New big end bearings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New big end bearings
When I put my new shells in, should I run different oil for a while to let them run in properly? Guy at the engine shop said I should run cheap oil for a bit so I don't glaze the new shells?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I normally just do two short oil / filter changes on some cheapy oil....then run decent again.

They used to say use some old mineral oil to start out / proper run in oil to get stuff to bed in on older stuff, but new stuff is machined well enough to not worry, just some crappy oil to save killing decent for first 500 miles, and then your good to go tbh...wont be any issues as not much wears on these...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2012, 05:24 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: I normally just do two short oil / filter changes on some cheapy oil....then run decent again.

They used to say use some old mineral oil to start out / proper run in oil to get stuff to bed in on older stuff, but new stuff is machined well enough to not worry, just some crappy oil to save killing decent for first 500 miles, and then your good to go tbh...wont be any issues as not much wears on these...

Cool cheers. May keep my Millers 'til after they are worn in then, will get some cheapo Halfords stuff first.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I always stick cheapo stuff in for 1000ish miles then change it for something decent. Gsf do some cheapo stuff that is 12.00+vat for 5 liters wouldnt use it forever but would be fine for that.
Thanks given by:
Big end bearings aren't really something that need "running in" - they're essentially only for cold starts, once the engine is up to temperature and the oil is doing it's job properly, you're running on a film of oil, if you've got metal>metal contact, that bearing surface will be knackered in seconds! IMHO just change the oil a bit sooner - say run it for 500 miles, then just go straight for the good oil... Piston rings fair enough, they do take a good amount of bedding in, you get a good amount of leakage past the rings for the first few miles which does in the oil... But big end bearings shouldn't need it at all.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Im good with big end bearings Wink x
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by: