Kill it with fire..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kill it with fire..
After having spent a long time putting my new engine, pump and turbo together... It doesn't want to fire!!!! Typical... But no amount of bleeding is going to get it going.

I'm going to recheck my timing tomorrow but it should be spot on. So that leaves my pump. I've rebuilt it from scratch using parts from several others. I'm confident I've rebuilt it correctly and the camplate is correctly timed. Vanes pumps not stuck

Now, because I don't have a priming grenade I plumbed in an inline pump to help bleed it. Noticed banjo is pissing out fuel where it meets the body. Despite new fibre washers. Also leaking from gov lever screw (the three pointed weird screw) even though it is fully tightened. Got it started with some brake cleaner sprayed into inlet but it didn't rev when the accel was pressed and just cut out. Which would point to mybe the timing being out

Removed the inline pump so it's back to vane pump suction... Obvious it's now just pulling air from banjo and gov bolt... Now my question is, is there anything causing excess build up of pressure internally? Something that I've done wrong while re assembling the pump?

I modified the advance piston by just grinding it 4/5 mm but that wouldn't cause it. Also has a 10mm head and standard gov mod. So doubt any internal mods have been cocked up. The external reverse threaded screw that holds the flyweights has been re screwed in the same amount as it was before so doubt that's got anything to do with it.

The solenoid is working too when removed but I might remove it and try it without in case it's sticking. I think it's just the air ingression. Probs why it cuts out/ didn't rev. But why would it be doing that?! I'd welcome any input! So fkin annoying and as much as I hate to say it.. Am no longer living for the 306 Sad if it doesn't start up tomorrow I'm SORNing it. Had enough, too much time and money wasted! // rant
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
If I where you I'd try getting hold of a priming grenade and sort out the leaks before giving up. I remember trying to start mine after the engine change without a primer and it was a no-no till that was fitted.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Have you got the correct DV? next thing i would check is the throttle lever is set correctly
Thanks given by:
Ideally yeah, but I've managed to bleed the system without a primer for the last year, albeit with some added difficulty. Where it leaked is now where air is getting into the pump with the electric inline pump removed. When i removed the banjo, i noticed tonnes of small bubbles in the fuel/veg. As new washers have been used, i'm puzzled as to why its leaking/ingressing air at the banjo and gov bolt- unless there is excess pressure building up inside the pump - which is what i need to determine. And if so, why.

Yes, the 9mm pug DVs have been used and the lever was correctly marked/reset as i have done in the past. Cheers

Thanks given by:
Check shit hasnt gone to injectors sticking them open and forcing compression back to your pump airing it up. Take off your lines and put diesel in the top of injectors and crank that will tell you Wink check you have decent pump pressure, get an injector hooked up external to the head to see if its firing first off, and go from there
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers Dave. I'll have a look shortly. Literally pull an injector out while still hooked up to the pump yh? Also, do you think it could have anything to do with the pressure regulating valve being jammed/rusted up? The main pump body was rusted initially but that's the only area I've not opened, cleaned and checked. I'd check the internal pressure but my dad wants my 306 out the garage today so don't think I'll have time

Thanks given by:
couple of bits id check....

1) air isnt helping. if fuel is leaking out theres a good chance air is getting in.

2) have you bled it to the injectors, not just to the pump?

3) stop solenoid. does that have 12v going to it?

4) important : wear gloves and face protection. you do not want to be getting hit by diesel at high pressure. be safe handling fuel especially at the injectors
Thanks given by:
I had fuel leak out of that triangle bolt on an old pump. Turned out the leavers had completly come off its pivot. I would take the lid off and see whats going on, either way that bolt will have to be removed and replaced with a new washer Sad
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
After re reading it I'd just double check the solenoid works/is getting a voltage.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Solenoids working by the looks of it - might just swap from the old pump. The pump and injectors/lines have been bled too. There is fuel getting to the injectors - albeit it not a great amount. And the injectors are not stuck open. I didn't get a chance to crank it over with an injector out to see if its injecting fuel properly.. but, i have determined that there is a lot of air ingressing at the banjo and if its cranked for a while, the internal pump pressure is building up so much that fuel acutally starts leaking out of the banjo (and the gov lever bolts). Its not a small leak either!

I cranked the bugger for ages and with a lot of easy start down the inlet, it started up and motored away on chemicals - partial success! Towards the end it seemed like it was wanting to start, firing on half cylinders - at the same time the fuel started pissing out meaning air was no longer getting into the pump! So maybe theres a chance it will work if i can sort the leaks.

Londondan - i should just be able to remove one of the gov lever bolts and replace it and the washer right as the other side will hold the lever in place? Been a while since ive been near the pump.

I will try replacing the copper washers on the banjo and see if that stops the air getting in and will change out the solenoid. Apart from that, i think i'm done for a year as unis starting soon Sad Sad

Thanks anyways guys

Thanks given by:
No,mate, if only it were that easy! The lever set is under spring tension so as soon as the bolt is removed it will spring out of place (assuming it hasnt done so already).
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  fire seals ! jonnynitro 8 1,483 07-07-2014, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Slight miss fire sherman306 19 2,878 10-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Last Post: sherman306