue...

Also why is there a need to remove the starter...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Agree with conner and ruan, unless head isnt on hpw can you tell your at tdc, you cant!! Its easy to slide a 5/6mm allen key long end you can use the shorter part to push it in with your fingers from under the starter without removal....simples

As for idle there are 2 adjustments on back of pump screwdriver slots with a 10mm locknut...have you tried losening the right hand one to see if this drops the idle especially if the max fuel screwing out causes it to cutout, if this doesnt cure it then as youve mentioned you may need to nock the arm back a spline..

Has it still got anti stall screw in the back which the throttle arm rests on in idle position take this out and you can grind the little stop of the arm to let the throttle arm go back a few mm

Hope this helps pal
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well you could take an injector out and stick a screwdriver down to work out tdc, but that's a farce and its alot easier to stick something in the fly /selfgigidy

So ill stick by my original drunken comment lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2012, 09:08 PM)Connor Wrote: Well you could take an injector out and stick a screwdriver down to work out tdc, but that's a farce and its alot easier to stick something in the fly /selfgigidy

So ill stick by my original drunken comment lol

Haha love drunken posts :p
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cutting boost holes!! silverzx 6 1,991 10-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile